• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something weird happened.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Face

Registered
For some reason, after a reboot last night after installing Max Payne, now I can't run any game that needs a CD in the drive to load up. It gives me this error that cd is not in the drive, or some temp file is missing. Weird *****. Games install from the disk bu they won't run afterward. WTF? Any ideas? Somebody has had to seen this before you would think. I was poking around in the registry in the "Run" key trying to minimize TSR's but didn't think I messed with any cd rom keys? Help! I can't run my games on my gamer pc!
Oh, Win98SE.:eek:

Yikes! :eek:

I don't want to sound like a warez nazi, but are those discs copied/backups?

When I buy a new game, I immediately burn a backup, and use the backup disc for install/play. (Calm down, I don't sell or lend them away. That's a no-no.) Sometimes, if burned incorrectly, older drives will have trouble verifying the disc via Safedisc. Although that doesn't explain why it would suddenly quit working, if it was working in the past...

Have you tried a different CD-ROM drive? How old is the one you have?

Oh oh oh - almost forgot, WELCOME TO TEH FORUMZ OMG!!111[b/] :D

Registry are really sensitive I had a program where I had to change the registry and then it wouldnt boot so I just did a fresh new install of win xp

if you have more then one cd-rom/cd=rw/dvd it can cause probs. I have had games not work because i installed it from one drive and tried playing fromanother.

Ok, now I'm ****ed.

I've reinstalled 98se. Still won't work. I have the OS on a 2 gig partition and the program files on the 18 gig other partiton, ( so I can reimage the OS from the 18 gig in case your wondering for internet reasons) Anyway, War3 won't run it keeps telling me "make sure your wa3 idsk is in the drive" well it is! Max pain won't run either. But I can install a old game like Darkstone and it works fine or Heretic2 they look for disk and run and ask when no disk is in. Could this some kind of problem with the hard drive maybe. It just started happening all a suddon, But wait, after I installed that 3dmark2001 crap and rebooted a couple of times it started happening. Could there be something wrong with my mobo now after that? Oh and I've tryed different cdroms, different cables and different jumpers and put it on the primart IDE along with the harddisk and nothing works. Dare I say would a virus cause this? Oh max pain says something different when I try to launch it. View the attached jpg.
Please help me figure this out Im dying to play the PAYNE, shoot I just bought the freaking thing and just did the tuitorial. only:(

have you tried re-installing the games?
(i'm assuming you have them installed in the second partition)

the registry in win9X is very picky, if one key isn't what it should be then it can cripple the entire OS. i wouldn't mess with it too much unless you plan to format and re-install all the time. (i learned that the hard way)

Ok I fixed it.

I found a buch of stuff on the web and tryed these things:

1. Uninstall max.

2. Empty your 'c:\windows\temp directory' (make sure 'show hidden files' is on so you can select and delete _ALL_ the files in there).

3. Delete all the directories and files in the 'c:\program files\installshield installation information' directory (You'll need 'show hidden files' on to see this directory as it's marked hidden).

4. Reboot.

5. Reinstall max.

6. Play and/or repatch.

And then,...
make sure the following are checked: Disconnect, Sync Data Transfer, Auto Insert Notification. Make sure DMA is unchecked. On your CD-rom

And then,...(optional mine was already)
On the Device Manager tab, left click the plus (+) in front of the "Creative Miscellaneous Devices" line. Highlight the "Creative SB16 Emulation" line, left click the Properties button, then select the Settings tab. At the bottom of the Settings properties page, check the "Allow LPT Interrupt Sharing" checkbox, select "Apply", then "OK". Restart the PC

And then,....
reboot, test,

And then,....
reboot, test,

And then,....
reboot, test,

And then,....
reboot, test,

And then,....
reboot, test,:D

But that did for now. Good Luck if you have the same problem.:burn:

Back