• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution: Mobile Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ill give this baby a try when i have the chance :) ...so not only does it unlocks the multipliers, but it cools cpu?

I can verify this works on unlocked desktop Bartons as well. (I'm testing 14x as I type this)

Currently at 2.594 ghz with XPM2600/NF7-S v2 on air.
Without L12 mod: [email protected], 11-3-3-2.5 timings (1t command) @2.9vdimm with PDP PC3200 2x256.
STABLE!

I've heard this mod will raise my FSB speeds from 216-220 to approx. 232-236.
Ram upgrade would be required. Anyone got any benchmarks for me and voltage settings? Thanks

Pls Help

i am using this system:
barton 2500+ on asus a7n8x-x 512 pc3200 r9600 80 gb...
i've reached the maximum level with my overcloaching at 215x10.5=2258...
of course someone got further...but how? :D

I have done this to 2 boards.
Today = MSI K7GN2GM2-LSR which is an Nforce2 IGP board
While Back = Asus A7N8x-Deluxe
Both with XP2500-M chips
Works great! MSI board does NOT have multiplier settings in bios and multiplier defaulted at 6x so I did this mod and now it defaults at 14x. I have no ide why, has to be a bios thing. Got XP2500-M running at 166x14 (2334mhz) on the MSI. Not bad for a board that has NO multiplier or voltage settings.
Note: Desktop boards default automatically at a higher voltage. Default for my XP-M was 1.45 but it runs at 1.62-1.64volts! Kinda nice, now I don't have to do a volt mod too! Well at least not yet ;)

sorry for my bad englisch.

its works :)

but cpu sensor temp. 70°C / read with MBM
and socket temp. 40°C / read with MBM
@ prime95 blend test

hardware

ATHLON XP-M 2600+ IDYHA-Stepping
16*133
a7n8x-deluxe
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu

is the 70°C not too much? with original settings?
or that is a measuring error

I sure hope its a measuring error. If you are getting those kind of temperaturs at such a low overclock i would recomend reseating the heatsink. Like right now...

Well, I have done the "Socket wire trick" in my EPOX 8K5A2+ and with my XP-Mobile 2500+ I already can work to 14x. I can not modify the multiplier because it always boots with the CPU RATIO by default but It recognizes my Mobile to 14x. Before I only had access to a multiplier below 12'5x. Actually I am working to 14x166FSB= 2324GHz. :D

ps. Excellent TRICK.

Regards,
Oscar

I just tested it and it works fine. Dont complicate with searching for the wire -> a single "fibre" from your old floppy drive or HD cable will do.

However, I didnt leave it that way since I can reach 220 with my mobo and memory (stable). Processor maxes out at 2650 Mhz and 2.025 VCore, which is way too much for me. 11,5 X 220 will do just fine.

I do recomend it if you cannot reach high FSBs though (WARNING! some elementary school math knowledge needed here!) - incredibly easy - ;)

What can i say other when W00T W00T!!!1111one1twentytwo

i solders 2 wire to the back of the socket on my mobo then moved them to teh front of the board and use an old dipswitch from a dead mobo to turn it on and off and glued the switch on the pink plastic when the parrallel port is... yay now i can get over 12.5 multi and turn it on and off :>

I have an XP2600+ mobile in an Epox 8K5A mobo.

Prior to the wire trick I had a max multiplier of 12.5 (when set to 13 in the BIOS). Since the wire went in the multiplier defaults to 14, which is nice as far as it goes, but I cannot change it ! I am running at 150x14, (from a 133 fsb), which gives me a little less than the stock speed (running at 2.1GHz rather than stock's 2.13GHz). If I change the mulitplier in the BIOS, the machine either won't boot at all, or resets the fsb to 133 and the multiplier to AUTO (and hence 14). I am reluctant to push the fsb too far, for fear of memory/GPU problems.

Anyone any ideas ? Seems a shame to waste all that potential speed :shrug:

Rug

Last edited:
Asi said - you will have multipliers 13 and above enabled, but those lower ones disabled. This trick is good for those that cannot reach high FSBs only.

Example:

166 X 16 = cca 2640 = 230 X 11.5

So, if you're capable of pushing your board and RAM higher than say, 210 or 215, you most probably DO NOT NEED THIS.

gofra said:
you will have multipliers 13 and above enabled

I know that this is the idea, and it's what I was looking for. My standard fsb is 133, and increasing it increases the AGP and memory, and I don't know what happens if I go too far down that route. Thus changing the multiplier is the sensible option for me. (I have pushed it to 166 and stable so far, but I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to try much more than that ...)

But to reiterate what I wrote in my previous post, when I do this I get a multiplier of 14. Only 14. Not less than 14. Not more than 14. Just 14. If I set it to anything other than 14, it either doesn't POST, or resets to 14.

I would like to know if anyone knows how to get around this. Failing that, details of what overclocking the AGP and PCI and memory will do would be useful.

Rug

Hmmm, interesting - I have no idea why you only have the 14 enabled :S

As for OCing > pushing your frequency wont harm. Pushing voltage however might, so as long as you're trying to raise the FSB - dont worry. The worst thing that can happen is NO POST situation. In this case, clear the CMOS via RESET& INSERT button pressed at the same time or simply taking your battery out for few seconds (or of course, doing it with the jumper on your board)

Some info thought I'd share with people running A7N8X-D rev1.04 boards:

Been running the 13x multi trick in my silent rig for some time now on the A7N8X-D Rev 1.04, then the other day saw new (somewhat) bios rev1008, stating that it adds fsb400 table for rev 1.04 and 1.06 boards.

Woop diggidy, do the flash, loose the wire trick, enable lower multis and:
http://www.vassek.net/a7n8x_fsb.jpg
(with 1007 bios I could not boot above 195fsb).

Wierdly enough a step above 201fsb and you get all sorts of wierd errors (at 205 fsb, it corrupted windows files, had to reinstall). Heheh, it actually almost posts at 220 FSB, but hangs on drive detection :p

Anyhoo, 200fsb was good enough for me, then came a nice long gaming session and came the hangs. Mem timing didnt matter relax or tight same thing, neither did CPU speed, I went down to 1.7ghz, same chit. Then touched north bridge, it was scorching hot.

So had to go down to 195FSB, so far seems to take it.

Conclusion? Dont bother with the new bios. Stick with what you have now.
PS. It actually broke 3gig once: http://www.vassek.net/a7n8x_fsb1.jpg
/wipes a tear. Not too bad for an obsolete board.

@Rug,
With that motherboard you can work to 166FSB and the AGP/PCI will be set to 66/33MHz. I have the same chipset -The KT333. It supports Barton 3000+ (166x13). Surely your XP-Mobile 2600+ will tolerate 166x14=2324GHz. ;)

Oscar

Many revision 1.xx nForce2 boards cannot do 200 FSB. This is not a BIOS problem, the board design is to blame. Make sure you test your overclocked system for stability.

T20 said:
Some info thought I'd share with people running A7N8X-D rev1.04 boards...
Conclusion? Dont bother with the new bios. Stick with what you have now.

If you have a multiplier locked CPU (again, only IF you have an unlocked CPU) this thread tells you how you can post multipliers that certain motherboards cannot post.

DFI, Abit, Soltek and a couple of others CAN post ALL multipliers so this mod is not needed for them. But others do need it.

L12 mod is something else. Look for L12 mod threads or start a new one.

Back