• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked @ 185 x 9 but question is, do I have to change my HDD PIO to mode 2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gouki

Overclocked @ 185 x 9 but question is, do I have to change my HDD PIO to mode 2 ?

I've did a high FSB overclocking 185 x 9 on my AthlonXP 1500+ My question is, will I have to change my harddisk PIO mode to something lower, like mode 2 or 3 to prevent data loss and my harddisk crashing ?

I've got a Quantum Fireball 7200rpm.

No, keep your PIO (or hopefully DMA if available) modes as they should be. Lowering those modes won't help your harddrive much in high FSB oc'ing.

Basically, its the bus itself that is overclocked, NOT the datarate from the mobo to the hdd and vice versa. Overclocking also overclocks the PCI bus based on your dividers...

For a great read, see Ed's PCI Primer:
http://www.overclockers.com/pci

So keep your HDD set at its standard settings...no need to have 8mb/s data transfers while oc'd :)

Mike

Thanks a lot Breadfan. I was afraid of crashing my harddisk :) I guess I'll just put them into the best settings and enable everything back.

No problem! Just make sure you read Ed's PCI Primer I linked to. If you are worried about the harddrive crashing than that is reading you must do. You'll want to know when your running your PCI devices around or above 40mhz becuase that is entering potentially dangerous territory for harddrives...

Mike

Back