• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats an known issue with the motherboard actually. I pulled my 990FX-UD3 and dropped in my Sabertooth R2.0 and all of my voltages read way lower than they did on the gigabyte, or any of the four other motherboards I connected to the same PSU.

Don't trust the reading to be 100% accurate with windows based software. My HWmonitor readings are never totally accurate. Mine always seem to read low, I tested my rails with a multimeter, out of curiosity, they are all fine.

Last edited:
So your saying just rather a "Glitch" with the motherboard than a PSU issue?

Pretty much. Every Sabertooth R2.0 user Ive seen posting screens, including myself, the main voltages are all reported WAY to low. It cant be that every single one of us has a faulty PSU, and when those readings are consistently a certain amount below where they should be across multiple users you can be sure its HW issue not the PSU.

I once had a box of various brand motherboards shipped to me and in testng boards from many different makers thru my test bench, the same power supply was reported to have a variety of output voltages on the rails. I did the quick math in my head and none of the strange rail voltages was more than 5% under the specified voltage for that particular rail so I carried on without any further concern for that particular power supply and odd rail voltage readings. It happens. Less than 5% off of the expected rail voltage and I have no concerns and I am speaking to "low" reported voltages since that is generally what one sees. Were I actually to see "overvoltages", I think I would be quickly testing with DMM, since I have only seen overvoltage indicated twice and one of those times the +12V rail WAS overvolting a lot and took out 3 hard drives but it was too late to see in a 'monitor', the damage was done. I used DMM to find the problem in the end.
RGone...

So..Iv been running the same settings for a long time now and decided to upgrade my ram. I saw that new AMD gamer serries and decided to try it out. My currenty ram is set at 1600 and might be around the 1700 range with the +FSB I have (not at home to look). Im wondering if Im going to have to set back to stock and restart the overclocking process, or should I be able to drop in the 2133 kit, set the timeings and be good to go?

You definitely don't need to start over> You may have to fiddle with the ram frequency and timings to find a sweetspot where it's stable. The P95 blend test will give you a pretty good indication. I run my 2133 at 2000 with tighter timings.

Do you find it bennificial to run slower speed with tighter timings? I think mine is supposed to be 10-11-11-30 @ 2133. Also its a 4 stick 16GM kit.

It wasn't so much that as it was frequency selection. I have my bus at 250, so my choice were 2000 or 2200 and something so I chose the 2000 and tightened the ram a bit.

Cool. Im hoping for the best lol I dont want to restart all my hard work i did lol finding a nice stable overclock takes alot of time :\ especially since this was only my 2nd time

When you install the ram just go into the bios and pick the frequency closest to stock and set the factory timings. Then work from there. Memory timings are a lot like OC'ing but you can lock your PC up pretty quickly with timings that are too aggressive, requiring a Cmos clear. Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

Make sure that you save your OC profile before you start jerking ram timings around, and keep a current save separate from that as your testing.

If you memory lock your POST you can simply press the "MemOK" button to get it bootable again and reload your previous profile.

Real? Oh my! RTFM and I found that out. Thanks men. Glad I found that button.
RGone...:bang head:bump:

I know eh? That would have saved me some time on my back trying to clear the CMOS. :facepalm:

So...I got my new RAM today and thought I was just gonna go home turn the Mhz up set the timing to what it says on the box 10-11-11-30. But there is a whole lot more going on in my memsettings in bios then just 4 timings.

Iv tried to research what everything else means but havent been able to really understand. I know what the 10-11-11-30 means but I dont know what all these other timings mean.

My new ram is the AMD gamer series 10-11-11-30 RG2133

~Mike

And ALL those other settings are seldom ever adjusted by 90% of users is my guess. There are a few sites that at least 'define' most every ram setting one is to see and some that boards don't even display. BUT defining and knowing which and when to adjust are miles apart.

There was a article named "bios overclocking guide crosshair v at rog". There were a number of bios settings of ram described. And ram timings are ram timings no matter the board or chipset. So what was described for CHV would work on Sabertooth 990 or Intel or whatever.
RGone...

tempS look good at 20min P95 gonna take a shower and if were still chuggin then ill see if my upgrade has made any change in cinebench test.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 42
Failed a worker after about 35min with Above settings ^^^^

Any Ideas? maybe i should bump the fsb down one, but that will put me out of the 4.5GHZ range :(

Is it either that or up the vcore?

Back