• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution: Mobile Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great thread

Just want to confirm that the wire trick does work for the asus A7V333 rev 1.xx

Running good at 14x166 and now I will try and see how high I can get it.

i got a xp 2800 mobile (barton) and it is unlocked why???? i am running at almost 2.5 with a 14 multi. so i know its not locked. what is the highest u can get out these little babys anyway?

asus-a7v8x said:
i got a xp 2800 mobile (barton) and it is unlocked why???? i am running at almost 2.5 with a 14 multi. so i know its not locked. what is the highest u can get out these little babys anyway?

The 2800+ mobile runs at higher voltage and generally overclocks less than the low voltage 2400+, 2500+ and the one most likely to overclock the highest: 2600+ mobile.

Power supply can & does make a deference with major overclocking so you should list the brand model.

2600+ with top notch cooling and power supply brand is expected to do 2.5 GHz, but people get lucky and hit more than that.

[200] FSB x 12 = 2400 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.8 Vdd
Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
AIW 9600XT 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe an AMD XP-M?

Hello,

I plan to buy a AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+.
My board is Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

The 2800+ runs with 16*133. So my question is, if my board could handle a multiplicator of 16? Now i'm using a "normal" Athlon XP 2800+, and if it is a "AXDA..." and i've got bridged it, a multiplicator over 12.5 is not possible, the systems automatically limits the multi to 6.5 or so.

Does somebody know, if i will have this problem with the XP-M, too? or does somebody know if the wire-trick will work on my board?

Greetz
DerBastarD

Newer Desktop Bartons are multiplier locked. There is nothing you can do to change the locked multiplier to use with your Asus board. There is no trick for multiplier locked CPUs for this board.

The wire trick is ONLY for old unlocked desktop CPUs and for mobile CPUs.

Desktop 2800+ Barton runs at 12.5 x 166 FSB. It does not run at 16 x 133 FSB.

Your Asus board can post default multiplers (it doesn't matter what they are, it doesn't matter if they are 9x or 16x) Asus can post DEFAULT multipliers but if you have an unlocked CPU, then with Asus, you need the wire trick to post certain other multipliers.

You can change the multiplier on new mobile (not desktop) CPUs.

Note that mobile 2800+ does not overclock as well as mobile 2600+, mobile 2500+ and mobile 2400+ so we would not suggest you buy a 2800+ mobile or any other Socket A mobile except for the 2400+, 2500+ and 2600+ mobiles.

Which CPU do you have, post the code if you can.

Last edited:
Hey will this work on Abit KG7 mobo with MP2200+ ?

I have multi's from 13x & below now, KG7 has no divisors 1:1 , 4:5 or pci/agp lock so I need more multi's

Theres one more setting in the bios it sayes 13x and above, I tryed to use that but it wont boot at all.

One more lil thing you need to know, The KG7 does not officaly support MP2200+ It does not recognize it in the KG7 bios it sayes "Unknown CPU"

It does run fine at [email protected] , Default voltage, crucial ddr2100.

I would love to get multi's above 13x so I can push this chip too 2gig.

Im thinking about just going for it but I dont wana fry the CPU, any opinions ?

Well for some reason wire_trick will not work on this mobo/cpu combo KG7/MP2200+ It was worth a shot tho. Infact it wouldnt post at all just sat there with a black screen, no beep codes nothing. :shrug: (I double & tripple checked the holes were the right ones before Inserting the cpu)

Never the less Its cranking at [email protected], 1.8Ghz, [email protected]. 45c load Bus speed is 288.

Right now its been running SPI_32m & P95 Blend for 2 hours no errors yet, I have to keep restarting SPI after the 32m pass.

It posted at 2.0 Ghz with 1.8core 2.8vdimm as soon as I ran P95 It errored
1.9ghz ran for 15 min then error I think 2.8v on ddr2100 is a tad too much, no active cooling on the ram either.

Not bad for a cpu i didnt think would even post in a KG7
Anyway I give to much details for this thred thx for the help

I think you're either maxing the Chipset or the RAM. The system was only made for PC2100. Back when I tried to push it I pretty much maxed around 140. 150 was extreme with some hard work like 3.1 volts to the RAM and a Super cooled NB(Moving the board outside in a canadian winter).

I have a Thoroughbred chip, is this mod valid for it as well ?

12.5X is the highest multiplier I can get, and this is with setting it at 13X in the BIOS. For some reason with setting it at 13X, it only yields 12.5X. Setting it any higher just makes the mobo default to stock speed.

If it is an old multiplier unlocked T-Bred (post the code), yes you need this wire trick as well because of Epox.

Epox motherboards can only access lower range (12.5 or lower) or Higher range 13 and higher but not both ranges at the same time but only IF your chip itself is old and multiplier unlocked. It wouldn't work with newer superlocked T-Breds.

I just tried this on my Epox 8KHA+ and unlocked Tbred B 1700+, and it refused to post. I put the CPU back in without the wire and it started right up, then I tried the wire once more and it refused to post again.

Is there any other way I can get the 13X+ multipliers ? I know this chip has more in it, and I can set those higher multipliers in the BIOS, but I just cant get this thing to boot up past 12.5X.

Yeah, I have an Epox too and they're not very good at posting all multipliers.

Lower the FSB all the way to 133 FSB then try higher multiplers...

Well I dropped in the piece of wire and it didn't work, so I figured I might be trying to run the chip faster than it wanted to go, so I cleared the CMOS and tried again, and still no boot. If I had the CPU settings on auto and it wont post with the wire mod in place, that tells me that the wire mod is incompatible with the board or the CPU.

The wire mod works but
a. The CPU has to be factory unlocked
b. The wire needs to be in the correct place
c. Not all multipliers work on some motherboards so try lowering the FSB way way down, then try an even higher multiplier to then see if your board will post. remember, with the wire in, you lose 12.5 and lower multipliers, only 13 and up work so try an even higher multiplier than 13 with a low FSB...

Last edited:
Good. Remember with summer coming they'll be running hotter so stable winter overclocks may not be stable in the hottest days of summer.

Remember to run stability tests again in July :)

Back