• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to expect with my new upgrades?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nuke

Registered
After researching as much as possible I have just finished ordering components to upgrade my gameing rig. I was wondering what type of performance I can expect when it is put together and I start to OC it. Also if there are any known issues you can warn me about please let me know.The components are as follows:

Alienware Cheiftec case with 430w power supply.
Intel p4 3.0ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
1gb of OCZ gold pc3700
Hercules 9700 Pro
Thermalright SP-94
Vantec 92mm Tornado
Vantec fan controler
3 80mm 30cfm intake fans
2 80mm 30cfm exhaust fans(not counting the power supply)
2 36gb Raptors in Raid 0 configuration
2 Maxtor ATA 133 120gb in RAID 0 configuration.
Pioneer AO5
LiteON 52x
Soundblaster Audigy

One more thing. Just to let everyone know this rig was orginally an Alienware Area-51 purchased a little over a year ago. No matter what you read never,never,never buy one. This thing was trouble from the start. That's why I am rebuilding it just a year later.

looks like a great system! you should be able to hit 19-20k in 3dmark overclocked.

First off,
Welcome to the Forums!!

Second, if you are planning on using the intel southbridge for that Raptor RAID 0 setup(and I hope you are), you'll need to make sure you install the newest BIOS which is version 14 now(it won't work without it. Also, if you plan on installing the OS on that Raptor RAID 0 setup(and I hope you are), make sure to unplug those IDE Drives completely during the install process of the OS. You'll be sorry if you don't, trust me.

System looks like a winner! Have fun.:)

One thing I was wondering about in particular was the 430w chieftec power supply. I don't know what the draw will be with all of the components running hard and was afraid of getting voltage variation. You think it will handle it or do I need to go to something like a Antec trupower 530w?

I went with the Intel because in addition to gameing I also use this rig for alot of Photoshop and imageing stuff. The Intel seems to handle that a little better than the AMD.

Back