• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OverMoD by BlueBall (Custom MODS!) *tons-o-pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Brundle Fly said:
Man! That is one(or two) kickazz blower! How loud is it? I know blowers are quieter, but man, that's got to be moving some air. Very nice. :attn:

Back-to-back blowers baby!
You bet! ... Tons of air! It keeps my XP2500 at 48C @ 2300Mhz

Not considered quiet by any means. I keep that PC (my server) in the basement with my water pump. I've been crazy about making things quiter in my office.

BlueBall said:
Back-to-back blowers baby!
You bet! ... Tons of air! It keeps my XP2500 at 48C @ 2300Mhz

Not considered quiet by any means. I keep that PC (my server) in the basement with my water pump. I've been crazy about making things quiter in my office.

Yeah, I thought it might be loud, usually when I see the word "Delta" typed out, it's followed by "Screamer", heh heh heh. :D

Skeen said:
How are those mounted?

Just guessing here, we'll have to wait for BlueBall, but it looks like a piece of galvanized steel at the top of the pic, possibly the steel piece keeps it sort of "floating" over the heatsink? :confused:

Skeen said:
How are those mounted?

A small piece of galvanized metal is screwed to the PSU and the blowers are bolted together AND to the PSU.

You can feel the air from over 6 feet away with these babies!

The two of them together fit the SLK-800 perfectly! I'm pretty sure one would be enough, but thats not my style ... check the previous pages and you'll see.

I saw Delta and I had to contribute. This is a pic from a guy at Abit Forums. After asking some questions about it, I basically just copied it. The fan I use is an older model of 120mm Delta, I think its rated at 119cfm or so.

Last edited:
This is more of this guys work. As far as I can remember this heatsink pre-dates similar models made by Arctic Cooling. Check it out:

Last edited:
The first pic is cool. Although, having a 100+ CFM fan in direct contact with the outside makes for a noisy box. If you could do it the other way with ducting, then fan, I bet it would be lots quieter. I wanted one of those SP-90? heatsink but I couldn't justify replacing mine because it didn't have heat-pipes. How well does it perform?

The second pic looks like a ducted fan mod. He would have been much better off with a blower in that situation. Mostly because the air is moving 90 degrees to the fan/motor.

I can get a variety of blowers (used + new) for $5-20cdn each. But I'm lookin for stealth now.

BlueBall said:
The first pic is cool. Although, having a 100+ CFM fan in direct contact with the outside makes for a noisy box. If you could do it the other way with ducting, then fan, I bet it would be lots quieter. I wanted one of those SP-90? heatsink but I couldn't justify replacing mine because it didn't have heat-pipes. How well does it perform?

The second pic looks like a ducted fan mod. He would have been much better off with a blower in that situation. Mostly because the air is moving 90 degrees to the fan/motor.

I can get a variety of blowers (used + new) for $5-20cdn each. But I'm lookin for stealth now.

Where do you scoop those blowers from? I'm in Barrie, ON, your supply anywhere close? Bonus price for blowers. :attn:

Brundle Fly said:
No kidding! Damn, I drive by an outlet on the way to work every morning, very sweet. :attn:

Check their pump section too! They have $30 parts washer pumps ... $80 submersable pumps like mine and tons of drill pumps, septic and more.

If you like tools, you'll LOVE Princess Auto :clap:

BlueBall said:
Check their pump section too! They have $30 parts washer pumps ... $80 submersable pumps like mine and tons of drill pumps, septic and more.

If you like tools, you'll LOVE Princess Auto :clap:

Yeah man, I've been in the store many times, I just never thought of looking for cooling fans for my system. Kinda silly on my part, they have everything there, including the kitchen sink, I should have known they'd have something. :bang head

Tools? Man, they have everything! You have to be careful about what you buy though, a lot of their stuff is crapola. On the otherhand, if you're buying something for home use, it'll last a long time, I just wouldn't use it in an industrial/trades environment, as in where it gets used hardcore on a daily basis.

Bonus discount warehouse, no matter how you look at it. Thanks again for the tip. :thup:

BlueBall said:

Yeah you're right its noisy as hell. So noisy that I ended up putting it outside. The window in my office looks out on my second story balcony and I just put the computer right outside the window and ran all the cords inside. I put some weather stripping on the bottom of the window and left it at that. So not only is it less noisy, but the winter air keeps it cold too. Last night Everest said my full load temp was 20C. It kinda makes it a pain to switch CDs and DVDs though.
:D

Skeen said:
Yeah you're right its noisy as hell. So noisy that I ended up putting it outside. The window in my office looks out on my second story balcony and I just put the computer right outside the window and ran all the cords inside. I put some weather stripping on the bottom of the window and left it at that. So not only is it less noisy, but the winter air keeps it cold too. Last night Everest said my full load temp was 20C. It kinda makes it a pain to switch CDs and DVDs though.
:D

I've had problems with hardware that gets sub-zero. Hard drives especially. I hope you don't live near me .. I've seen -45C windchill .. brrrr ... BrundleFly has been through much worse I bet.
It had no problems as long as the PC was ON and NOT in suspend or standy .. due the rapid temperature changes, condensation buildup was evident .. I only found it suitable for benching. Thats why my whole rig is not inside a fridge/freezer right now.

I'd love to find some sort of 'cold mat' that could be sandwiched behind my mobo. It would be very similar for any mobo in a case too (or the same)

I live in Ohio and this year the winter's been very mild. I think, today, the high was 50F or so. I've read the specs on my WD and my Maxtor and, you're right, they really can't take very low temps. Not sure why but it must be mechanical in nature.

I'm not too worried about condensation as it only forms when warmer air contacts a cold surface and there's not any way my computer will get colder than ambient. I've wanted to do the fridege thing too with a dorm fridge but electricity cost/reliability (the ability of the fridge to contend with a constant load of heat) was what held me back.

BlueBall said:
I've had problems with hardware that gets sub-zero. Hard drives especially. I hope you don't live near me .. I've seen -45C windchill .. brrrr ... BrundleFly has been through much worse I bet.
It had no problems as long as the PC was ON and NOT in suspend or standy .. due the rapid temperature changes, condensation buildup was evident .. I only found it suitable for benching. Thats why my whole rig is not inside a fridge/freezer right now.

I'd love to find some sort of 'cold mat' that could be sandwiched behind my mobo. It would be very similar for any mobo in a case too (or the same)

Yeah, I wouldn't dream of putting anything outside, the weather changes kinda quick here, never mind temps, you could lose your system in the snow in a snap. Snow, I don't think, would be real good for it. How fast does it change? Here ya go, a week ago, and then Wednesday. :D

bckyd.jpg

bckyard1.jpg

I've read about mods where ducts have been taken to the outdoors, or under houses, to bring cold air to the system, but that just isn't an option here, the major temperature difference, and the humidity, would kill a system in no time. Too bad, cause that's a whole lot of cold air that can't be used to cool a system. :(

Ducting the cold air through a radiator mounted outside would chill water quite nicely ... I just wouldn't want to see the same thing in summer. Perhaps A/C through the rad would be similar?!?!

Well my computer isn't outside exposed to the elements (rain/snow-wise). Its sitting on a screened-in, roofed balcony.

A while ago I had a thought ... If I installed a valve on my homes' water supply line, I would have unlimited FREE cold water. The water around here comes from lake Ontario and it is reported to be excellent. Not to mention its already at approx 50PSI.
I had my friend (who works for a water filtration company that supplies hospitals) do a water test. The results were astonishing.
He used a disolved solids meter. Using store bought 'spring water' first, the meter went into the yellow/red zone. Thats about 75% of the gauges' limits. Not good.
Next, we used tap water. The meter registered a small amount (about 25% of the gauge).
Finally, we used distilled water, no surprises here ... the meter hardly moved.

I recently lost a water pump ... only one left ... If this happens again, I may consider the above option more seriously.

So with the valve on your water line, you would run the water from the line into your cpu block and then back into the line? As far as money, would that be like keeping a faucet on all the time?

If that somehow could work, that'd be sweet. :drool:

Last edited:
Back