• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OverMoD by BlueBall (Custom MODS!) *tons-o-pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Skeen said:
Did you make something similar to your RAM block to cool your mosfets?

Yes, but that was on the last NF7-S ... it is not booting now. It was swapped.
I am making another one. It will be made out of solid copper. Much like the video ram WB I just made.

Please forgive me for my laziness, but what was the stuff you used to waterproof your board? I just read through both of your threads and don't really relish trying to pick through it.

Thanks

Skeen said:
Please forgive me for my laziness, but what was the stuff you used to waterproof your board? I just read through both of your threads and don't really relish trying to pick through it.

Thanks

Silicone Conformal Coating
It is totally clear. Unless you put a bright UV source withing inches (opaque look in UV)

I read somewhere that someone used liquid electrical tape.

Yeah I've heard about the liquid electrical tape but you have to brush it on and it dries quickly in air. Then it leaves a thick rubbery coating. Pretty neat but its sort of messy and doesn't look so hot.

So ok SCC thanks.

Oh yeah!! Love to see this DIY stuff. :attn:

> "Others may call it junk collecting ....
I call it recycling."
<

Indeed! The Copper scraps they throw away at many construction sites can be
used to make all sorts of great stuff. Especially if you melt it down. :D

Susquehannock said:
Oh yeah!! Love to see this DIY stuff. :attn:

> "Others may call it junk collecting ....
I call it recycling."
<

Indeed! The Copper scraps they throw away at many construction sites can be
used to make all sorts of great stuff. Especially if you melt it down. :D

Melt it down huh? I have Oxy/Acetelyne ... what would I melt it into? Some kind of ceramic I presume. I've worked with aluminum bet we used an oven.

Really sick comp :clap:

About copper casting - if you decide for it, you ned at least partial vacuum process. Typical vacuum would be the best, but even then, don't expect to get good results with complicated shapes. Anyway, if you decide for casting micro block, silver is a great material. (and small amounts are pretty cheap)

Ven0m said:
Really sick comp :clap:

About copper casting - if you decide for it, you ned at least partial vacuum process. Typical vacuum would be the best, but even then, don't expect to get good results with complicated shapes. Anyway, if you decide for casting micro block, silver is a great material. (and small amounts are pretty cheap)

So silver is easier to melt down? I know its a great conductor of heat too.

How come I havn't seen silver plated HSFs and stuff? Is it the cost?

Silver's about $80 for a 10oz bar. For heatsinks, silver's only slightly better than copper, so from a cost effectiveness stand point, I guess Thermalright and the rest say "Why bother?"

BlueBall said:
So silver is easier to melt down? I know its a great conductor of heat too.

How come I havn't seen silver plated HSFs and stuff? Is it the cost?

I thought it was nickel that was a better heat conductor, hence the reason Thermalright uses a nickel coating on the base of the XP-120.

Very nice work by the way, I love the CPU block, looks very cool. :attn:

Hahahahaha, yeah, I saw a thread with that situation in it. :D

So, if nickel is not better than copper, what is the point of plating the base? I suppose it would solve the oxidation problem, it certainly can't be for aesthetics, it's not like the base can be seen once the sink is installed. :confused:

Brundle Fly said:
I thought it was nickel that was a better heat conductor, hence the reason Thermalright uses a nickel coating on the base of the XP-120.

Very nice work by the way, I love the CPU block, looks very cool. :attn:
nickel is fairly bad as far as heat conduction goes:
nickel....90.7
copper..401
silver....429

Brundle Fly said:
Hahahahaha, yeah, I saw a thread with that situation in it. :D

So, if nickel is not better than copper, what is the point of plating the base? I suppose it would solve the oxidation problem, it certainly can't be for aesthetics, it's not like the base can be seen once the sink is installed. :confused:

I think they plate with nickel because it looks all nice an shiny at first. a cheap bling bling thing

ghettocomp said:
I think they plate with nickel because it looks all nice an shiny at first. a cheap bling bling thing

Brundle Fly said:
So, if nickel is not better than copper, what is the point of plating the base? I suppose it would solve the oxidation problem, it certainly can't be for aesthetics, it's not like the base can be seen once the sink is installed.

It does seem pretty silly considering:

1. Its the bottom of the heatsink (but ok its probably easier to do the whole base as opposed to just the top of the base).

2. That whole heatpipe/fin array is so damn big (plus a fan on top) that you probably don't see the base all that much anyway.

Skeen said:
It does seem pretty silly considering:

1. Its the bottom of the heatsink (but ok its probably easier to do the whole base as opposed to just the top of the base).

2. That whole heatpipe/fin array is so damn big (plus a fan on top) that you probably don't see the base all that much anyway.

I think they do it so your nice expensive CPU can look at itself in the mirror 24/7

I own a SLK-800 and mounted DUAL DELTA BLOWERS. I wouldn't trade my old Thermalright for anything I've seen lately.

Attachments

• PC Mod 110 (Small) (2).jpg
    PC Mod 110 (Small) (2).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 354
Back