• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RF shield

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I am currently in the beginning stages of a major mod. It involves putting two motherboards in one case, the size of which was designed to be a tight fit for one. It will be quite a feat, and quite the spectacle when done. My question, though, is about RF interference. There will not be a metal plate between the two, so it would be two motherboards facing each other with no barrier what-so-ever between them. Will this cause a problem, or is an RF shield designed to block outside noice from bugging the inside, like a PC monitor and speakers? I sorta' need to know rapidly, too.

Thanks in advance

Z

An RF shield is mainly designed to keep inside noise from interfering with outside things like your monitor or your neighbor's television.

Garage doors, some TV's, and stereo systems act up when they come in contact with runaway RF's from pc's because they use a specific RF from a remote control to execute a command. Like On/Off.
Im guessing the mobo's should be fine. If all else fails just place a thin sheet of chicken wire between the two. That might clear the noise up if it does creat a problem.
It looks like your entering unexplored modding territory. With things like this you don't know till ya try it.

Back