• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED SSD caching or no? Is there a compromise possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if he 'uses' the songs more than an application, wouldnt those songs then be cached?
*edit* ^ exactly. :)

Yeah, they would be. But unless he uses 30GB of music every day it's not going to be an issue. Each of those files, probably, will be touched about once a week. And they're not very big. So I doubt that they would be marked as a good thing to cache over a game that gets played even as little as twice a week.

*edit* ^ exactly. :)

Yeah, they would be. But unless he uses 30GB of music every day it's not going to be an issue. Each of those files, probably, will be touched about once a week. And they're not very big. So I doubt that they would be marked as a good thing to cache over a game that gets played even as little as twice a week.
That's great!

I won't need to partition my HDD then!

You are overcomplicating your system.

Choose one of the following and buy the parts for it if necessary (remember, this only my opinion).

1) Large HD ie, 2TB, and small SSD say 40GB to cache.

2) Option 1 AND a 120GB fast SSD as your main drive, using the SSD/cache combo from number one for mass storage.

3) Large HD, no SRT, and a 120 or 240GB fast SSD as main drive.
Well, you were right from the beginning...

I finally chose to follow your advices, with a little bit of variation:

I will use the Crucial M4 64GB as my primary drive for W7 OS only,
then I decided to buy a second SSD (OCZ Agility 3, 60GB) as SSD caching for my 2TB WB Caviar Black.

That should be fast enough, and I get the possibility to clean my primary drive real fast by reinstalling my OS alone, leaving all my programs intact on the HDD (hopefully, those programs will still function properly with a newly installed W7...).

Anyway, thanks (and sorry for my nervous replys, I hadn't slept for a long time...too excited about my first build)

Seipher :chair:

Most applications require a reinstall in order to function properly. There are occasional game that work properly (Steam and Blizzard games are a few that work regardless of when the OS is installed) but most applications will require a fresh install.

Most applications require a reinstall in order to function properly. There are occasional game that work properly (Steam and Blizzard games are a few that work regardless of when the OS is installed) but most applications will require a fresh install.
Too bad there is no easy solution to reinstall a OS,

1) either I reinstall all the programs that doesn't work anymore (it would be so time-consuming that I can almost forget that option... I have some geological programs that are a pain ** *** *** to install)

2) either I do a full OS system image (from my SSD) when I have finished installing all my programs on my HDD,

3) or either I just forget it and let my OS drive accumulating crap over time (that's what I have been doing for the past 3 years with my actual laptop, and also an incentive to build me right now another system! I would still have liked an easy way to deal with this problem this time)

Then again, I suppose that's not a so big deal nowaday with the fast rigs we get, to let some crap accumulate in it. Anyway, I will probably go with the second option which seems to be the most efficient and time-saving one.

Thank for your information.

Back