• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, I love the Dremel now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Yep, it’s happened. I have turned from the dark side, and I now embrace the Dremel tool as my friend. For years the only one I’ve had was an old Sears 28,000 rpm single speed which was technically not a true Dremel I guess, but it was close enough. It was given to me as a present about six or seven years ago??? (Not sure when, but it was very soon after Dremels came out). Anyway, I’ve had this piece of crap (I hate Sears) for what seems like forever, but I never really used it all that much cuz it was loud and it was too fast. It was pretty much only good for cutting metal, grinding and sharpening stuff and carving wood. Well, I don’t carve wood, I have a knife sharpener and the only time I really need to cut sheet metal is when I’m working on a PC case. And for that I use a jigsaw and my trusty 18v drills. :D And any other time I need some metal cut, I use my reciprocating saw. (One of my favorite tools) But lately I’ve been using it a lot while working on my water cooled setup, cutting plastic and such. But since mine runs at 28,000 rpms, it doesn’t work all that good cuz it melts it. Grrrrr. So after messing up yet another part for my system, I was really disgusted with my “Dremel look alike”. I never wanted to see another one again, much less use one. But as fate may have it, the Dremel display at Lowe’s caught my eye today while I was buying some more stuff for my PC. I glanced at one, then at the price and I almost died. 80 bucks, for that evil little tool?? But then I took a good look at it and saw all the stuff that came with it. A Dremel MultiPro with variable speed (5,000-35,000rpm), a nice case and 75 accessories including a flex shaft and a keyless chuck (sweet!). I thought about it for a minute, then thought what the heck, I can always bring it back if I don’t like it, so I got it. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! This thing is SOOOOOO much better than my other one. The variable speed rocks!! I can polish stuff, I can cut plastic I can do anything!!! I love this tool!! I just polished up my heater core and cut some perfect holes in some plexi for my res. I can’t say how much I like this thing. :D :D

May the Dremel be with you, always. :D

cyber mouse45 said:
May the Dremel be with you, always. :D

Well put!~!
The dremel is the tool for all when it comes to case modding... I dont care what anyone says. I also recently got the variable speed. Ive been using it to polish up my plexi waterblock, cut the metal for my case.. everything.. agreed that it is just toot schweet!~!

I agree the Dremel helped me a lot, but I must say watch how you use those grinding bits, cause if you end up as bad as me you'll eat it up.... man I'm not good at that stuff :(

The trick with that is actually very suprising... I heard it but didnt understand it until I started cutting my window out. I started off just doing it. I was going through the bits like wild.... So I started trying to slow down so I could watch better on how bad they were being eaten up and what I was doing to cause them to be chewwed up like that... and holy shizbamdiddly... They started lasting me 3 or 4 times longer than before.... I think I heard it put best. Let the dremel do all the work... no pressure at all... Just let the spinning wheel do it all... Take it real easy and slow.
It will cut that metal like butter.... and you wont fly through those bits.... I know it gets annoying when your wanting to finish it up, but trust me it works great, and you can watch your cuts much closer too!~!

I just got a Dremel yesterday. I tried to use it to cut a blowhole in the top of the case but the noise was so intense it almost killed my cats. (sorta funny) I thought that for a round hole I should use one of the straight cutting bits. Is this wrong? Should I be using the cutting WHEELS instead. Bear in mind I'm cutting a round hole.

LoL, highly understandable.. hell, I know plenty of people that go running when I start that thing up!~!

Alot of people do the round cutting differently. I personally just use the regular bit and cut it out, then use all the other stuff to shape it up and make it puuurty.... But some say other methods... But I like doing it that way so I can make sure its the right size and all, then take my time getting it just right...

I have been using the Dremel for almost a year, and it took me this long to find out that where I was cutting through a section, moving the wheel and doing another section, could be done simply by holding the cutting wheel on my line. Also, I finally used the flexible extension to do a cut in a bad spot, making me regret I hadn't learned this stuff much sooner. Of course, though, I still use my trusty nibbler for certain hole cuts, too.

stool said:
Of course, though, I still use my trusty nibbler for certain hole cuts, too.

Ya know, I’ve never used a nibbler before. :p How does it work?

cyber mouse45 said:
Ya know, I’ve never used a nibbler before. :p How does it work?
It looks like a rivet gun. When you pull the handles together, a metal block at the top cuts out a small sliver of metal. You have to have a pilot hole at least 5/16" wide to use it though. It's good for some jobs, but if you try to do any major cutting with it your hand will get sore.

I just got one of these for my Dremel today. It’s so cool. Arrgghh I wish I had had one last week, it would have saved me a lot of trouble. :p

Hey you guys keep going on about a Dremel but in my experience in cutting a wide range of materials in wood, plastics & metal you can not better a Jigsaw. That is a fact.

Acko

I disagree. I do like jigsaws, dont get me wrong. But due to the way they work, it vibrates the metal way to much. I personally dont have the equipment to tie it down so it doesnt. So in turn, the dremel, IMO is the best.

I just got mine the other day, and there is no comparison from scoring and punchin on plexi. Extremely useful, best investment i made in a while. If you dont got one, GET ONE!!!

Has anyone tried that rotozip upright cutter? Its like the adapter in the picture. I was wondering how well that cuts through metal?

The roto zip type tools that you are talking about work well with plexi, wood, drywall. But i don't think it will fare so well on metal. I doubt that the special side cutting bits would be able to stand up to cutting metal. They would probably cut but they would get extremely hot and it would dull the bit very rapidly. It's better to use the cutting wheels and just let the dremel do the work. Or you can look for the diamond coated cut off wheels. They are a nice addition to your dremel arsenal.

check the sig boys :D A dremel tool and a dream. Aww AHHH AAAA *the angles sing

zoopa_man said:
The roto zip type tools that you are talking about work well with plexi, wood, drywall. But i don't think it will fare so well on metal. I doubt that the special side cutting bits would be able to stand up to cutting metal. They would probably cut but they would get extremely hot and it would dull the bit very rapidly. It's better to use the cutting wheels and just let the dremel do the work. Or you can look for the diamond coated cut off wheels. They are a nice addition to your dremel arsenal.

check the sig boys :D A dremel tool and a dream. Aww AHHH AAAA *the angles sing

thats why you need a tungstion carbide cutting bit. i have two. one is designed for soft materals like wood plastic and soft metals and the other is for hard metals like cast iron, stainless steel, ceramics, hardened steel, ect.

Back