• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock Shootout, part deux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill is watching this thread and some of you have already PM'd
him.

Note, to make this work a lot of good blocks should be entered
and the contest would somehow have to pay for Bill's work. This
is a LOT of work. Anything less is pointless. Bill can speak for himself,
but I can tell you all blocks entered would be treated
fairly to a fault. That's what you want, right?

The contest could also help future WB design, because we could
all debate why the winners were winners.:D

the whole why winners are winners is a good thing, BUT everyone(dden etc) is gonna take the designs and screw the person over that made them...Like the block im tempted to enter, Noone else has something like it, got the idea from 2 people but its totally different........... so thats what im cautious about....

Guys, I HIGHLY doubt BillA would do testing for US. He takes hours upon hours, maybe even days to get results from just ONE block. If he was sent say 15 blocks, it would probably take him 2 - 4 weeks to do it right, and this would take up ALL his time meaning he would have no time for ANYTHING else. A donation would be in order of course, but how much $$$$ does say a month of BillA's time cost? I also have a hunch, he would not really be interested in testing "home brewed" blocks. By home brewed I mean one off's. Even though say the "Type-S" and the "White Water" are home brewed, they can be reproduced and sold (and are) and they can be made to exacting copies. So a block made on a drill press by hand really can't ever be duplicated exactly.

nikhsub1 said:
Guys, I HIGHLY doubt BillA would do testing for US. He takes hours upon hours, maybe even days to get results from just ONE block. If he was sent say 15 blocks, it would probably take him 2 - 4 weeks to do it right, and this would take up ALL his time meaning he would have no time for ANYTHING else. A donation would be in order of course, but how much $$$$ does say a month of BillA's time cost? I also have a hunch, he would not really be interested in testing "home brewed" blocks. By home brewed I mean one off's. Even though say the "Type-S" and the "White Water" are home brewed, they can be reproduced and sold (and are) and they can be made to exacting copies. So a block made on a drill press by hand really can't ever be duplicated exactly.

are you suggesting only having cnc'd blocks entered? or that the whole test is futile/ would be hard to get going?

even blocks made on bridgeport machines (not the CNC's ) are duplicatable (word?), but perphaps, if we are really going to try to "raise the bar" again, that it should be limited to blocks that can be mass produced?

In addition to each block paying a fee to enter, maybe the OC site
can help sponsor the contest. This is basically what we all argue
about all the time anyway. Wouldn't it be exciting to have real
life, quality data on all these? Heck if a commercial WB maker is
afraid to enter, we can buy one anyway and enter it for them. :D

As far as commercial WB makers ripping off designs, it's going to
happen anyway. You can never be barred from making and
selling your own designs.

All blocks, commercial, private, CNC'd, drilled, whatever should be
part of the contest. The only major restriction is that they must be
able to be mated to Bill's heat die.

well, this is IF he agreed to do this for US and other waterblock designers/makers.

if he isn't even considering doing this, do we have other options as far as testers go? even if it won't be as accurate (it wouldn't be) as BillA?

neomoses and I are discussing possibilities of testing, we got some pretty good ideas, we will inform later

Jon

the standard has been set at a maze3, because they're relatively inexpensive and readily available. If your block can't hang with a maze3, it probably doesn't belong in this shootout.

Last edited:
Ok heres the deal.
what we have been talking about is that both Neomoses and I do testing. One of is most likely going to be making a cpu die simulator, we got it all planned out for that.
we will be using on die diodes on 8k3a boards. inline temp probes, ambient room temp probes etc. hopefully multiple pumps.
on xp chips that is
and maybe ill stick a compunurse touching the core...

-edit- maybe a third tester, thinking about that one..

-2xedit- also, flow testing would be done, by using a set pump, and testing the GPH on them, maybe trying multiple pumps

ok, new plan, similar to old,
maybe moses and I will do testing, the top 4 or so we will let bill go nuts on:p

JFettig said:
it appears he isnt too excited..
We don't know that yet, he may want to do it, I doubt it, but maybe. I also REALLY think that only blocks that can be EXACTLY reproduced should be allowed to enter, just my .02

i say we let others in, if you have a block that kicks everything else but you made it with a dremel, i think it should enter. this isnt professional stuff, this is more fun than anything, if it cant be reproduced then someone has a nice block on their hands:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back