• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, sorry to everyone who liked my post, slept on it and wimped out. No hot dremel-on-case action. Decided that since I'd pretty much to tear the thing to bones no matter what I do, I'd give it a mild redemption arc before making it cry.

View attachment 361919

Did a little looking, realized the 5600Gs are going for $125 these days. Little last gen but honestly even the 2600 was sleeping most of the time, and the 5600G at least lets me drop the 1060.

With the 1060 gone I grabbed the NF-A12 to populate the second 120mm slot, should help keep air moving without adding much noise. And hopefully the NH-L9a works better with this board. Tried it originally and the only way to orient it had it partially blocked by the RAM, so even the stock HSF was better.

IMG_20230512_212017568.jpg
Uhh...Yeah. I hate the PSU that came with the case.

@#8,940 , the game works; the card was untouched, and only the package was damaged

Yesterday I moved all the stuff from Hyte Y40 to ASUS GT502. I changed the radiators to 2x 360/30mm Heatkillers with EK white 120mm fans. It's still not exactly as I wanted, but it works better than in the Hyte Y40 case and is some more space (even though the case is not so much larger). Some cables were changed too, and I still wait for white 24/8pin power cables and additional fans to fill the gap and improve the airflow as I run them at 30% speed. One quick photo.

1684071195636.jpg

And hopefully the NH-L9a works better with this board. Tried it originally and the only way to orient it had it partially blocked by the RAM, so even the stock HSF was better.

Well the NH-L9A actually works now. No stress testing, but had the board running on a desk and it didn't get above the mid 30s under mild load. Tossed it in the case and it still runs at a cool upper 30s. Quiet too. For what it's worth, the AMD Stealth cooler is a decent stock HSF but I actually have to put my ear to the case to tell if the fan on the Noctua is spinning.

Well the NH-L9A actually works now. No stress testing, but had the board running on a desk and it didn't get above the mid 30s under mild load. Tossed it in the case and it still runs at a cool upper 30s. Quiet too. For what it's worth, the AMD Stealth cooler is a decent stock HSF but I actually have to put my ear to the case to tell if the fan on the Noctua is spinning.
There were slightly better small coolers (a bit taller than NH-L9x), but most are discontinued or unavailable anywhere, so the NH-L9x seems like the best option.
I have NH-L9a-AM5 (so the same, just different mounting) on Ryzen 7600 and it's silent. No problems with new Intel CPUs too. Up to ~80W you can't really hear it with the typical ambient noises. The max speed is at about 100-110W and it's about the max TDP for this cooler. The only problem which I have in that PC is PSU as it's in In-Win Chopin, so it's not possible to replace the PSU with something really quiet.

@#8,940 , the game works; the card was untouched, and only the package was damaged

Yesterday I moved all the stuff from Hyte Y40 to ASUS GT502. I changed the radiators to 2x 360/30mm Heatkillers with EK white 120mm fans. It's still not exactly as I wanted, but it works better than in the Hyte Y40 case and is some more space (even though the case is not so much larger). Some cables were changed too, and I still wait for white 24/8pin power cables and additional fans to fill the gap and improve the airflow as I run them at 30% speed. One quick photo.

View attachment 361938
This is a nice clean build Woomack. I think white tubing would really set it off too. I was trying to figure out why it looks like something is missing. That's when I realized, I don't see a pump or reservoir. What kind of sorcery is this?

This is a nice clean build Woomack. I think white tubing would really set it off too. I was trying to figure out why it looks like something is missing. That's when I realized, I don't see a pump or reservoir. What kind of sorcery is this?

EK combo pump/res/block. I made a thread here about some issues - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...wm-d-rgb-thoughts-and-possible-issues.803646/ I fight with that for some longer. It was fine in my earlier ITX PC, but it has problems when radiators are not installed in an optimal way. It took me a lot of time to get rid of bubbles, and I was rebuilding everything because it wasn't possible in the Hyte Y40 case.

There are no white tubes in stores. I changed only fittings to titanium as it's close to radiator endings and silver heatsinks. The only white tubes have Alphacool, but the expected availability is 4-5 months. All other brands have only black or transparent. I remember some brands had soft white tubes, but everything was discontinued a while ago. Now the only white fittings are for hard tubes, and hard tubes are only silver or black.

Today arrived white power cables, so I will use them instead of black/white, and in 2-3 days, 3 more fans will arrive, so I will install them instead of the plates on the right side. I guess that's all. I have to correct something in the black/AMD rig, but not much. Probably only 3 new fans, and that's all.

At first, I wanted a vertical graphics card mount, but ASUS failed the vertical mount bracket, and as long as I use RTX4070 FE, then it's fine, but this RTX4080 is too large and it's not possible to install taller RAM. Now I think that connecting the graphics card power cable wouldn't be possible too. I could use it on the bottom of the case, but also very close to the motherboard, and then I couldn't use the radiator on the bottom. A radiator on the side is not possible when there is one on the top. Nearly every mid-tower case has the same problems.

Last edited:
I like this idea. I have a couple USB3 flash drives that will almost do SATA speeds which is pretty impressive for a drive the size of my pinky finger. But since M.2 USB enclosures are also very portable, not much reason not to for larger files or backups.

With prices where they are, it's almost a "why not" decision. A 1TB M.2 drive and a cheap enclosure will run ~$75, and 2TB will go about $100. Physically a little larger than a typical flash drive, but IMO storage capacity and speed make up for it.

Been using these (or factory made) for years.... just need to make sure you have a 20 gbps+ port and the proper cable to get the most out of these.

I went to ikea and finally got something to put my headphones on.
PXL_20230530_040253716.jpg

plus some other things that arent nearly as exciting like a door mat, some towels and a microwave thing to cover the stuff you cook in the meecrowurvay

Back