• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats enough for my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So i got a problem that i didnt know was coming...

I got a
Sandisk SSD M.2 1TB inserted in M.2 32gbps slots on the motherboard

In windows boot up i cant see the SSD
In the bios i dont see the SSD either

and its already noon and haven't done !@#$

Ya man I hear of a lot of people who have had that problem. I didn't. I booted from usb, got to custom install and it was there. But I didn't go looking for it in bios I went stright to install and made sure I didn't have any other drives hooked up when I went to install Windows and it was there for to click on it and hit next. I'll try and dig around around for you and see if I can find a solution but %^&* the bios right now just boot from your windows install disc/usb go to custom install with only your m.2 hooked up and see if it is there. Maybe you have to enable it in bios idk I didn't have to because it runs off your Sata controller that's why uses sata port 0 thru 3 so by default on my motherboard I was able to use it.

You might have to update the bios. I think you can do it with the Q utility that is similar I think to my bios flashback. Just from a bios file on a usb drive. Look in your manual somewhere around pg. 32 that was pointed out earlier and see if your manual says anything about it.

About five minutes into that video I posted he will show you a section in perpherals where the nvme section is assuming you have an nvme m.2

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16738.0

Some people are saying you need to make a bootable usb and integrate drivers via gigabyte usb installation tool. :shrug:

Last edited:
Ya man I hear of a lot of people who have had that problem. I didn't. I booted from usb, got to custom install and it was there. But I didn't go looking for it in bios I went stright to install and made sure I didn't have any other drives hooked up when I went to install Windows and it was there for to click on it and hit next. I'll try and dig around around for you and see if I can find a solution but %^&* the bios right now just boot from your windows install disc/usb go to custom install with only your m.2 hooked up and see if it is there. Maybe you have to enable it in bios idk I didn't have to because it runs off your Sata controller that's why uses sata port 0 thru 3 so by default on my motherboard I was able to use it.

You might have to update the bios. I think you can do it with the Q utility that is similar I think to my bios flashback. Just from a bios file on a usb drive. Look in your manual somewhere around pg. 32 that was pointed out earlier and see if your manual says anything about it.

About five minutes into that video I posted he will show you a section in perpherals where the nvme section is assuming you have an nvme m.2

Im pretty sure i have to enable it in Bios but as usual my bios has no Advanced mod or its way different than any other bios that i have seen before. I only have this SSD M.2. I got nothing else to disconnect. its being 2 hours and still havent being able to install a simple windows because my pc cant see the M.2. basically saying my rig has no storage..
and its funny because there are tons of videos out there on how to change that settings in bios so then your pc would read it, but non of them are relative to my "Gigabyte" Z170X G7..
Gigabyte Z170X G7 - F7 firmware..

and this is exactly what i have, i cant get to find the right place to change the settings

Not going back through 11 pages, but I've had large headaches with drives that were formatted in W10 being not visible in W7 with a Giga z170 Gaming board. Windows 10 does weird stuff with drives.

Like ok, I can do everything in this video except the very first part (RAID 0) because i cant find it in bios...

I've built liquid "cooling loops" on 600+ horsepower car engines and 200+ horsepower bike engines. The laws of thermodynamics are the same for them and GPUs. That's fortunate, because a stable temp is necessary to find the limits and tune each.

In Pro Gas, Pro Mod, Pro Stock, etc.. If you intend to use anything liquid cooled for longer than a few seconds the temperature at which the loop stabilizes is the only one that matters. Period. You have X watts/kilocalories/BTUs of energy to be dissipated. You have the loop's abilities to shed Y watts/kilocalories/BTUs. The difference will be the energy measured as positive numbers via your stable temp. Other than sub ambient cooling that's the facts, Jack. You can make it take marginally longer to reach a stable temp with "efficiency" in routing, but you'll measure it in minutes at best, likely seconds. Google and 30 minutes will verify this info. I would think all the flak would have at least inspired some curiosity.

None of which has to do with the OP's SSD issues. Jumpin' Jesus. (My apologies to trents).

So would you agree that the most efficient use of a cooling loop, using this builder system would be to incorporate it as such:

mapping a cooling system in a straight line using his components:

pump/res -----> gpu -----> 360 rad -----> cpu -----> 240 rad -----> return to reservoir

or

pump/res ----> gpu -----> cpu -----> 360 or 240 rad -----> 360 or 240 rad -----> return to reservoir

his current loop however mapped in a straight line looks like such

pump/res -----> 240 rad -----> gpu -----> 360 rad -----> cpu -----> return to reservoir

the main concern of this setup is that hot fluid from the CPU is left to collect in the reservoir. Hot fluid will heat up the pump and will not have a means to dissipate it. His system will rely on pumping through a radiator placed after the pump and reservoir to cool this hot fluid. Not saying this won't work... Just stating that its less efficient. The reservoir should be cold storage. This in a nutshell has been my contention.

Anyhow, my apologies for melding to points into one post a few times. I have been using cellular device that has terrible autocorrect for posting in this. I'm not here to pit my brain against anyone else. I just have 20 plus years of computer building experience to offer. I don't seek to say the builder is not building a cool system. I only seek to express that there is a better way that's being overlooked. Placement of cooling items should be planned according to how they will provide the best benefit vs simply placing them how they will fit and running with it. In the case of this build, a chassis that was designed with water cooling in mind would have produced an easier layout to work with. However, this is the chassis he chose and never the less, it must be worked with.

Im pretty sure i have to enable it in Bios but as usual my bios has no Advanced mod or its way different than any other bios that i have seen before. I only have this SSD M.2. I got nothing else to disconnect. its being 2 hours and still havent being able to install a simple windows because my pc cant see the M.2. basically saying my rig has no storage..
and its funny because there are tons of videos out there on how to change that settings in bios so then your pc would read it, but non of them are relative to my "Gigabyte" Z170X G7..
Gigabyte Z170X G7 - F7 firmware..

and this is exactly what i have, i cant get to find the right place to change the settings

As some have already stated, M.2 and X99 don't play well sometimes. I know from experience. All I can tell you is other than looking for online tutorials, try these steps. It might differ with your board since I'm using a X99 Classified.

1. Enable UEFI. Save and restart.
2. Enable M.2 slot on MB. You also might have a CSM option to be enabled.
3. Make sure the M.2 is prioritized in boot order. Save and restart.
4. Use a Win 10 USB or CD to install on the M.2.

No matter the loop order: as soon as the system has reach its equilibrium, there is a 1-2c difference between the hottest and coldest points in the loop.

What E_D and Alaric said quite a few times already.

So unless you want to get yourself some serious headaches in the rads/blocks order for 1 degree, it doesn't really matter (and yes, if you want your point proven right, your suggested design is 1c more efficient)...

As some have already stated, M.2 and X99 don't play well sometimes. I know from experience. All I can tell you is other than looking for online tutorials, try these steps. It might differ with your board since I'm using a X99 Classified.

1. Enable UEFI. Save and restart.
2. Enable M.2 slot on MB. You also might have a CSM option to be enabled.
3. Make sure the M.2 is prioritized in boot order. Save and restart.
4. Use a Win 10 USB or CD to install on the M.2.

This is the best and only way to accomplish a boot load onto a PCIe NVME disc. I ran into this issue when I started using the Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD's. Sata based M.2 are not as tedious to load but there is a big difference between the two that should be stated. In Sata based SSD's, to include M.2, the card has a bios circuit and the means to mark a drive with a hardware based MBR. This is why these drives show up readily in the system Bios. In PCIe SSD, the drives themselves lack this ability and required a special windows partition to act as a software MBR. Without this software MBR, the disc's themselves are not bootable and will not be seen by the bios as a bootable disk.

Now, I have experience here using the SM951 M.2 on several ASUS Z97 motherboards, a gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard and on a few EVGA Z97 classified boards. Not mention on my current ASUS X99-A II motherboard. From this experience, there is an option that must be checked to put the M.2 in front of the logical boot order once the windows bootloader is loaded to it. You should check in the bios for something called hardware BBS priorities. In my Asus board, this is a drop down menu set in a different area of my my bios than the boot order; in which I have to my M.2 priority; specifically the windows bootloader partition of the M.2. This option is different than the boot order because what normally shows there is bios'd equipment: standard hard disks, DVD drives, MSATA etc. So, once the BBS priority is set to your M.2, it will appear in the logical boot order with your other devices. See if this option is available in your bios somewhere. In my Asus board, once I set the BBS priority, I don't have to mess with CSM or anything else. This is similar in practice to how I have to set up my wifes PC which has the Giga-Byte Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard in it.

Last edited:
if only a 1c difference, why watercool? Would seem liquid cooling is drastic overkill if you system only heats enough to make a 1c change across your loop. Logically speaking, if you have a rad right after a heat producer in your system, there should be a big difference in temperature between you inlet line and your outlet line. Case in point would be if your CPU is running in the neighborhood of 30 to 40c under load. This temperature should be seen on the inlet line of you radiator. The outlet line, if the radiator is significant should reduce the coolant temp by 10 to 20 degree's C and you our radiator outlet line should reflect this temp change.

Wrong: equilibrium, same temps within 1-2c in the whole loop. As Alaric said, same goes for engine cooling. Coolant in the whole loop roughly shows the same temp.

Edit: I believe quite a few members here have made this measurement (including me).

from another forum
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/188340-water-cooling-loop-temperatures/

Wrong: equilibrium, same temps within 1-2c in the whole loop. As Alaric said, same goes for engine cooling. Coolant in the whole loop roughly shows the same temp.

Edit: I believe quite a few members here have made this measurement (including me).

from another forum
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/188340-water-cooling-loop-temperatures/

What I explained was my own observation using an infrared thermometer on my own cooling loop. On the inlet loop of the waterblock, I have room temp coolant. On the outlet like of my waterblock, I have liquid that's at or just below the temp of the CPU. Going into my rad, I have CPU temp liquid on in the inlet line with a severely reduced temp on the outlet line of the radiator.

What I explained was my own observation using an infrared thermometer on my own cooling loop. On the inlet loop of the waterblock, I have room temp coolant. On the outlet like of my waterblock, I have liquid that's at or just below the temp of the CPU. Going into my rad, I have CPU temp liquid on in the inlet line with a severely reduced temp on the outlet line of the radiator.

Infrared thermometer doesn't work in this case: the solid parts of the loop are, of course, hotter near the components that heat up (heat conduction...), you need to properly measure the coolant temp with a probe.

You are not measuring the coolant temperature, but the outside components of the circuit...

Last edited:
Our friend will not be learning watercooling and other basic information from this person's build thread any longer (banned from the thread). I will get to a pc by 830 and clean the mess up.

My apologies for not getting to it sooner.. long night last night. :(

The problem is i learned whats the issue and what settings i have to change. It just i cant find it in bios

Like ok, I can do everything in this video except the very first part (RAID 0) because i cant find it in bios...

Someone plz go through this 8mins video. Thats exactly how my bios is looks like. In what part and where i can enable m.2 slots?

I dont think you need to enable the M.2 Slots...I reviewed the MPower and XPower gaming titanium and didn't have to enable a thing. I also didn't have any issues jumping through hoops with boot order. When you install W10, it installs its own UEFI bootloader. When you look under boot options, my first says UEFI Windows something or other, NOT the drive.

You are doing the M.2 drives in RAID?

I dont think you need to enable the M.2 Slots...I reviewed the MPower and XPower gaming titanium and didn't have to enable a thing. I also didn't have any issues jumping through hoops with boot order. When you install W10, it installs its own UEFI bootloader. When you look under boot options, my first says UEFI Windows something or other, NOT the drive.

You are doing the M.2 drives in RAID?

I dont even know what RAID means, But this is what I did:

1- made a flash memory bootable
2- put the windows 10 there
3- put the Rapid Storage driver (downloaded from intel) in the flash memory
4- in the windows installation windows I clicked on Load where it shows the storage to select (mine shows no storage), selected the Rapid storage driver,

after installing the Rapid driver, the m.2 storage should show up IF the settings are right in the bios but it did not show up after rapid driver installation.

I went back to bios and I could locate the "Sata Configuration" and I changed that to RAID. ( followed a video)
base on that video when you change the sata config to RAID, the M.2 Slot should show up in the bios, but mine just shows its on Raid and nothing pops up.

I know I am almost there. but im not going to lie, Im confused as h3ll, I'm just following what people are saying on youtube and here.

One thing That I know I have to get fixed in bios is "pci express bandwidth" and i have to change it from Auto to M.2 Mode. But in my bios i cant find anything like that. somehow my bios is way way different than any other bios and it doesnt have Advanced mode...
:confused::confused:

My Gigabyte Z170X G7 has two M.2 slots, one is closed to CPU and RAMS, and the other one is between two graphic cards. I have mine installed in the first one where its closed to cpu and rams, i dont know if thats matter or not

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many steps...

All I do was install device, insert windows bootable USB installer... install windows to device. Once in windows, I install chipset, me, nic, and gpu drivers. Reboot. Then I install any PCIe device drivers for the M.2 device. I don't know why they say to install it under RAID. Mine was auto/ahci I believe....
My Gigabyte Z170X G7 has two M.2 slots, one is closed to CPU and RAMS, and the other one is between two graphic cards. I have mine installed in the first one where its closed to cpu and rams, i dont know if thats matter or not
What does your manual say to install it to????

Do me a favor... 240 posts later, I really have no idea what system you have to all the confusion. Can you please create a signature which shows your system? You can do this in the User CP, then look on the left it should say signature. Not hard to find. :)

Of you go into your bios, under the peripheral tab, there should be a menu called nvme configuration. What do you see there?

Update:

Looking at your most recent pictures you appear to have a sata cord plugged into port 2 or 3. Trying moving that cord to port 5 and then see if the drive shows up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many steps...

All I do was install device, insert windows bootable USB installer... install windows to device. Once in windows, I install chipset, me, nic, and gpu drivers. Reboot. Then I install any PCIe device drivers for the M.2 device. I don't know why they say to install it under RAID. Mine was auto/ahci I believe....
What does your manual say to install it to????

Do me a favor... 240 posts later, I really have no idea what system you have to all the confusion. Can you please create a signature which shows your system? You can do this in the User CP, then look on the left it should say signature. Not hard to find. :)

Its funny that i built this Rig but cant find where i can add my signature in this forum. i have being struggling to find it lol
anyway I appreciate it if you tell me how
*Figured it out lol

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170X G7
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Sandisk SSD M.2 1TB
32 GB DDR4 3200 Gskills
1000 EVGA G2 80 gold
D5 Thermaltake Pump with 2 rads.
9 fans

Of you go into your bios, under the peripheral tab, there should be a menu called nvme configuration. What do you see there?

Update:

Looking at your most recent pictures you appear to have a sata cord plugged into port 2 or 3. Trying moving that cord to port 5 and then see if the drive shows up.

That one is for Blue Ray Dvd drive. I have no storage hooked up to my pc except the Sandisk SSD M.2 1TB

Last edited:
Back