• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Celeron..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cLockErGiRl

I need some advice on a computer I wanted to buy. I already got a little info on it from someone, but he's not on now and I want a new one tomorrow :) ...ok just tell me if its junk or not...first of all, what I use my computer for really isnt much....just for mail, and the web and just talking and I love the sims .....I called up at Best Buy and the guy told me it was a pretty decent computer, but I know that they'll say anything to sell .....so I just wanted to hear what you guys think:

eMachines Desktop with Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.7GHz

Processor Brand
Intel® Celeron® processor

Processor Speed
1.7GHz

System Bus
400MHz

Cache Memory
128KB L2 cache

System Memory (RAM)
128MB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
1.0GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
PC2100 DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive Type
Ultra DMA EIDE

Hard Drive Size
40.0GB

Video Memory
32MB shared

Graphics
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics AGP 3D

Audio
Intel® 82801 AC '97 audio

Network Card
10/100 Ethernet networking card

Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed
48x

Diskette Drive
Yes

Diskette Drive Type
3.5" 1.44MB

Total Expansion Bays
External: 1 (3.5"), 2 (5.25"); Internal: 3 (3.5")

Available Expansion Bays
External: 1 (5.25"); Internal: 2 (3.5")

Total Expansion Slots
3 PCI

Available Expansion Slots
2 PCI

USB Ports
6 USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back)

Parallel Ports

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

thanx you guys

Well, as long as you don't plan on DOING anything with it, it should be fine for what you've mentioned. Though, the RAM seems a little low IMO. Also, I haven't heard much about E-Machines, but what I have heard wasn't good (not really bad though either...). Though that was a good three years ago.

Just don't plan on OCing the thing 'k? ;)
JigPu

As long as you don't plan to game, or do anything graphics intensive, it should be OK. And there will be NO overclocking. And chances are very little room for upgrades...they usually have a 150w power supply.

Also, eMachines is one of the worst vendors for quality of support. Not that you would need it....but I must say they don't have a good reputation for anything.

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

u forgot to tell us the price.
I would not pay more then $350 for that system. actually when i think about it... putting that system together will be pretty cheap. I wouldnt pay more then $300 for that ;)

did u see the dell system?
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140059

it uses pc133 but i would still take that system over that celeron one. and i bet bestbuywill charge more then $350 right?

omiskillz has the specs of the PC. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139989

AZN

Last edited:
well, the that one was 399.99 ...it came with a monitor too :( ..but ya get whatcha pay for......lemme check out yer links.

well its not a terrible system... is $400 your limit? do u need a monitor? so all u want is a interent and sims PC? ok let me look around for the best value at $400. with or without monitor ?

AZN

AZN said:
well its not a terrible system... is $400 your limit? do u need a monitor? so all u want is a interent and sims PC? ok let me look around for the best value at $400. with or without monitor ?

AZN

I have a 15 inch monitor.....So I guess I really dont need one...but I do want a better one (computer) , cuz mine is only 200 processor....it bites....thanx :)

1.7ghz celeron and 17in monitor??? i would say sure y not. but im still looking around.

AZN

well u are not really going to find much better anywhere else. if that comes with a 17in monitor then go for it. I would check out that dell deal it looks pretty decent.

only way to get a better comp and price is to build it.

u can get a

xp2100, Asus A7N266-VM MB with onboad video, sound and nic ( i used this board before the video is great !) 256MB PC2100, 40gb HD, 48x CD-RW, and standard case, flobby, mouse and keyboard for like $430 but then you would need to assemble it ;)

its a real good system that will last a long time and play alot of game. it will even play UT not UT2003 ;)

if i was not so busy with work I would build that for u. but i dont think u would trust me ;)

AZN

AZN said:
1.7ghz celeron and 17in monitor??? i would say sure y not. but im still looking around.

AZN

well yah, why not....but every one says I cant do anything on it....I dont wanna go from a piece of **** to another one, ya know?

AZN said:
well u are not really going to find much better anywhere else. if that comes with a 17in monitor then go for it. I would check out that dell deal it looks pretty decent.

only way to get a better comp and price is to build it.

u can get a

xp2100, Asus A7N266-VM MB with onboad video, sound and nic ( i used this board before the video is great !) 256MB PC2100, 40gb HD, 48x CD-RW, and standard case, flobby, mouse and keyboard for like $430 but then you would need to assemble it ;)

its a real good system that will last a long time and play alot of game. it will even play UT not UT2003 ;)

if i was not so busy with work I would build that for u. but i dont think u would trust me ;)

AZN

Okay, so Id buy all the parts, and put it together?? (laughing hysterically) just kidding....I dont know if id trust ME to do that.....but I didnt think about checking out the forums in the classifieds ....they have stuff like that , no? and as far as trusting you....I trust everyone, thats my downfall......but lemme check some stuff out....I think I want a better one than the one best buy has to offer..Ive had this one for 8 years, and I can almost bet, I'll have my next one for the same.....hey, thanx alot for helpin me btw.

well when they say u cant do anythign they mean u wont be able to game. other then that it will be a great word processor. so if u dont plan on playing the latest and greatest games u will be just fine. u need to buy a PC that will work for U. let us know more about what u expect to do with it and how long u want it to last and i bet alot of us can guide u to a perfect system. even if some1 here has to build it for u ;) dont forget buget

AZN

:) thanx Azn....lemme sleep on it and think about what i want, so I dont come off sounding like a complete dork :p , thanx for taking time to help me......least I wont be going to bestbuy tomorrow now....like i said, I already had someone from here tell me it wasnt the best one i can get, so Im waiting for him to tell me..."I already told you, why didnt you just listen to me?!?" haha

sure thing. but if u are certain 1.7ghz cel with 17in monitor, then thats a pretty good deal. well not dam good but not like they are raping u. well sleep on it and dont worry bestbuy isnt going anywhere incase u do want to buy thru them ;)

AZN

Back