• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking your 9500np, 9500pro and 9700 np

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I've checked all over nero and I cannot find anything about making a boot disk, any idea?

It's cool now, I got my floppy working.

I tried a few different bios's, the 97npsap has worked the best, the mufu's didnt take to well to my card.

I have my card set are 324/310 right now, but the most I can get out of it on stock cooling is 355/310 without artifacts. It's strange though, with the original bios and omega drivers I could get the core up to 391 without artifacts and get 14,200 3dmarks. At 355 core I'm getting 14,100 3dmarks.

Super Nintendo, mind if I ask what you benchmark on 3dmark2k1? We have similar setups and I think this motherboard might be holding me back some.

I get about 11k on 3dmark2k1 its because my cpu is holding me back. I should be able to get high when I build my new system around the new year.

Super Nintendo said:
Hey,

I use the http://webpages.charter.net/nickcotter/ATI files/97PinfiN.BIN because I got a 9700 np with the 3.3ns infin ram and I can get pro speeds with the ram but core could go up higher then the 9700 pro core stock speed. I would maybe try thta out.

hey

cozmo_d this was the bios I said to try if you want to see if it makes a big differents.

ps: I'm added the Darkmage bios to the main sticky and will look for some 9800 np and pro bios to add on the main sticky also tonight.

Ouch! My brain cell hurts :( too much info.

I got round to doing the rivatuner softmod on my 9500 np (with 3.2 catalyst) But what's this about flashing the gfx card bios? And do I need the warp bios tool to do this? And if I flash the bios (with the warp tool) will it invalidate my card's warranty?

Hey,

when you mean by gfx card you meant to stay radeon card instead of that.

About the flashing, if you do it correctly it won't mess the card up and if you didn't do it right and saved your old bios you will be able to go back to the original bios. It will void your warranty if you flash it.

But just remember you will always be able to flash your card back to the original bios when ever you want to if you saved it to your hdd or a floppy.

Super Nintendo said:

About the flashing, if you do it correctly it won't mess the card up and if you didn't do it right and saved your old bios you will be able to go back to the original bios. It will void your warranty if you flash it.

If the softmod is successful is a bios flash necessary? (In other words, what's the significance of a bios flash?)

Edit / from guru3d site: -

'Sapphire boards are favored because in general they don't lockout the ability to overclock the boards like ATI does so most ATI boards will require flashing the bios to up the clocks while most Sapphire boards do not. Other companies producing Radeon based cards may or may not lock out the ability to overclock'

Last edited:
if the softmod works and you can overclock what you want it to be then its fine then you don't need a bios flash but if you want to try a bios flash go ahead it's your choice.

I have a 9700np Club3D unfortunately with 3.6ns modules, so I can't go above 275MHz. The core is running flawlessly at 350MHz, I haven't pushed it further because I have stock cooling (for now). What can I do with this to achieve some better overclock? Any BIOS upgrades, etc? Thanks.

Csybe:

Hey, with your speed of the ram I'm sorry but your won't get any farther then that with your ram speeds. No other bios flash will make it go any faster then you have already tryed. But nice job on the core clock speed.

BigL:

Sorry there is no mod for a 9600 > 9700 because they are two different cores and different layout of each other. They aren't the same as the 9500 non pro and pro which the Non pro can be modded to the 9700. The only thing you can do with the 9600 right now is overclock it and see how the preformance gets with that.

I'm a rookie so I have a question about this bios update.

I have a Radeon 9700Pro and the only 2 speedsettings I can find is in the software that was bundled with the card when I bought it.
VPU speed 325Mhz
Memory speed 622Mhz

This is default settings and it scores 16384 in 3Dmark2001se

In the following software I can change the settings to maximum:
VPU speed 385Mhz
Memory speed 700Mhz

I've only triede raising it to 358/672 and that gave me about 17400 in 3Dmark2001se.

The card has standart cooling system on all of the front and backside covering all ram and everything, so i does'nt seem to mind OC, so now my question is:

- Are the results I get good or poor for a 9700Pro ???
- And will I gain from flashing the bios ???

Here's a link to my card

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/g9700pro.html

ZeroAim:

On the 9700 non pros you don't need a bios flash for it to be overclocked and do good. They are already unlocked when you buy it. You can also try the rage3d tweak or powerstrip which you can find at www.rage3d.com under the Files link on the right. Good luck with the overclock

Super Nintendo said:
ZeroAim:

On the 9700 non pros you don't need a bios flash for it to be overclocked and do good

But it's a 9700 PRO I have, so will I gain from a bios flash ?

no you won't gain on the bios flash if you did one.

ps: also I ment a pro not the non pro I wasn't thinking when I typed that, sorry about that.

I tried the links listed to download the bios and ati flash tool. I was taken to another page with a page full of articles. now what?

Back