• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So why did my PSU die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

I am already RMAing it. I am wanting to know why the darn thing died.

The PSU is an Enermax 550W PSU. The EG651P-V(E) to be exact. It gives these firgures.

AC Input:------115V/230V - 13A/8A ' 50-60Hz
........................+3.3V.....+5v.....+12v.....-5v.....-12v.....+5Vsb

DC Output........40A.........46A....24A........1A......1A........1.8A

+5V, +3.3V, +12V MAX 525W Total 550W
+5V, +3.3V MAX 300W PEAK 650W

Now, I suspect a new addition to the computer may to blame for the PSU dying.

Here are the parts of my system:

Dual AMD XP2000+ (stock)
2x 512MB DDR ram
Gainward GeForce 4 ti 4600 Golden sample 128MB ddr
MSI K7D
PCI Lan Card
Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live!
PSI USB Card 2 port
1x 20GB Maxtor hard drive 5400rpm 133 ATA
1x 120GB Samsung 7200rpm drive (or something like that brand, could be a seagate)
1x Generic 50x CD drive
1x Cyber drive 32x/4x/8x (I think) CDRW
1x generic floppy drive

Ok, now for the fans in this case.

2x 120mm YS-Tech fans. Both run through the fanbus.
4x 80mm YS-Tech fans. Two run straight off the PSU, two run through the fanbus.

Ok, I cannot find any additional info about these fans. Hopefully an electric geek answers this and already knows, or can take a real good guess. Clues will be given when I describe the fanbus.

The fanbus... right. My digicam does not like taking close ups. In fact it is awful, so I shall have to describe it to you. It is a four fan bus, rheo's for the different fans. For fan there is a resistor, one of those black flat things that have three prongs (which have a hole in the middle, round, with the square bits at the edges), and two upright cylinder things (sorry for the vagueness, lol).

The cylinders are just black, no markings for what I can actually read (there are some there, just damn small). The resistors are a light brown, and have four bands, I have no idea which end is which, even trying to follow the traces on the small PCB. But the end that is connected to the black flat things' right prong (looking from the top, with the prongs at the towards you) it goes yellow, purple, dark brown, gold(ish). When this is running, the fans all turn when the knobs are set to lowest. The 120mm fans appear to be runnign at around 6-7v, and the 80mm fans apper to run at around 9-10v. Again, sorry for the vagueness, but I hope you can help, especially if it means saving another PSU from dying.

Saying that though, this 300W psu I have is doing well, with the fans unplugged, and a cd drive disconnected!

So... Anyone up to working this out?

psu's die

on my 420W i am running 2 hdd's 2 cd drives... a tornado, 1x120mm fan, a blue orb, the cooler on my video card, 2 80mm's... and 3 power supply fans... (for a grand total of 9 fans!!!)

it just happens... usually there is no reason

OH GREAT!!

Right this very minute, one of my cpu temps rocketed... to 77c (!) One of the HSF fans died! ARGH!

I actually told mbm5 to ignore the alarms several times before realising, but then I got a house fan and pointed that at the comp... for fiveminutes before I decided to shutdown and change the fan.

Back