• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I have been battling temp sealing's ever since I started to be stable in P95. I started choppin down the volts on CPU_NB and my DRAM. My CPU voltage is as low as it can go to maintain 4.4ghz(1.428). I started at 1.3000v for CPUNB and 1.5500v on my Ram. Worth it to note I have CPU LLC at Extreme and CPU_NB LLC at high.

This is the best I could come up with, failed rite at 22m of P95 Blend. I got the CPUNB volts down < 2.225 and the DRAM voltage got set back to stock 1.5000. Should I try raising the Ram voltage now to get stability? or the CPUNB voltage?

~Mike

best1.PNG

best.PNG

Attachments

• best3.PNG
    best3.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Can someone run wprime or some test at stock NB 2000 than at 2400 and see if it really makes any diff. So far I have seeing little for the heat it produces. NB on these is nothing like the phenemons.

I dont think anyone here has done an extensive write up on CPU-NB with Vishera yet, it behaves nearly identical to Zambezi from my observations though. CPU-NB gains scale proportionate to DRAM speed. IE if you run DDR3 1333 and jack the CPU-NB up 400Mhz to 2400Mhz you will see about 1.3% improvement in memory scores and bandwidth. Running at 1866Mhz DRAM will net you in the neighborhood of 3% gain, and 2133 about 4%.

Now those numbers are just a rough estimate Ive been busy exploring other things aspects of Vishera that were less well known than CPU-NB so I dont have recorded testing to prove what Im saying.

This is the best stability I can come up with so far. I stopped P95 at about 25min because temp got to 63c. What should I do to try and drop the temp's and maintain the stability? CPU_NB volts are around 1.275v.

Attachments

• STOPPP.PNG
    STOPPP.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 116
  • LLAST.PNG
    LLAST.PNG
    227.8 KB · Views: 120
Hate to say it but you are only running a $35 heatsink you are most likely going to have to drop your OC to 4.3Ghz and lower the vcore to drop temps.

If doing a core OC only, I would try Linpack. It appears regardless of whether you have Intel or AMD that it will be a quicker test. It loads it more than Prime95.

Prime95 is next to useless for finding the max core clock and finding the load temp.

OMFG....i decided to rip out the hyper212+ and swap in my H50...Im running the settings above at half the temp...guess u shouldnt always just takr ppls word for it, test it your self :) doin a 2 hour stability tes b4 i start raising fsb more!

OMFG....i decided to rip out the hyper212+ and swap in my H50...Im running the settings above at half the temp...guess u shouldnt always just takr ppls word for it, test it your self :) doin a 2 hour stability tes b4 i start raising fsb more!

Well you are one lucky individual if the H-50 made that major change. AND if it made that big of change it means the CM 212 could not get the heat ouf of the case. You have radiator now likely mounted to the rear of the case and the heat exchanger has moved closer to an exit for its' heat. So you now need to make sure that the socket temps don't skyrocket because there is no air movement around the base of the cpu mount. Air from the CM 212 was stirring the air aound the socket and to an extent across the passively cooled VRM circuits. If you can get your hand by the H-50 carefully test the heat-feel on the VRM heat sinks under load. Careful don't get burned and snatch your hand back and knock the crap out of the H-50 radiator. If it feels that freeken hot, you need to get air to the socket and VRM area.
RGone...

Rgone,
I moved my hand all around every part of the mobo especially around the cpu and it felt ice cold!! Ill take/ post some pics of how i have it set up..its pretty unique, i have the radiator mounted under my cd drive pulling air in from the front of the case and pushing it towards my back exhaust and out the top exhaust fan.

Way better

Attachments

• THEBEST1.PNG
    THEBEST1.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 112
  • THEBEST.PNG
    THEBEST.PNG
    226.3 KB · Views: 115
I think the problem was that the Hyper212 was in push/pull and It was sucking in air like 1 inch away from my Ram heatfins. Then blowing it onto my heatsink and out threw the other fan towards my exhast fan. Essentially "Cooling" the heatsink with hot air...Its way better when I was testing it. Pluss I live in a north western alaska village and I have my computer next too an open window :D the radiator sits up high in the case (sitting on the floor) and it sits near the front of the case (which has like zero wind blockage) and facing the window! My SSD and my CD drive pretty much create a wind tunnel with a fan back in the middle of it sucking in cold air :D

I just dropped worker 5 at 1 hour and 10 minutes into the Prime95 Blend test. what does this mean?

I just dropped worker 5 at 1 hour and 10 minutes into the Prime95 Blend test. what does this mean?

Probably add a little mroe Vcore.

Putting the Rad for the H-50 in the front of the case like that is 'different'. Seems different enough that your results are far better than most any we have seen posted. By now most H-50s would be about 10c hotter than you are seeing. Smart move to put the radiator where you did and that just adds another fan pushing air towards the VRM and NB sinks. If ore mounted the rad where you did...the results would be much better for them is my guess.

Congrats on the innovative rad location. The Alaskan window does not hurt either. Hehehe.
RGone.

EDIT:
By the way that 4.4Ghz is just about sitting on top of one of the peaks seen in my graph in the thread "does FX-8350 flatline after 4.3Ghz like the Bulldozer".
END EDIT.

It means that your system is like 97% stable for everyday computing and playing games its unlikely to have issues. It also means that if you were to keep it loaded for long enough it will crash. For example Folding@Home would probably crash within a few hours, and heavy video encoding could result in audio or video anomalies. If you do not load your computer for hours on end, or require professional environment stability then its probably fine. If you want to get it closer to perfectly stable leave everything alone and bump the voltage up one more notch and it should pass with flying colors assuming temps do not become an issue.

I Raised the volts quite a bit also the FSB. If things hold up, I should have some pretty impressive numbers to show (atleast for an H50) :D

Attachments

• pic.PNG
    pic.PNG
    218.7 KB · Views: 118
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    243.9 KB · Views: 114
  • pic3.PNG
    pic3.PNG
    234.6 KB · Views: 112
Check it out...Think I should try to add more FSB?

Attachments

• OWN!.PNG
    OWN!.PNG
    246.1 KB · Views: 110
  • OWN2.PNG
    OWN2.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 106
You could, but considering where you were stuck at before to where your at now, maybe its time to just kick back and enjoy the rig for a while. Then you can decide IF it even needs to be faster.

O yea I dont plan to go any higher, I achieved what my goal was 4.5ghz, Im just gettin it dialed in now. I dropped worker 6 after 1 hour and 33 minutes of P95 Blend. Maybe up the voltage one more time, keep an eye on temp's then run it over night if it stays this cool?

One thing I never mentioned was Im receiving CPU Fan Errors must shut down now, I just click the X and it goes away, but it has been doing this since before I even overclocked anything. Since day 1. The CPU fan's have never stopped working or anything cause I would leave the side panel off and monitor it when I received the errors. Its not too often, but it does happen randomly..any ideas?

Your motherboard probably has a section for "Computer Health" or something along those lines. Inside you find the thermal shutdown and fan control options(on Gigabyte or Asus boards) one of those options is usually CPU fan error. Turn that **** off and those errors should go away.

Back