• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are the advantages of 1mb l2 over 512 if any?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawtrawkr

i woulda thought the prescotts 1mb of l2 woulda helped its performance compared to a 512k northwood. but even at 3.7ghz my 2.8e still doesnt get as good of performance as my 2.8c does at 3.4c

The larger cache helps in certain apps. like SETI, F@H etc. It also helps the HT system when doing lots of multitasking. But Prescott still has longer pipelines than Northwood.

Lancelot said:
The larger cache helps in certain apps. like SETI, F@H etc. It also helps the HT system when doing lots of multitasking. But Prescott still has longer pipelines than Northwood.

Bacically like that,

First you must have a program that takes advantage of cache, the old 512k half speed cache Slot 1 PIII's were faster then 256k full speed on di cache PIII's at a simular speed in SETI because, I believe, the WU's were larger then 256k but smaller then 512k, so the entire WU segment could fit ain the processor's cache and would not have to resort to much slower ram speed.

Also the prescott has longer pipelines (31 I think to the NW's 20) So the extra cache makes up for that and along with SSE3 and better HT.

hawtrawkr said:
i woulda thought the prescotts 1mb of l2 woulda helped its performance compared to a 512k northwood. but even at 3.7ghz my 2.8e still doesnt get as good of performance as my 2.8c does at 3.4c
it helps if u use procesor potencial
but if u have only for averige use u ll not feel any difference

Back