• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about doing an XP vs Vista Beta 2 Performance Review, Need Input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LoneWolf121188 said:
argh...looks like the .iso is corrupted in some way, it keeps getting an error at 27% during the unpacking phase...
You don't unpack ISOs to burn them.

However, r** archives are usually used to unpack ISOs. Microsoft, however, doesn't give you r** files, they give you straight ISOs.

:beer:

^^ hehe, no, you misunderstand (though I catch your drift :) ). The install goes through multiple phases, one of which is unpacking its own archives. It copies archives over to the HDD, then unpacks em.

I figured out one major cause of slowness: I had both monitors running with Aero. Apparently my system can't handle that kind of load (and thats just from the OS! :eek: ). Disabling one monitor helps a ton, but I can't seem to be able to enable SLI with these nVidia beta drivers.

well seeing how nothing is really optimized this isn't too big of a surprise. That and didn't you say that Vista had trouble dealing with SLI (currently)? That could be a major reason for this.

Yes, Vista currently doesn't support SLI, but the 3DM06 scores I posted above were without SLI enabled in both Vista and XP. I get 4904 in 3DM06 with SLI enabled in XP.

Vista is extremely buggy on my desktop rig.. it wouldnt install sound drivers or do much of anything.. I suggest you wait until a later beta comes out before benching it.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Vista is extremely buggy on my desktop rig.. it wouldnt install sound drivers or do much of anything.. I suggest you wait until a later beta comes out before benching it.

Or maybe even the real version, so that the test is actually worth something... :eek:

Yeah, after playing around with it, I'd have to agree. Its fun to mess around in it, but not much else. Certainly not smooth or compatible enough to use as a full time OS.

Back