• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable and Thermal throttling FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmikeCraft

Registered
Hello guys,

Im Mike and im new on this forum.
most of the time i always try to figure all my problems out on my own. by reading posts of other people mainly on this site actually.

But if have a few problems with my new FX 8350 CPU.
I am unable to even get it stable on stock settings.

The cpu is put on a 970 Extreme4 board by Asrock.
Now i have read about the 4+1 power phase problem, but i dont think this should be an issue with stock speeds.

I already tried a voltage as low as 1.2500 for the CPU, but even with this voltage it throttles it self down. This happens @ ~53/55 degrees celsius.

I also tried a voltage of 1.4200 @ 4400mhz, this kept it stable until i stopped prime 95, because it got to 76 degrees. ( is that not very high for a Noctua NH-D14 ? )

Any other voltage combination i tried so far just throttles it down. ( Wich i thought would only happen at high temps )

I already disabled all of the AMD power management options, and i have the latest BIOS version installed (P2.60)

I really dont know what to do right now. All information is welcome.

Some PC specs :

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
1x 200mm Intake fan
1x 200mm Exhaust fan
1x 120mm Exhaust fan

Noctua NH-D14 with stock 120mm and 140mm fan (Full speed)

AMD FX 8350
Samsung SSD 830
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 (Stock speeds for now)
OCZ 600watt 80 plus PSU

Attachments

• 2014_07_08_17_08_46_ProShot__1404832622_86.81.90.212.jpg
    2014_07_08_17_08_46_ProShot__1404832622_86.81.90.212.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 2,517
Okay, you are right about that.

But what is the diffrence between the 8150 that is supported, and the 8350 that isnt.

The power consumption is the same is it not ?

Indeed they should be close. However, there are microcode differences. I wouldn't run a octo anything in that board as its just not up to the task, especially overclocked.

You're right E_D not "officially" supported. The best advice would be to replace the board if it'snew with something more capable of handling an 8 core FX. Two things I can think of in the interim , check for APM and HPC in the bios. Disable APM and enable HPC if it's present. Most of the 8350 can be undervolted but it's still a huge load for that poor board. You also won't get the performance you're looking for since overclocking isn't in the cards. These CPUs really need more speed to shine.

SmikeCraft, as ED stated the 4+1 Power phase Vrm section on your board is most likely the issue. You may be able to run it at stock clocks, but doubtful at anything over that. You can try mounting a small fan on the Vrm heatsink but it may not make a difference due to the Noctua already blowing air over it. If that doesn't help then most likely you need to get a beefier board. You can also try shutting down two of the cores but that also defeats the purpose of having an Fx 8xxx.

Okay thx already.

I do still find it strange that i can run it longer on a higher voltage, then on a lower one before it throttles.

What board would you recommend that is a bit of a reasonable price and allows for some overclocking.

About 150, 160 dollars. but if there is something above that, that would work better i can always go a bit higher.\

Just a good board, i want to be done with this crap

Well best way to state it is this and I'll list them from lowest price to highest on Newegg:
GA-970A-UD3P, good board and should be able to push a Fx 8 series as far as you want on ambient cooling. I always have a tough time recommending them because of the different revisions on the 990Fx ud3 have had issues but it may not be the same on the 970 ud3

Gigabyte 990Fxa UD3, good board but we've seen issues with the different revisions, it can be a good board if you get the right revision. Rev 3.0 is troublesome and not a good board for an Fx 8xxx.

Asrock Fatil1ty Killer, from what we have seen is a good board capable of running up to around 4.5 "stable" without issues. Pushed beyond that we do not have enough knowledge if it's capable to run an 8xxx stable.

Asus M5A99x/990FX pro both good boards also capable of pushing to around 4.5 stable but fail to be able to run "stable" much above that.

Asrock Extreme 9 good board and should be able to push as far as an Fx 8xxx will go on ambient cooling

Asus 990fx Sabertooth highly recommended board because we know it works and will be able to push a Fx 8xxx as far as you want it to go.

Asus Crosshar V Formula, great board as good as the Extreme 9 and Sabertooth but more bells and whistles then the average joe needs. Not recommended unless you're going to be doing some extreme overclocking and benching.

Im thinking about the ASUS 990FX SAbertooth.

One other thing though, on the asrock 970 the Temp with the Noctua already got to 75 Degrees. is this because its just gets so hot. Or is this because of the crappy boards VRM heats everything up

You can't go wrong with the Sabertooth. I'd say a combo of the VRM and not enough airflow through the cas. A 200mm fan jisn't enough intake IMO

You would get more air that way, the 200mm fans are good for quiet but not so much for performance.

after some thought il be going for the gigabyte. it will be enough for the Overclocking i will be able to do with my cooling after all.

This leaves me with some money for some better RAM. and some 120mm fans
Any suggestions about that aswell ?

What ram are you using ATM ?? As for fans high CFM(100+) within your price range

Back