• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats enough for my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That BD drive is still occupying the sata port which may be interfering with the m2 drive. It only takes a second to move the cord and worse that will happen is it does not help.

That BD drive is still occupying the sata port which may be interfering with the m2 drive. It only takes a second to move the cord and worse that will happen is it does not help.

You are right, I will give it a try

Its funny that i built this Rig but cant find where i can add my signature in this forum. i have being struggling to find it lol
anyway I appreciate it if you tell me how

"Forum Actions" at the top of the page, > Edit Profile> Edit Signature on the left side of that page. :)

Quick Update

Talked with Sandisk and Gigabyte, Nobody knows why my Bios wont recognize it at all. Gigabyte told me to return it and buy a samsung EVO which is 200$ more expensive lol !!!
Sandisk saying we will replace it for you...

What you all think?

Also, make sure you got the latest BIOS. Sometimes that's what it needs.

Disconnected the sata cable for blu ray ( thats the only one)
Disconnected all the usbs for thw front panel.
Tried both m.2 slots
Updated the bios to F8 (from f7). There is another recent update which is F20 but gigabyte rep told me I dont need that since its for z270s but then the bios f20 shows up on the z170x g7 motherb on their website as the most recent one

- - - Updated - - -

What the rep told me was i dont need to change anything in the bios lol which i doubt it.. But to be honest she sounded very knowledgeable so i dont kno..

So............wait... what is the problem?

Didn't you mention a few posts ago that you installed windows? Why are we still messing around with the BIOS and cables and calling Giga and Sandisk......etc?

So............wait... what is the problem?

Didn't you mention a few posts ago that you installed windows? Why are we still messing around with the BIOS and cables and calling Giga and Sandisk......etc?

Never got to install the windows. Main issue is the motgerb and windows wont recognize the ssd m.2..

I'm not even sure which M.2 SSD model you're using and how many different versions there are (PCIe or SATA) but a quick search showed that the M.2 SSD 1 TB from Sandisk is a SATA and not a PCIe version. Check your MB's manual and see which M.2 interface it should be in and if it's compatible.

If it's a sata m.2 you will have to put it in m.2 mode. Pci-e m.2 you leave at default because it uses the achi sata controller to use the chipset to convert it to pci lanes. (At least I am pretty sure this is how mine works)

Some of these (well maybe all of them) M.2 themselves have firmware. The actual M.2 may even need a firmware update.

That would be about the most terrible thing I can think of if it's a defective board that has been painted Neon Green before testing.

I had one friend with the Rampage v Ed 10 who had the same issue with a 950 Pro. He had to install windows on his 1tb (Sata) ssd then dl and install M.2 drivers then Migrate to the M.2. Then two days later he ended up dpoing a fresh install anyway and it was in the available drives to choose from in the install setup. So if worse comes to worse if you have any (Sata) drive at all you can hook up real quick to the board, throw windows on there and try what I suggested above. Idk why, he doesn't know why, but he did that and hasn't had a problem since.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure which M.2 SSD model you're using and how many different versions there are (PCIe or SATA) but a quick search showed that the M.2 SSD 1 TB from Sandisk is a SATA and not a PCIe version. Check your MB's manual and see which M.2 interface it should be in and if it's compatible.

Base on this link: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov its says:

"Dual PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connectors with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)"
so its supported then.. and I have tried both slots..
Gigabyte believes its something wrong with the SanDisk (of course!) and she recommended me to get Samsung Evo lol but then i "feel" like there is something i got to change in bios in order to get the motherb read the m.2. I feel like motherboard is not even reading the slot itself, i dont know..
SanDisk said they dont know. the only thing they can think of is if the thing is damaged or something so they asked me to return it and exchange it.
i dont really want to spend more money on buying an Evo.. I originally wanted to spend nothing more than 2k on this whole thing and its already at $3500.. and im not going to be playing on it 24/7 to be honest, maybe 2-3hr/day average
but in other hand im not trying to spend another 3 weeks going thru return, exchange, ship, delivery... and also im not trying to rush it either (blame the new resident evil and fifa 4k) :screwy::shrug:

If it's a sata m.2 you will have to put it in m.2 mode. Pci-e m.2 you leave at default because it uses the achi sata controller to use the chipset to convert it to pci lanes. (At least I am pretty sure this is how mine works)

Some of these (well maybe all of them) M.2 themselves have firmware. The actual M.2 may even need a firmware update.

That would be about the most terrible thing I can think of if it's a defective board that has been painted Neon Green before testing.

I had one friend with the Rampage v Ed 10 who had the same issue with a 950 Pro. He had to install windows on his 1tb (Sata) ssd then dl and install M.2 drivers then Migrate to the M.2. Then two days later he ended up dpoing a fresh install anyway and it was in the available drives to choose from in the install setup. So if worse comes to worse if you have any (Sata) drive at all you can hook up real quick to the board, throw windows on there and try what I suggested above. Idk why, he doesn't know why, but he did that and hasn't had a problem since.

not gonna lie, i was thinking about that method, but then i figured i have no sata ssd or even a regular hard drive.. plus i think my issue is what you pointed out exactly. i believe mine got to change to m.2 mod but gigabyte rep believed thats not the case cuz motherb should automatically reads it. beside that i cant even find it in Bios... it has no advanced mod. posted that video last page, 8 mins video shows u the entire menu i have in front of me. i cant get to find it

Last edited:

LOL
nah, i didn't paint the slots or the M.2 SSD lol a retarded like that would never close a pc like this

LOL he couldn't recognize it in bios either until he did that idk why but once he installed the driver he was able to get windows to recognize it in in Disc Management, then when choosing custom install later he was able to choose it to install on. Find a cheap 320 GB spinner on offer up for 10-20 bucks and give her a shot or go thru a few weeks of Rma and hope that works.

Once it's recognized in Windows it'll then be recognized by Windows Install Wizard from the Custom Install screen.

LOL he couldn't recognize it in bios either until he did that idk why but once he installed the driver he was able to get windows to recognize it in in Disc Management, then when choosing custom install later he was able to choose it to install on. Find a cheap 320 GB spinner on offer up for 10-20 bucks and give her a shot or go thru a few weeks of Rma and hope that works.

Once it's recognized in Windows it'll then be recognized by Windows Install Wizard from the Custom Install screen.

thats the right solution to where bios reads its slot as m.2 and u dont see the driver in windows installation. but there is now an easier solution. u format the usb with rufus software then u extract the win iso that u dl from microsoft web and then u create a new folder in that usb and give it watever name u want. then u will download and extract intel rapid storage driver from intel web into that folder. then u boot up the pc and in custom installation u select load file, and then u select the folder that u pasted intel rapid.. drivers in. and then after u select and load the intel rapi.. u will see the ssd drive

but in my case,i have to change the slot mod in bios and i cant find where i have to change it. at this moment my motherboard doesnt reads it. at least this is what i believe but gigabytes and sandisks reps r saying its the ssd. its damaged probably. this bios doesnt have advanced mode.. its one weird one that u cant find anything. very simple interface. u can look it up

Ya I suggested that earlier in a way with a link, integrating the driver into the bootable usb with the Gigabyte bootable usb utility. It's up there somewhere. I would try a newer bios if thers anything past f8 do it give it a shot I wish I was able to help more I will try and track down more real fast. I'll take a break from bf1 for ya.

Ya I suggested that earlier in a way with a link, integrating the driver into the bootable usb with the Gigabyte bootable usb utility. It's up there somewhere. I would try a newer bios if thers anything past f8 do it give it a shot I wish I was able to help more I will try and track down more real fast. I'll take a break from bf1 for ya.

not gonna lie, never being a fan of call of duty or battlefield and never played them. but bf1 got it. i have to. im more old school. counter strike 1.6 lol but bf1 definitely in 4k. not gonna be 60fps of course but thats ok

Ya man from what I'm reading from the people that have the problem you are having you need to follow those steps. Get windows installed on a cheap drive, install the m.2 drivers and new firmware and get it recognized in windows disc management then either migrate or install onto the m.2 from the custom install screen then you will see the Windows boot manger in bios. Until you at least try that method I'm not sure what else to do and it seems like nobody else does either but I have read SEVERAL cases where that's the troubleshooting method they used and got it to be recognized. First by Windows the bios via the Windows boot manager. Wish I could find more for you but this is what i read over and over again and I know someone personally who did the same thing. I got lucky I guess, my Asus Deluxe had zero problems. Booted from usb it was there installed perfect.

Back