• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Curious to see how the 8c16t does on a board without VRM heatsinks, please let us know Mackerel

I tend to get shipping to the office as there is usually no one home to receive otherwise, but there is a risk in that a missed delivery is usually more of a problem to resolve (collect or redeliver) at a work address than at home as shippers behave differently.

Since I failed to cancel the other mobo pre-order in time, I can compare the Asus B350 and X370 mobos when the latter arrives next week. It would be easier if I had a 2nd CPU... but I really am running out of parts to reuse unless I start decommissioning older systems. Maybe I don't need so many i3 systems...

Throttling or magic smoke with overclocking anyone?

Maybe when OCing to 4GHz 8c16t, but that's also well past rated power draw for the socket.
FX was having issues with stock speeds on lower boards, I'll be surprised if that happens with these chips.

Which CPU is that? Let us know how OCing goes on the B350 board!

Some quick experimentation this morning and it topped off at 3.9 GHz with 1.4V core voltage. It boots into Windoes 10 at 4 GHz with a 1.425V core voltage but crashes under load.

Benches-3900.jpg

Solid results for using the Hyper T4!

From my Intel experience, it really doesn't get that hot. It only got to 70C after about 20 minutes of Prime95 and, even then, the Hyper T4 fan was only at about 1,200 RPM and was barely audible.

a cheap ssd to replace an aging pata drive (rest of hardware is from 2010 but stuck that old drive it because its all I had laying around)
a couple of fire tv sticks (kodi use with certain extensions)
and a echo dot (received as a gift)

DSC02922.JPG

I use kodi on my firestick, it really is remarkable. Gives my HTPC a run for its money and considering the difference in price it makes you think why have an HTPC. My only reason for keeping the HTPC is being able to use SmartDNS to access material in other countries, if I could figure out how to do this on the smartstick then it probably would consign the HTPC to history.

The echo dot, and that whole amazon echo thing strikes me as a little creepy, my daughters both have an echo in their homes but I just can't bring myself to get one.

I use kodi on my firestick, it really is remarkable. Gives my HTPC a run for its money and considering the difference in price it makes you think why have an HTPC. My only reason for keeping the HTPC is being able to use SmartDNS to access material in other countries, if I could figure out how to do this on the smartstick then it probably would consign the HTPC to history.

The echo dot, and that whole amazon echo thing strikes me as a little creepy, my daughters both have an echo in their homes but I just can't bring myself to get one.
I have a raspberry pi that runs kodi. And it has a cool case :) (and is overclocked, and crunches Seti in it's spare time). Only $35+case [emoji14]

I was thinking about getting a regular fire tv since it had ethernet, usb, and micro sd slot for use with kodi. I don't know how well it handles x265 HEVC though.
Thought a pi3 seems alot more powerful, and cheaper. But I need a case, and ir + receiver remote which sort of cuts the price advantage.

I was thinking about getting a regular fire tv since it had ethernet, usb, and micro sd slot for use with kodi. I don't know how well it handles x265 HEVC though.
Thought a pi3 seems alot more powerful, and cheaper. But I need a case, and ir + receiver remote which sort of cuts the price advantage.
Kodi has a phone app on Android that speaks over the network. Not sure about iPhone.

Getting away from all the new fancey Ryzen stuff, I bought a used very mini HP ProDesk 600 G1 on ebay for a measly $183 shipped. Comes with a Haswell i3, 256 GB SSD, Win 7 Pro and 8 GB DDR3-1600. Came in a box with the keyboard and mouse in like-new condition. Went for $40 to get the RAM up to 16 GB and so for under $225 I got the thing going. For sound outside of the in-box speaker, I connected up a $5 USB sound "card" I use when a server board comes without onboard sound. What I like about these things is, unlike a NUC, they use regular LGA 1150 CPUs so you can swap it out if you need/want to. Sits under the monitor, so no desk space lost that I need when doing system builds.

HP ProDesk 600 G1.jpg

Got some new tubes of paste to test out. Was supposed to be getting MX-4 but received MX-2 so will have to get that corrected and get some MX-4 as well.
8675.jpeg

Last edited:
Back