• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock stable - but not in games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

Hi all,

I OC'd my Q9650 to 4.05Ghz - ran P95 for a couple of hours - it was stable - then ran 3D06 and it was stable - ran P95 at same time as 3D06 - it was stable - then when i load modern warfare 2 - it BSOD's on me!!!!!

I thought it was the ram - so i put them to stock - it still BSOD'd on me!

It works fine with cpu at 3.6Ghz!

Mobo - Asus P5Q Deluxe - RAM Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 2*2Gb kit C5

any ideas guys???

I increased my vFSB and my vNB and vCore and still it BSOD'd on me!!!

when i say increased - by like 0.02v on all the above - you think it needs a lot more??

Thanks

1.225v - its stable in P95 - i stopped it at 3.5 hours - as i couldn't be bothered waiting!

You can run P95 while gaming and it wont hurt your gamign performance.

3.5 hours isnt long enough. Have you tried running LINX to accompany it? Give LINX 20-25 passes w/ full ram + do 6-8 hours P95. If it passes both, it SHOULD be able to game.

Obviously something isnt stable. 1.225v is bios or CPUz voltage? Sounds like your voltage may still be low on the CPU.

1.225 in bios!!?? Thats probably around 1.2v in windows (maybe slightly less). 4ghz on a quad @ that voltage would be INCREDIBLE, but its probably not to be. You most likely need a bit more vcore. Id try setting your bios VCore to 1.3v to start. If it flies, start lowering it till it becomes unstable (although, 3 hours P95, you may only need to set it to 1.26v or so, 1.3 is just to test more or less).

you can run prime and linx at the same time :shock:
wait does linx test ram as well?
cause prime does both, i just use blend
anyways yea im worried about that
that ill get my cpu stable and then ill play a game and it will crash
i must say thats a fcuking low core voltage on that quad lol
good work but yea might be too low

Yes, LINX tests ram. LINX is much more intensive than P95, although I believe in using both for stability. LINX will use any amount of ram you specifiy, from virtually none to all of your available ram.

You need mo' voltage to the CPU - crashing games is a clear sign the CPU is not stable, even when you can pass 3DMark and run Prime for a couple hours.

ok then guys......i'll set vcore to 1.25v to start with...

and yes you're right - 1.225v in bios was about 1.92v in windows!!!!!!

i think ive got a good chip here...it was so easy to boot at 4ghz - i recon it'll easily do way more once ive stablised it!! 4.25ghz im hopin 4!!!

i'll post my results when ive run 10 loops of linx!

right then...its passed 10 loops of linx - this time at 455*[email protected]

i upped vcore to 1.25v/cpu pll to 1.56v/vNb to 1.26v/vfsb to 1.24v

this seems to work in all games after it passed 10 loops of linx - i'll shoot for 20 passes like doz said - then i'll leave p95 on overnight

btw - 1.25v in bios = 1.248v in windows

i did think 1.225v was too good to be true as well! my E8500 needs 1.38v to get to 4.1Ghz!

Back