• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKING EXPERTS READ THIS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devsain

Heyy, im new around here and new to overclocking and after reading this guide http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316 and a few other guides on the net it got me thinking about overclocking my machine to 3.0 Ghz.

SPECS:
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8600GTS 675MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Chan

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box

Extras for OVERCLOCK:

2 added Yate Loon D12SL-12 120MM Fan 1350RPM 47CFM 28DB 3PIN & 4PIN Sleeve Bearing OEM

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM

------------------

i understand every build is different and can withstand different stresses, but i want you guys to kinda tell me what setting i should put to get to my 3.0 ghz and not damage my computer keeping in mind my specs above :)

And if possible let me know if you think i cant overclock it to 3.0 ghz and what you think a good speed to have it at is good, im also worried about what the guide said 1:1 ratio for the ram and something about lowering my video card speed in order for it not to burn out when i overclock my processor, can you please shed some light on what i should do to my ram and video card to get it at that ratio?

Thanks alot for the help :)

:welcome: to the Forums !!

What cooling do your have on that Q6600?, hopefully aftermarket...

I suggest you set your FSB to 400, and RAM at 1:1 with FSB, that will give you 3.2 GHz (8 x 400, multi at 8)
You will need about 1.4 - 1.45 v-core and you'll have to bunp up your MCH (North Bridge) voltage 2-3 nothces on your Gigabyte board
That should be quite doable with your setup

Last edited:
currently using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM to cool my processor, isnt it bad to do multiplyer 8 and higher FSB cause that causes more voltage to be used and makes the system hotter keep in mind i want my red line to be no greater then 60c to 65c under load

Hmm well you told me what i should set my processor to and voltage and im very greatful for your help but what about what the guide said about the video card about lowering its speed? and do you think i should change my ram speed too?

Hmm well you told me what i should set my processor to and voltage and im very greatful for your help but what about what the guide said about the video card about lowering its speed? and do you think i should change my ram speed too?

No, your video card has nothing to do with your CPU speed, also if you set your RAM:FSB ratio to 1:1 your RAM will be at stock speed - 800 MHz, that is double the FSB at 400 MHz as you have DDR (Dual Data Rate) RAM

:welcome: to the forums!

as well make sure you set pcie speed to 101. with the gigabyte boards you need to hit CTRL+F1 to get to the advanced menu in the bios. as Brolloks said for starters go 1:1 ratio but for that board set the ram multi to 2x. that tells the board to run the ram at 2x the fsb, so when your at 400mhz it is running the ram at ddr2-800 speeds.

thank you guys for the warm welcome i havnt had that happen in alot of forms ive been too, and thank you so much for the help :) its really greatly appreciated.

Lemme see if i got this right so i should

put FSB to 400
ram at 1:1 with FSB
multi at 8
1.4-1.45 vcore
MCH (North Bridge) voltage 2-3 nothces
pcie speed to 101
ram multi to 2x

anything else? it would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot again guys ;)

Welcome to O/C Forums! :welcome:

Looks like you have the basics covered. Just keep your eyes on the temps. If anything goes wrong ( which it won't, but just incase) shut down the PC and clear the cmos vis jumper. ( refer to the motherboard's manual). Once the cmos is cleared it will reset itself back to the default settings and you can start over.

Good luck!

I'd be careful increasing the MCP voltage on the DS3L as it's already very hot (65c load)...

Don't jump right into 400FSB. Do 300FSB and work your way up 25's til 350 then 10's.

That way you got a much safer smoother overclock. Make sure to test for stability with Orthos Prime. Just google it.

and :welcome: !

Once again i would like to thank you guys so much for your help youve really made this alot easier for me than alot of forums out there.

Okay so before i started i wanted to have a control before i did my test so here is my temps under load for default factory settings:

defaultoverclockzk5.jpg

This next pic is me trying my own setting with a few of the ones you guys suggested, note that i use auto voltage control and set the fsb to 333 X9 multi

firstoverclockxo0.jpg

In this last pic i used the setting you guys suggested it booted up nicely with 1.4 vcore and im even thinking of setting it down to see if i can reach a lower vcore and run safely :) i also pushed my MCH only 2 notchs and it ran smooth

Here is the pic

overclock2qc8.jpg

-----

now you should note that each stress test was done from a range of 1 minute to 3 minutes, i didnt test for stability and the reason is i was worried about the temps two different applications reading two different temps which kinda got me worried. Anyway i want you guys to decide for me which overclock to go with and if i should even overclock seeing my temps that are coming up. Also keep in mind my red line is 60c to 65c :)

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP AGAIN :)

stick with coretemp its much more correct for temps... nice oc for a first time :thup: if i recall on quads you can go to 80c and not worry.. looks like you have a bit of room to hit 3.4ghz..

I think the reason a lot of these guides are difficult for new people is because the guides are generally for finding the max overclock of your chip. With the intel chips they are all pretty much guaranteed to get to 3.2ghz. So when someone just wants a speed boost, but doesn't care about getting that last 200mhz or so, just telling them exactly 1.4-1.5v, 400mhz bus speed, ram 1:1 makes everything oh so much easier.

80c sounds really hot to me, especially for a quad...

hmm so your certain the readings for my overclock that got me 3.2ghz and temp reading of 65c to 70c is okay under load?

I'm not sure, but i remember reading core temp had some bugs or something in the past(someone correct me if I'm wrong please). I use Intel Thermal analysis tool aka TAT. That is supposidly the most accurate of the different tools. If you're within 62-66 with the TAT 100% workload running then take whichever one is the fastest. Also the voltages are no longer displayed correctly after a certain point as you can see the voltages are all over the place. So I'd suggest just setting your voltage to 1.4 so you know its not overvolting too much with auto.

Just my opinion but I am not comfortable above 70c with mine. Folding puts more of a strain on mine then a load test, and I can't stay stable much above 70c.(Thats any one of the four cores since two run cooler)

If others are pushing out to 80c 24/7 God bless them. Anyhow if its stable you'll still upgrade before you use up the life of it.

Heyy, im new around here and new to overclocking and after reading this guide http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316 and a few other guides on the net it got me thinking about overclocking my machine to 3.0 Ghz.

SPECS:
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8600GTS 675MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN >500W< 120MM Fan

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Chan

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box

Extras for OVERCLOCK:

2 added Yate Loon D12SL-12 120MM Fan 1350RPM 47CFM 28DB 3PIN & 4PIN Sleeve Bearing OEM

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM

------------------

i understand every build is different and can withstand different stresses, but i want you guys to kinda tell me what setting i should put to get to my 3.0 ghz and not damage my computer keeping in mind my specs above :)

And if possible let me know if you think i cant overclock it to 3.0 ghz and what you think a good speed to have it at is good, im also worried about what the guide said 1:1 ratio for the ram and something about lowering my video card speed in order for it not to burn out when i overclock my processor, can you please shed some light on what i should do to my ram and video card to get it at that ratio?

Thanks alot for the help :)

Dev,

:welcome:

Out of curiosity, what specific power supply do you have?

thx for the welcome ^_^,
the power supply came with the case, 500w power :D

lol and im still confused if i should go with the 3.2 ghz over clock or not? I really dont wanna shorten the life of my proc so i wanna try and keep the temps down that way it lasts longer, opinions?

Back