• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help...Very Hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCribb

I just built a system using the AMD 1.2GHz 266MHz FSB processor and the Asus A7V13 motherboard. I have a Chrom Orb CPU fan running, a front chasis fan taking air in, a back chasis fan taking air out and of course the power supply fan. I am not overclocking and yet my processor is running at 61 C. Why is it running so hot? What else can I do to cool it down?

easy answer, its the orb. It can't handle the heat the cpu puts out. You need to get a new fan asap, that is way too hot for an athlon, you may fry it. Get a fop38 or pep66 for good cooling. There are plenty of others, but any orb is not the way to go. Their surface area is way to small to dissipate the heat the athlon produces.

Dunno260 is right, the orb is designed for Durons and T-Birds under 1gig. They cannot handle the amount of heat generated my 1+gig T-Bird, especially if they are clocked.
Checkout the reviews at Tom's Hardware and other sites. Then decide what you are going to do w/ your system. ( do your homework)

JCribb (Apr 08, 2001 08:43 p.m.):
I just built a system using the AMD 1.2GHz 266MHz FSB processor and the Asus A7V13 motherboard. I have a Chrom Orb CPU fan running, a front chasis fan taking air in, a back chasis fan taking air out and of course the power supply fan. I am not overclocking and yet my processor is running at 61 C. Why is it running so hot? What else can I do to cool it down?

61'C eh? Thats quite warm. Under AMD spec, but running it that hot could compromise stability. I would definitely lose the Orb and go w/ a GW FOP38 or an Alpha PAL 6035. Just remember to lap it, and use Thermal paste.

Thank you everyone for the information. One question... what does "lap it" mean?

good point oni, be sure to at least use some thermel goop, not the tape crap, but goop. It can be the cheap stuff from the shack or arctic silver II. Lapping helps too.

If the heatsink/fan comes with tape should I scrape it off before using compound? Also, what does lappint mean?

scraping is ok, but some wd40 and a rag does a wonderful job. Just spray on the tape, let it sit, and then wipe. Repeat until removed. Lapping, refers to sanding the bottom until it is totally flat and gives a mirrorlike reflection. Sand with course,medium, and then fine sandpaper to do this. It helps if you have a power sander to do this. After that, put a little goop on the core of the cpu, and put your hsf onto the cpu, and your temps should drop about 20 degrees celsius

there are other things that remove the tape too. Scraping works, but WD40 is great! Anyone else know what works?

JC - that is polishing the bottom of the heatsink to rmove the machined in grooves and imperfections. Basically its like this.
1. 400-600 git emery sandpaper until ridges and grooves are gone.
2. 800 - 1200 grit until real smooth
3. 1500 - 2000 grit until you can see yourself clearly. (ok that is abit far, but you know what I mean)
Most of the higher grit is available at automotive paint supply shops for body work.
I have even used 0000( Extra,Extra Fine)grade Steel Wool for a heatsink and got good results.

Lapping means to get some fine grades of sandpaper 300, 600, 900, and maybe even higher, and sand the bottom of your heatsink starting with the 300, and, work your way up to the finest grit. This will ensure that you HSF is as smooth as it can be for better thermal transfer. NOTE: Lapping will NOT replace thermal grease. You want to lap it AND use thermal grease. Artic Silver II is the best stuff to use.

JCribb (Apr 08, 2001 09:10 p.m.):
Thank you everyone for the information. One question... what does "lap it" mean?

Lapping is sanding the bottom of your hs so there are no machining marks on it. It can and will improve cooling performance if you do it right. To do it right, what I did, was take some 3M 400 grit wet sand paper and a nice, flat block (glass would work very well, or a 2x4). Wrap the sandpaper around the block, and get yourself a bucket of warm, soapy water. Wet the hs down w/ said water, and soak the paper, then have at it for about 30 - 40 minutes. You'll really see a difference. If you want it to be REALLY smooth, use the 400 wet, then switch to something like 600 wet, then on to 1200 wet. You'll get an almost mirror finish that way, but it'll take a LONG time. You can get wet sandpaper almost anywhere they sell automotive supplies (Canadian Tire etc). After you're done, dry it off well, apply some Arctic Silver II to your chip, plunk down your hsf and watch the temps drop!

I threw a 1.2gig T-Bird system together for my parents. He ordered the motherboard, cpu combo. It came with the Mini Super Orb. When I first threw it together I was getting cpu temps in the low 50c's at an idle. Well I cut a three inch hole in the bottom front of the case to better intake air, as well as stick an 80mm fan in the top back for exhaust. It dropped his cpu temp to around 33c at idle.

That is a descent temp but not good enough to start overclocking in my opinion.

After doing some testing I noticed that MBM 5.0 reads the temp differently than Asus Probe. Probe is reading my CPU temp at 60 degrees and MBM is reading it at 51. I think Asus Probe is pulling the internal CPU temp, what do you think?

Also, this seems way too hot since I am not overclocking. I will be purchasing a new HSF and use Artic Silver II goop. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Does anyone else have anything to add?

JCribb (Apr 09, 2001 06:52 p.m.):
After doing some testing I noticed that MBM 5.0 reads the temp differently than Asus Probe. Probe is reading my CPU temp at 60 degrees and MBM is reading it at 51. I think Asus Probe is pulling the internal CPU temp, what do you think?

Also, this seems way too hot since I am not overclocking. I will be purchasing a new HSF and use Artic Silver II goop. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Does anyone else have anything to add?

Asus Probe is a piece of trash. It reads about 7 - 10 C too high.

Back