• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Put Together a New Machine, Recommendations Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if i were you i would seriously consider a new pc you obviously could use more power than that old system,i just made you one on newegg for $836 with a i7-920 and asus p6t mobo,6 gigs of triple channel 1600 ramfor another $150 you can make it 12 gigs, 1 terabyte hdd,a case and power supply,and video card.you said you wanted to use your old ide dvd drives so i picked a mobo that would let you or you can upgraide them both for $60 more.if you like i can email you the shopping cart, pm me your email and ill send it.i tryed to figure out a way to post it here but i couldn't.i also posted it on newegg in the public wishlists under the name "for techiemon"

Hi,

Thanks for doing this. I do want to have a look at it, but can't find it on newegg, what title did you use? I checked under techiemon it isn't listed.

I5 overclocked, 6 gigs of ddr3, check out tomshardware's budget gfx cards for January thread.

If you want to save more money, go amd.

Now I have a big delimna... I am not sure whether to build a new system or just add more memory and possible swap out the cpu in my old machine now....

just get a Q9550, 4x2GB RAM (new sticks or they might not be compatible with eachother to run in Dual Channel). 8GB RAM will not have any problems with what you want. Overclock your new Q9550 to 3.6 or more and you're golden. Reformat yes, and do not install programmes you do not need.

I was actually also looking at the

core 2 extreme qx9650
core 2 extreme qx6850
core 2 extreme qx6700

Some of them I can use and some of them I cannot, I need to go back and check, but whats the difference between the Q9550 and the ones above? That is if I have the right C2E chips I can use with my MB.

I was actually also looking at the

core 2 extreme qx9650
core 2 extreme qx6850
core 2 extreme qx6700

Some of them I can use and some of them I cannot, I need to go back and check, but whats the difference between the Q9550 and the ones above? That is if I have the right C2E chips I can use with my MB.

Those CPUs are a waste of money without really expensive cooling.

Your P5B-D is a socket 775 board. If you are looking for a CPU upgrade go with either a cheap E8X00 series chip or a Q6600. You should be able to snag both used for fairly cheap. The E8X00 chips are the newest dual cores for 775 and the Q6600 is a pretty common quad that you should get around 3.6ghz with decent cooling.

Try upgrading your ram first. If that doesn't work then think about a CPU upgrade.

If you are more concerned with your budget... get a Q9550 and overclock it.
With regards to your ram, if running all those tabs maxs out your current memory then go with 4 sticks of 2GB DDR2.

If you are thinking of dumping even more money into your old system then you may be better off in the long run just upgrading your whole platform.

Edit: I agree that a used Q6600 revision G0 would also be a good choice.

Will this motherboard support the 64bit? I think it is not related, but I figured I would ask anyway.

It depends on your CPU, not mobo, but yes your CPU supports 64-bit.

Get some more RAM first and install Win7 and see where that gets you. If you also decide to upgrade your CPU get an E8400 E0, Q6600 G0, or Q9550 E0, but I would wait to see if you need that. I don't think you do.

Those CPUs are a waste of money without really expensive cooling.

Your P5B-D is a socket 775 board. If you are looking for a CPU upgrade go with either a cheap E8X00 series chip or a Q6600. You should be able to snag both used for fairly cheap. The E8X00 chips are the newest dual cores for 775 and the Q6600 is a pretty common quad that you should get around 3.6ghz with decent cooling.

Try upgrading your ram first. If that doesn't work then think about a CPU upgrade.

Ahhh yes. So the Q6600 is pretty much the fastest chip I can install then. With this motherboard will it OC easily and as stable as my E6300 does? Any recommendations for brand of RAM? I can get Adata, Transend, and Hynix for sure. Some of the others I am not quite sure if I can get it here or not. All three of these are made here.

It depends on your CPU, not mobo, but yes your CPU supports 64-bit.

Get some more RAM first and install Win7 and see where that gets you. If you also decide to upgrade your CPU get an E8400 E0, Q6600 G0, or Q9550 E0, but I would wait to see if you need that. I don't think you do.

Yeah but if I upgrade RAM I don't need to reinstall the OS but if I swap out the CPU I have to reinstall the O/S, right? I think it would be better to go with the whole thing at one time... Will my motherboard last another 3 years? I leave my pc on 24/7. Which of the chips you mention will be the fastest, most stable, especially when overclocked with my motherboard? Any recomendations for RAM brand?

i still say you should go with an i7,why good spend money on out dated tech? your going to spend almost as much building a core 2 system,why not future proof yourself a bit and who ever says you wont see a performance difference between a i7 and a core duo 1.8 obviously hasn't tried a i7 yet there not even in the same ballpark.i look at computers like cars,when its time for a new one you can ether keep dumping money into the old beat up one or you can use that money and drive a nice new one around and not have to worry about keep fixing it every few months

ok i just looked up a core duo setup on newegg and you would save a few hundred but you wouldn't gain anything from the cpu your already running.

Last edited:
Yeah but if I upgrade RAM I don't need to reinstall the OS but if I swap out the CPU I have to reinstall the O/S, right? I think it would be better to go with the whole thing at one time... Will my motherboard last another 3 years? I leave my pc on 24/7. Which of the chips you mention will be the fastest, most stable, especially when overclocked with my motherboard? Any recomendations for RAM brand?
considering how much your computer is running and how many hours you already have on your motherboard i wouldn't be using it for overclocking considering you want another three years out it,it could very well work for another ten years but then again it could fry any day now.ive had mobo's fry after a year of heavy use and some i have still work(but are retired)

Based on the costs, a new system will probably cost me over $1200...

Buying a new CPU and 8gb of ram plus a new HDD for my old system will cost around $500

I do see where you are coming from, but it's more than double to buy a new machine...

I don't know...

Based on the costs, a new system will probably cost me over $1200...

Buying a new CPU and 8gb of ram plus a new HDD for my old system will cost around $500

I do see where you are coming from, but it's more than double to buy a new machine...

I don't know...
with the hours of use you have on your system if reliability is a issue i would consider a new psu and motherboard too,i mean three years of use non stop is the equivalent of 7 or 8 years of use for a typical persons usage.so im sure your motherboard wont last another 3 years like that and you psu is probably tired as well

I still say get the RAM and then install a new OS or just reinstall XP. You are having OS problems, so fix that first. A fresh OS install can make any PC run much better.

I7 is great, but if you're not gaming, encoding, ect you won't notice a difference. Web browsing doesn't require i7 horsepower, and neither do any of the other things you mentioned.

You don't need to reinstall the OS after a RAM or CPU swap. If you change your mobo you will want to reinstall the OS for sure, though.

The E6300 is still a great C2D CPU. Give her another chance by first eliminating the RAM bottleneck you have. An SSD is another thing that would give you a noticeably snappier overall experience that you will feel much more than an i7 upgrade.

I have gone through all your posts and you need to Format and reinstall your windows xp if you install windows 7 it will wipe xp off your drive and you cant upgrade with windows 7:eek:

i agree about a fresh install of windows,who knows maybe you'll be able to just settle with that till your ready for a new system or rebuild.heck i never keep an os installed on my pc for more than about 6 months before i start over with a fresh install.if its been 3 years for you your way over do,i bet your registry is a total mess buy now:eek:

Back