• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which side do YOU take in this?(Creative and Daniel_K)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because if the cards start working in Vista, they won't buy the new $200 models that DO work in vista.

Because if the cards start working in Vista, they won't buy the new $200 models that DO work in vista.
x-fi still have crappy drivers under vista, they still cant fix battlefield 2142 bug :X

i might get either the asus pci-e or the prelude not sure yet

I don't have a problem with him asking for donations, he wasn't selling the product, nobody was forced into handing over cash to get drivers. I also doubt that he made great globs of cash from any of the donations.
He was basically doing what creative should have been doing for a long long time.. It just wasn't in creatives business interest to have this guy making drivers and enabling features on cards that creative had disabled in there drivers.

It just wasn't in creatives business interest to have this guy making drivers and enabling features on cards that creative had disabled in there drivers.

This is my feelings exactly.

Personally, I have not bought a sound card new from the store EVER, and Creative's purposeful lack of drivers and attitude regarding fully functioning drivers for free from someone else has me doubting that I will pick one up for either the new build or for the HTPC.

Sorry Creative but I tend to try to avoid spending my money with Companies that play stupid just to increase their revenue.

ok so what about the optimized drivers for Video cards? I have not heard about Nvidia or AMD coming out against the optimized drivers.

I am assuming that Creative didnt like the slap in the face of saying that "We cant get them working in Vista" or "we are working on it" but yet one guy in his spare time managed to do what Creative's entire driver team had not done in a year?

Just in clarification... It's two years, and even saying two years grants them some slack, because they knew about Vista before it came out. They are idiots, I wonder what their HQ in Singapore is like...

x-fi still have crappy drivers under vista, they still cant fix battlefield 2142 bug :X

i might get either the asus pci-e or the prelude not sure yet

That sounds like something up EA's alley... They are like Creative, never fix anything and their patches only sometimes work.

Did you see that Asus Xonar I posted previously?

I have my X-Fi installed in my HTPC now. It runs Vista 32bit as well.

I haven't noticed any problems or quality issues except some crackling on one of my OTA TV stations.

Am I missing something here?

And minus the fact he asked for donations I think he was doing a great thing. Too bad legal stuff always gets in the way.

ok so what about the optimized drivers for Video cards? I have not heard about Nvidia or AMD coming out against the optimized drivers.

I am assuming that Creative didnt like the slap in the face of saying that "We cant get them working in Vista" or "we are working on it" but yet one guy in his spare time managed to do what Creative's entire driver team had not done in a year?

NV and ATi might be able to do something about it if they wanted although I don't know the details of exactly what you're talking about. That's the key though, they'd have to want to stop it. I don't know that wanting to stop it in itself makes Creative entirely evil or anything but they could have had a better reaction as well.

legally it sounds like they are correct

the money is not the issue here, he could say that any and all donations are going to a non-profit fund to subsidize his efforts in editing drivers, then the personal profit line goes out the window

I think creative really shot themselves in the foot and (although technically probably right) for all intensive purposes are in the wrong. if they cannot support their product with drivers for vista and someone has proven to do it for free which they have threatened, they have just lost many customers and will really have to do some pr to bounce back from any and all enthusiast markets.

Edit: I must say this, that was really really stupid to post that in a public forums on a friday. I bet there are people trying to get ahold of people at creative to have this taken care of or the thread frozen and they are probably all unresponsive till tomorrow.

Last edited:
That sounds like something up EA's alley... They are like Creative, never fix anything and their patches only sometimes work.

Did you see that Asus Xonar I posted previously?

nope its creative and x64 with 4gb of ram or more if i leave 3gb i dont have the cracking sound in 2142 so its creative and when i use the prelude drivers by forcing it i dont get 5.1 but i get 2.1 working i dont have the sound cracking noise with my 8gb in so its deff xfi drivers, im just saving and going with either the prelude or asus card

Im with Daniel, i think Creative should hire him! I think its their problem they have crap support...at least daniel cares...cause he doesnt make all the corrupt $$ creative does.

I think the VP needs to go back to school and learn economics...and learn the phrase "Think before you speak"

Last edited:
Thus i would NOT support creative on this front, just as i won't support any company that owns something purely to keep others from using it.

Primary issue I have is that their profit is on the physical device and not on their (crappy) software. They should be grateful people like their hardware products enough to fix their buggy (crappy) software in their spare time.

I feel sorry for people who have creative stock, it's not going to come back and the company is just going to hemorage money from now on until they go bankrupt or someone buys them.

Monopolies are bad mkay.

I had nothing but problems with my audigy 2 ZS in vista, onboard sound > creative at this point imo.

Creative has been dealing with a declining need for their products for years with the advent of quality on board sound. This public relations debacle combined with their bad rep for driver support could just end up being a stake through their heart. Considering their products of recent years, I don't think it's a great loss to anyone, but their unfortunate shareholders. Fortunately, I'm not one of them, but I have my own problems, I have Toshiba stock. :eek:

Cheers! :beer:

R7

Well I guess a lot of folks here haven't read up on Creative... they sued Aureal 3D into oblivion, eating up their assets and technology only to NOT incorporate it into their products. At the time in 1998, Aureal 3D had superior 3D sound technologies than creative and Creative sued them on Patent infringement, which Aureal 3D eventually won a year later. But the process left Aureal 3D stripped for cash and then Creative bought them out. Creative has had a hold on the sound card industry way too long. We are just now seeing in the past 2-3 years or so, real competition begin in the soundcard sector. This is something that Creative absolutely hates. This competition is showing all Creative's flaws for what they are- lack of willingness to help their customers.

Personally, I hope Creative looses tons of business for this. They have had crappy drivers for a while now and still refuse to do anything about it. People should have woken up when the whole X-Fi and nForce 4 crackling issue was a hot topic. That should have showed you just how Creative held its users in contempt with their " Its the motherboard chipset's fault, not ours!" mentality and response.

The fact of the matter is that Creative voluntarily pulled itself from the NASDAQ listing as of Sept 2007. At that time, they were flirting with their lowest stock value ever. They closed at $3.58, just $0.08 above their lowest value of $3.50 in 1996. They obviously weren't committed enough to divulge all the strict reporting requirements that the NASDAQ has on its trading companies, so they got out of the American IPO markets and are strictly trading on the Singapore Exchange now. Another example of Creative's lack of commitment.

Daniel_K has done nothing wrong in my eyes. He was simply fixing what Creative refused to do and probably purposefully did. Albeit he was asking for donations, most driver modders/programmers ask for some donations. You don't hear a big stink about Omega's drivers and the donations he's received, or DNA, or Tweaksrus, do you? No. Its because of Creative's "screw you" attitude on support of the customer. If they can't make money in the process of supporting you, then they just won't. I highly doubt Daniel_K made a decent amount of money writing his drivers. In comparison to what Creative charges for its soundcards, the donations he received are nil, notta, nothing. I understand the fact that he reverse engineered Creative's IP, BUT, in my eyes, he was simply doing something that Creative themselves simply could not, would not, and refused to.

The Creative card I have in my rig right now is the last Creative card I'm buying ever again. Even in Windows XP, I still get sound crashes in BF2 for no reason. Its Prime95 stable for 12+ hours and F@H SMP stable, but for some reason, all my crashes feature a looping sound.... Hmmmmm.... Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited:
Well put, SuperDave! Two thumbs up. :thup::thup:
It emphasizes a point I continue to make here in the forum that all companies are not the same. There are good, bad and in between. Creative happens to be one of those bad ones.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

Back