• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Put Together a New Machine, Recommendations Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

Hi all, It's been almost three years now since I bought my last new PC, this one is on it's last legs as the OS is corrupt or something. Will be buying a new machine and installing Win 7 to it, but I need some recommendations on components for it.

I plan to purchase for the new machine just about everything.
MB
CPU
RAM
Power Supply
Video Card
DVD drive x2 for copying
Fans
HDDs

I need some recommendations especailly for MB, CPU, and RAM. Will be posting some other questions in other forums also on some of the minor compents like HDDs today.

The motherboard must have an IDE slot if possible, though I guess I can just buy the new dvd drives that don't need it... I need about 6 slots for hard drives, multiple places for fans, I have a video card, a tv card, and it needs to have onboard sound and DSL as well as an e-sata slot. It would also be lovely if it had two external serial slots, but I have never seen this... I have my ups and my weather station that both compete for the slot, so everytime I reboot I have issues, I decided to forgo installing the ups software, but would really like to have it, but they both use serial.

Here is what I usually do on my pc.

150-300 browser windows opened at one time, usually opera or firefox.
Weather station software
outlook which has about 15 different accounts
2-3 word files
1-2 excel files
1-2 pdf files
some computer monitor software like SMART or defrag.
Norton 2010 running
UPS status running
Some IE windows
listening to music
Some other software application running.

Occaisonally I will have my webcam running as well, printing, etc. As well as I have an external hdd that I use sometimes.

Yes, it is quite a load, and usually kills my resources, and this is a daily thing. The 150-300 browser windows is what really creates a problem. It utilizes a lot of memory, so, when I upgrade this time I want to expand my ram as much as the motherboard will take.

My budget is around $1200 max. Optimal will be around $800, but I think it's going to be quite difficult due to how much RAM I need.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Here is what I usually do on my pc.

150-300 browser windows opened at one time, usually opera or firefox.
Weather station software
outlook which has about 15 different accounts
2-3 word files
1-2 excel files
1-2 pdf files
some computer monitor software like SMART or defrag.
Norton 2010 running
UPS status running
Some IE windows
listening to music
Some other software application running.

Um...I think you might need this.

SCG-9107.jpg

Really though, that is a lot of FF windows. Are you set on using Windows? Would some alt OS work where? I would say jump straight into the i7 920 arena(1366), but you could save some money going with a high end C2Q? Maybe a i5/i7, but I don't really know much about the 1156,

if hes not rendering hes not gonna need an i7. id say a i5 750. first off who uses 150-300 windows in firefox? and please get rid of norton get avg free or avira.

but yeah id say you need atleast 4gbs of ram its gonna be hard to get 8 with your budget.

LOL, nah I don't need something that big, but it would be a kick to have that. hahaha.

Yeah I am pretty set on using Windows because I am not familar with Lynix and I have too many programs that are O/S specific to Windows, I don't want to buy them all again.

I was looking at the i5 as it is cheaper. the i7 is about $100 more.

I don't really know what is the difference between the i chips and the C2Q chips, which is better and what is the comparison?

Austin, I was planning on getting about 12-24gb for this new machine. 2-4 is not going to cut it. I think I can get a 1gb chip here for about $30 a gb. Though I need to check the computer market when I go.

right now I use 2gb, and it just doesn't do it... I need more, and am willing to buy a cheaper mb and chip to get more ram. Because frankly I dont really notice a lot of difference in the cpu's. I could probably manage abotu 1300 for a new machine, i just need to maybe not buy as many hdds at the beginning. and only buy one dvd instead of two.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634
look at all the benches in there

but may i ask whats up with all the windows, outlook, other random stuff?

Well I do a lot of research and can never find anything in my bookmarks so I just leave them all open so I can get to them quickly. When I research something I will open up many sessions of the same website, for example even this forum right now I have about 10 opened. I hate constatntly trying to find the link I want. It's just my user habit, so RAM is going to be critical I think. I went from 1gb to two last time and figured it would be enough, it wasn't, so this time I really need to max out the mb, 16-24 would be great, but...

go with i7 920(1366) more rams slots and you will save $ because you typically buy 3 sets of w.e amount and typically have 6 slots. so like 2 x (3 x 2gb sets) would be the cheapest way.

Is your Windows XP 64 bit? I am not sure the top limit - 128/192/1.21 gigawatts, but either way, you will need a 64 bit to use anything over ~3.5GB.

I am going to buy the ultimate version, note this is not part of the $1200 budget, it's separate. I am buying ultimate because I do not want to change my printer right now and have been told this version is excellent because you can switch back to XP.

Right now I am using XP 32bit I think, so yes, I am limited to 3.5gb. Win 7 is 64 bit so I think it is however much ram the MB will support.

I just had a thought.. I suppose I could save money if I could get some longer use out of my current machine, but I would have to buy new memory for it as I only have 2gb right now. For my current machine is it possible to add 8gb of ram? I forgot if DDR2-800 allows for 2x2 or if it has to be 1x1. If it will allow for 8gb than I can just go by 4 new simms of 2gb each. I would deffinately buy OC ram for the machine so I can start to OC again. I will need the extra ram for Win 7. Or is my PC too old now to run Win 7 at all?

w.e. amount?

So what you mean is that the MB for the i7 will have more Ram slots? So you mean to buy like this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...(Desktop+Memory)-_-Kingston+HyperX-_-20104155 And buy like 3 sets of it?

But I am going to see any further performance of the i7? I am not really familar with rendering, what is that?

I7 920 (1366) uses tri channel mem compared to the I5 (1156) that uses dual channel. 1366=6 ram slots vs. 1156=4 ram slots.

that mem would work for either setup but if your getting a total of 12gb it would be more expensive than buying two of these for the I7 920(1366):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

you arent going to see a performace difference from the i7 920 vs the i5 750 for what you're doing the only reason id recommend the i7 920 is because of extra ram slots

I just had a thought.. I suppose I could save money if I could get some longer use out of my current machine, but I would have to buy new memory for it as I only have 2gb right now. For my current machine is it possible to add 8gb of ram? I forgot if DDR2-800 allows for 2x2 or if it has to be 1x1. If it will allow for 8gb than I can just go by 4 new simms of 2gb each. I would deffinately buy OC ram for the machine so I can start to OC again. I will need the extra ram for Win 7. Or is my PC too old now to run Win 7 at all?

Yes you can find 2x2gb kits of DDR2 that will work with the P5B Deluxe.

Yes your computer can run Win7 fine. I'm running Win7 Pro64 on a 1.67ghz C2D laptop with 2 gb of ram and it is very smooth.

A used Q6600 and new ram would breath some life into your setup without spending the big bucks of building an entirely new rig. Another CPU option would be a E8400. My old P5B D loved the E8400 I had, benching around 4.6ghz with a daily stable anywhere from 4ghz to 4.4ghz depending on how I wanted to run at the time.

Get more RAM for your current PC and see where that gets you. You can open up Task Manager and see your total RAM usage (physical + virtual). If it's higher than the amount of physical RAM that you have then you will benefit from more.

I don't think you need a i5 or an i7 to do the things you mentioned...just more RAM. Those are not very CPU intensive programs. 4GB might be all you need, but 6-8GB should definitely be enough. 12+GB is way overkill for your usage.

Also, going with an SSD for your OS/Programs should give you some performance you can feel.

Get more RAM for your current PC and see where that gets you. You can open up Task Manager and see your total RAM usage (physical + virtual). If it's higher than the amount of physical RAM that you have then you will benefit from more.

I don't think you need a i5 or an i7 to do the things you mentioned...just more RAM. Those are not very CPU intensive programs. 4GB might be all you need, but 6-8GB should definitely be enough. 12+GB is way overkill for your usage.

Also, going with an SSD for your OS/Programs should give you some performance you can feel.

i mentioned 4gb to 8gb but he wanted atleast 12, considering a firefox window barely uses any mem but to be on the safe side since he has multiple of everything running id probly go with 8gb max

With what he does the more memory the better. Get 4gb sticks. and a MB with 4 slots. Buy 2 stciks now amd 2 more if you need em.

How are the CPU/MB/MEM/Vid prices in Taipei? If you plan to visit the US soon a stop at a Fry's might be in order. SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX & San Diego all have one near by the Airport

look at my build in my sig and consider these components,tho you might want more ram and a more up to date gpu,but the mobo cpu and ram should be a great start for you.

Thanks all for your replies. I am highly considering to just tweak some of my current pc to save money.

Yes you can find 2x2gb kits of DDR2 that will work with the P5B Deluxe.

Yes your computer can run Win7 fine. I'm running Win7 Pro64 on a 1.67ghz C2D laptop with 2 gb of ram and it is very smooth.

A used Q6600 and new ram would breath some life into your setup without spending the big bucks of building an entirely new rig. Another CPU option would be a E8400. My old P5B D loved the E8400 I had, benching around 4.6ghz with a daily stable anywhere from 4ghz to 4.4ghz depending on how I wanted to run at the time.

I will have to see if I can find somewhere that is still selling CPUs that will fit my pc. Can I use the E8400 in this machine? That is an older chip also right? I am not sure I could even find it now. I assume the E8400 is better than the Q6600? And indeed I would do overclocking, I had been overclocking my current chip which is the Core 2 Due E6300.

Currect spec.
Intel E6300
P5B DLX - Wifi
2G DDRII 800 - A-Data
Asus 7300GT/256mb graphics card
430W Seasonic PSU - 12cm fan series

Right now I am using over 2gb and I have very little opened. My OS is corrupt or something, I have to reboot everyday otherwise everything just doesn't work and I cannot open anything else. This has been going on for 6 months. I am virus and spyware free so it has to be my OS I think. I have already increased virtual memory to like 8gb, did notice some difference but because I have not reinstalled the OS in three years I think it is time. But I was waiting to get Win 7 ultimate. Will this motherboard support the 64bit? I think it is not related, but I figured I would ask anyway.

With what he does the more memory the better. Get 4gb sticks. and a MB with 4 slots. Buy 2 stciks now amd 2 more if you need em.

How are the CPU/MB/MEM/Vid prices in Taipei? If you plan to visit the US soon a stop at a Fry's might be in order. SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX & San Diego all have one near by the Airport

The prices in Taipei are pretty good, remember just about all of that stuff is made here, or well, now some of it in China. I would say the prices are reasonable and I can negotiate a little bit if I pay cash. And there are a bunch of vendors all in the same building, but they all have similar prices, though some are willing to come down a little bit if you buy everything from them. If I choose not to buy a new machine than I can save quite a bit. DDR-2 800 should be much cheaper now, and I would need 4 chips to max out what I currently have. And a new chip, if I can find one that fits this machine probably will run at most $150. I am just not sure how much longer this motherboard will last, I always worry to upgrade the stuff inside without changing the motherboard, if it dies I am not sure I can find another one... in the long run i actually end up spending more...

Back