• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does Windows think everything is SCSI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So yeah, why does Windows think every drive is SCSI? It's clearly not correct from where I'm standing? The intel drive is PCI-E, the Samsung is m.2 SATA, and the platters are all SATA.

From what I can gather about SCSI it's an old interface used for... err well various things. Why does Windows think this? It also thinks my DVD Drive is SCSI when it's also SATA.

(ignore epic fast benchmark)

vbbHWr4.png

Every driver is installed except some Intel Management Interface Engine shenanigans which is unnecessary

That's what I just said, the ME. I doubt it will fix it, but some applications need it to work, particularly motherboard applications and monitoring apps.

Well does Windows 10 count as an application because it gets stuck on the rotating dots screen when I install it (intel ME) XD (one of the reasons why I'm Windows 7, it also installs a bunch of background things I don't care too much for)

I saw it's for remote management or remote desktop or something according to google :L

p.s. I wonder if not installing that has to do with my voltage reads being off the wall on manual... hmmm

Last edited:
There is more to it than that... and yes that absolutely can be the reason your voltages are showing wonky. Its a communications tool for the hardware. ;)

The virtually-everything-is-SCSI, is an NT "feature"... At least since Windows 2000, if not NT 4.0...

The virtually-everything-is-SCSI, is an NT "feature"... At least since Windows 2000, if not NT 4.0...

There is more to it than that... and yes that absolutely can be the reason your voltages are showing wonky. Its a communications tool for the hardware. ;)

It's not really an issue or anything I was just curious as to why Windows thinks everything is scuzzy when some are clearly not. Also, I did install Intel MEI (the one that came on the mobo CD) and nothing changed. Didn't try manual voltage on the CPU yet though.

Last edited:
You should always install the latest version from the motherboard's website. ;)

That may be true, but, why do my devices not show as SCSI?
dvmgr.jpg

You should always install the latest version from the motherboard's website. ;)

That may be true, but, why do my devices not show as SCSI?
View attachment 182667

Well, it seems that with recent drivers that it's possible to have some stuff show up as their own type and for drives, as ATA. Except for PCI-E SSDs, which should show up as their own entry...

Well, it seems that with recent drivers that it's possible to have some stuff show up as their own type and for drives, as ATA. Except for PCI-E SSDs, which should show up as their own entry...
Then why is his showing all SCSi? That's the question here bud!

You can see my pcie ssd shows up as a 'regular' drive in the picture...

Last edited:
Then why is his showing all SCSi? That's the question here bud!

You can see my pcie ssd shows up as a 'regular' drive in the picture...

Because you have more class :rofl:
I think the OP has something installed that makes his show as SCSI.

So yeah, why does Windows think every drive is SCSI? It's clearly not correct from where I'm standing? The intel drive is PCI-E, the Samsung is m.2 SATA, and the platters are all SATA.

From what I can gather about SCSI it's an old interface used for... err well various things. Why does Windows think this? It also thinks my DVD Drive is SCSI when it's also SATA.

(ignore epic fast benchmark)

After looking at your screen shot, I noticed the icon for your Storage controllers, that's the icon for SCSI, but when you really think about it, every thing is SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface).
I don't have a MB like yours so I don't know if hardware or software is making it show like this.

SCSI.png

You know whats under the Storage Controllers with the SCSI icon?

I9xCBeX.png

A SATA controller and a PCI-E controller lmao

Back