• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

on my last straw here with AMD or asrock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

here are the complete list of problems am having.

with 12.8 drivers i was getting

- random crashes in hl2

- some microstutter in sleeping dogs (then the game wouldnt start)

- sometimes when i am playing sleeping dogs, the whole system will freeze up and show vertical black and white lines.

- tried the 12.9 beta drivers which got rid of the memclock problem where the second cards mem clock would rev up to 1200mhz and then back down after playing a game. however the system still freezes in sleeping dogs and half life 2 crashes to where i have to use task manager

- did the ulps thing and it still persists.

im at my breaking point here with either AMD or asrock. i say this because from what i read on other sites, the motherboard is usually the issue. even both cards worked fine after testing them individually on the first PCI express slot.

the last thing i could suspect is that the second pci express slot is defective. am i wrong? what else could i try?

Did you do any upgrades/updates lately?
Did the issue exist previously?
Have you run any stress tests(memtest, unigine heaven, prime)
Are you oc'ing or stock when the problems come up?
Have you checked your voltages from your psu loaded/idle with a dmm?
What hdd? Maybe run a diagnostic on that too.

Try rolling back your drivers to 12.6. I had a lot of trouble on my 7770 with the 12.7beta drivers with system crashes, monitor not waking up, and crashing to a stripes during game or idle. 12.8 fixed it for me, but before that came out, I rolled back to 12.6 and it fixed all of those problems.
The microstuttering could be caused by your crossfire configuration, but again, that would be solved with some good drivers.

Also, did you try one card on just the second pcie port? I wouldn't declare it defective just yet.

Did you do any upgrades/updates lately?
Did the issue exist previously?
Have you run any stress tests(memtest, unigine heaven, prime)
Are you oc'ing or stock when the problems come up?
Have you checked your voltages from your psu loaded/idle with a dmm?
What hdd? Maybe run a diagnostic on that too.

i didnt have these issues until now. one of the reasons why i suspect its motherboard....

i ran heaven bench mark which ran great. got an FPS of 64.9 and a score of 38 soemthing.

sometimes when i run GPU-Z, the system will freeze.

Try rolling back your drivers to 12.6. I had a lot of trouble on my 7770 with the 12.7beta drivers with system crashes, monitor not waking up, and crashing to a stripes during game or idle. 12.8 fixed it for me, but before that came out, I rolled back to 12.6 and it fixed all of those problems.
The microstuttering could be caused by your crossfire configuration, but again, that would be solved with some good drivers.

Also, did you try one card on just the second pcie port? I wouldn't declare it defective just yet.

i am going to go ahead and do that.

i also did an RMA but im going to keep that on hold.

reverting to 12.6....that didnt fix the issue!

testing cards in the 8x slot....still get the freezes. however im playing sleeping dogs on the 16x slot and its not even freezing. running real good too.

anyway, ill go right ahead with teh mother board replacement. if anyone has any other ideas, maybe look for osme black stuff on the mother board (which i dont see, have only a 5mp cam, and the forums wont allow strictly over 2.00mb), please let me know. thanks in advance all of you.

Last edited:
Stock or oc?
What brand of 7870's?

well i am using a stock cooler for the CPU. not overclocking the cpu right now.

both the cards are MSI HAWK R7870. they both run fine in the first PCIe slot (16x) but not the second slot (8x)

EDIT: i forgot to mention that i had a graphics card that was in my crossfire setup which came defective. at one time it made a spark or pop sound and i immediatly shut the system off. rebooted and it went to windows fine...but i still had crashing problems with it so i RMA'd the card.

now that i have two workign cards, it seems the defective cards damage may have spread to the 8x slot....idk thats just my hypothesis.

(OH! THERE HE GOES AGAIN USING DEM FANZY WURDS)

anyway, i just got the shipping label and ill be printing that out. illl send the board out tomorrow. good thing i have plenty of anti static bags.

Last edited:
boards packed up. and im back on my Pentium 3. back to old school gaming.

at least most of my favorite games are on the gldsrc engine (8D)

Back