• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I had my answer to "should I go higher" all typed up and before I got ready to post it...you guys settled the deal. Hehehe. Congrats. Good job. Nice pics.
RGone...

Yea im gonna game out on it this week before i go higher...4 straight days of testing trial and error lol i need to take a break test it out and maybe run some benches. I played swtor last night and its way way faster. Before the my cpu usage would be topping out and bottlenecking my gpu in game. Swtor is more cpu intensive then gpu from what i read..but anyway now its way faster and the cpu load never grts as high.

Whats a good cpu bench ppl on the forums like to use? I think i have cinebench and 3dmark? What u think Rgone, i should clock it higher ya?

Are you pssting from dang cellphone? No sig showing!

Thread I will link below uses Cinebench pretty heavily.

NOW you ask me if I think you ought to overclock any further after, I did n0t post yesterday, what took me 20 niins to type up in notepad to post. Ur kidding right?

Go to this thead >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953 and the answer is there in the very first post of that thread. Second pic. Answers your question about more speed pretty good. Explains it pretty good for those that have a good, cool, low Vcore cpu like you seem to have.
RGone...

I never used this program before (Cinebench) are these results good or bad or??? lol

Attachments

• Cinebench1.PNG
    Cinebench1.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Cinebench2.PNG
    Cinebench2.PNG
    45.1 KB · Views: 120
RGone has also done a bunch of testing with cinebench on a 6300 in his thread about the Asrock Fat1lity motherboard. Theres a bunch of screenshots in there to compare with. WPrime is also a great CPU benchmark it will use every core you can give it and ask for more. UC Bench is a kind of oddball benchmark but it will definitely beat your CPU up since you can set it to run 60 threads at a time.

For even more results to compare to you can check out hwbot.org theres a search feature that will let you specify just about anything you want.

Sweet, Thanks man! I noticed my CPU got alot hotter while running cinebench, then it did with P95

Ive seen alot of programs that can get a CPU hotter than P95 does. P95 is not an end all be all stability checker but it is very useful at getting a decent idea what your temps will be in most heavy programs. Handbrake for instance can crank my CPU temps up, and I also run Folding @ Home which gets the CPU hotter but then again my CPU has been at 100% load for 10+ days withot a reboot or a pause so I would expect it to be alot hotter than a few hours of P95 could ever possibly get my system.

Yea I was looking at your thread about the FX chips being tougher than we think. Thats good news that the chips will tolerate heat pretty well!!

I cant Find RGones arcticle maybe someone could link it? How do I read that cinebench results?

The FX-6300 that I tested at ~4.5Ghz showed this for Cinebench R11.5.

attachment.php

Does that tell us piledriver likes multiplier > HTT method of overclcking? Or atleast for cinebench?

Does that tell us piledriver likes multiplier > HTT method of overclcking? Or atleast for cinebench?

Does not tell me that. Experience of myself and ohers seems to indicate that it takes a combination of HT Ref/FSB and CPU Multiplier to get the most out of the cpu as clock speed increases.
RGone...

hum...Im wonderin if I should raise the HTT a lil bit and add a notch of Vcore. I should be able to handle it :D maybe test cinebench and see what the difference is if it's even worth it.

@ RGone How far have you taken that 6300?

RGone,

Dont you have like some crazy stupid good cooling?? I tried raising my HTT and Vcore a bit, I was sitting around 4.6GHZ with 1.488 vcore and I couldnt get stable enough to pass 5 min p95. I tried lowering the HT_Link and NB but nothing would stable out. I see in your screenshots you reached 4.6GHZ and it says your vcore was on 1.424?? Im gonna guess that screen shot was taken at Idle, but about what was your vcore at running Cinebench at 4.6?? I havent gotten my processor over the 1.5 volts that AMD reccomends, just because im still nervous about voiding warnanty (even though I prolly already have).

Also RGone if u get some time maybe you could help me out with some customizations for my computer?? I was looking at a few of your olders posts, and I noticed that you "sleeved" the CPU cords and made your whole rig look really clean and professional!! How/what would I need to do this?? Also Im leaning towards a real watter cooling system and scrapping the AIO closed loop, what kind of tips/tricks you have for a noob like me??

Tips on watercooling are read the stickies in the top of the WC forum. You will have a much better idea what your getting yourself into once you check them out. Also look through some build logs, especially ones with the same case as you.

Sleeving is fairly simple, you need a high temp air gun(some blowdryers will work) sleeving in your choice of color and size, and finally some heatshrink. They make modders tools for taking apart each of the different connectors, but you can pretty much do without them if your handy.

Tips on watercooling are read the stickies in the top of the WC forum. You will have a much better idea what your getting yourself into once you check them out. Also look through some build logs, especially ones with the same case as you.

Sleeving is fairly simple, you need a high temp air gun(some blowdryers will work) sleeving in your choice of color and size, and finally some heatshrink. They make modders tools for taking apart each of the different connectors, but you can pretty much do without them if your handy.
+1 If you are really planning on going full custom water, READ and then Re-Read. When your done read it again, then get a budget in mind and pick out the parts.

Sleeving isn't hard it just takes patience. My 9 yr old son helped me sleeve may last build.

WTF >?? Is this a known issue or is something wrong here? Check out the packet temp...

Attachments

• wtf temp..PNG
    wtf temp..PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 86
Do you have a puddle of goo where the Cpu and Motherboard were? If not it is just a glitch in the temperature reading, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fortunesfool,
I am seeing on each and every of HWmonitor screenshot your 12v and 5v is really really low. I would say dangerously low. Although you have 1000w PSU, It is not giving clean power to your system and that may sooner or later lead to system failure. When that happens your PSU might take your MB and GPU with.

Back