• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running slow after fresh install and new RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
About 30 mins ago a buddy told me to change it to:

Initial: 2046
Maximum: 4092

Should I up either of them?

too low...

1.5 times your RAM (min)... 3072 to 4092 (max)

The system tells you the recommended size...lol. Why make it less?

I'm willing to work with you, as I read that you shot down many recommendations, if you don't at least try anything I say, I'm unsubscribing from this thread and you're on your own.

Do this now and report back:

After doing some reading into your problem, I would look at your RAM or one of your RAM slots is bad. Try running a single stick of the older 512MB.

Run your system through your normal tasks... Maybe download Sisosft sandra and do some memory tests. Then shut down and move it to the other RAM slot. If all goes good, then move to a single 1 gig stick, repeat and rinse...lol

I'm banking on either a bad slot, or bad RAM. Remember, new RAM can come DOA...

Last edited:
Ok...I will give that a try now....I noticed that videos are very jumpy.....audio is good but video is jumpy. Firefox now opens rather quickly. Will restart now and give what you guys have recommended a shot

its much faster with the 512 by itself but that is with the page file set at 3072/4092

should that be brought back down to 768?

ok...now I have SiSoftware Sandra installed...what do you recommend that I do with it?

leave your page file for windows to handle, period :)

I find if I do that, the page file will get fragmented. This way it will not as it will never grow.

I always make it a fixed size both min and max being the same number, in his case 4092 and 4092. Fragmented page file can slow you system down big time.

UPDATE:
Before the upgrade I had one 128MB and one 512MB.

I ran memtest86 on both slots on each of them separately and then together. No shut down and no errors on any of the tests meaning that the old memory is still good. (wondering if the BIOS flash fixed that problem). Would the fact that I have the page file at 3072 have anything to do with the memtest's not failing and shutting down the machine?

I will now test the two 1GB sticks in each of the slots and then combined.

The capacitors look fine. I cleaned out all of the dust. Seem to have broke the bracket that holds the heat sink in place (the fins under the green vent).

I always make it a fixed size both min and max being the same number, in his case 4092 and 4092. Fragmented page file can slow you system down big time.

So I wonder who would have the answer to what its supposed to be.....now I've been told 3 different things. Should I ask Kingston (manufacturer of the RAM)?

Also check to see if Ultra DMA is enabled in BIOS. This is an older system and may have this turned off for compatibility.

I went into BIOS (F2 at startup) but didnt see anything related to Ultra DMA

And another thing Intel speed step and XP have a major issue with DELLS. There is a patch to fix this, not sure if your system is affected.

I'm running XP Home in a Dell Dimension 2350....I dont know where to look for that fix. A link would be great....thanks

After doing some reading into your problem, I would look at your RAM or one of your RAM slots is bad. Try running a single stick of the older 512MB.

Run your system through your normal tasks... Maybe download Sisosft sandra and do some memory tests. Then shut down and move it to the other RAM slot. If all goes good, then move to a single 1 gig stick, repeat and rinse...lol

I'm banking on either a bad slot, or bad RAM. Remember, new RAM can come DOA...

I did this and everything seems to check out.

No shutdowns with any of the RAM. Not by themselves or grouped. I think the problems are fixed

Wait a minute.... Take a look at the caps around the CPU. The tops should all be shinny silver. If you see a yellow compound on the top, your caps are bad, and these caps filter the DC noise for the CPU... would also indicate a mad mobo.

Try getting the chipset driver from Dell's website, not from INtel's site. Type in the service tag code into their site and it should bring up all the necessary drivers and just download the chipset driver from there.

Joeteck & madhatter256.....the problems seem to have remedied themselves.....all of my RAM seems to test out just fine and the machine is running much much faster.

When I was cleaning the dust out the chassis that holds down the heat sink broke and I need to replace the chassis. The manual doesnt provide a part #. Anyone know where I can find one of these? I know that its not safe to run the machine without it.....also...the gasket is shot....what do I replace that with?

Joeteck & madhatter256.....the problems seem to have remedied themselves.....all of my RAM seems to test out just fine and the machine is running much much faster.

When I was cleaning the dust out the chassis that holds down the heat sink broke and I need to replace the chassis. The manual doesnt provide a part #. Anyone know where I can find one of these? I know that its not safe to run the machine without it.....also...the gasket is shot....what do I replace that with?

This is very common part to break when you try to remove the CPU. Thats uses the old socket 478. The HSF is fine, right? It the part that is connected to the mobo that has cracked. I had to replace many of these. Thankfully its the same on every mobo.

Back