• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X99 Classified smoked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Funny thing one week ago I fried my sabertooth x79 board . Replaced it with a second one two days later with the same cpu i7 3960x and corsair 1200ax psu it happened again. This can get pricey . Thanks for the info because I'm using the psu on an older computer till my parts come back maybe i should turn it on and off a few times.This psu ser# 12129502 seems to be the older one. Maybe the same guy did the soldering on that board too.

Wow, sorry to hear that. What are the odds that happening twice in a row? Very slim and that makes me suspect that the PSU was the culprit in your case. Call them up and tell them what happened. They should replace it with a updated version or possible pay you for the damages. I am starting to think the PSU was the culprit in my case as well even though it worked fine in my X58 setup for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Some good news has arrived.

EVGA X99 Classified - (Replaced the blownout MB)
16108531198_150b90f132_o.jpg

EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked (2GB) (x2) - (Replaced one of the two EVGA GTX 480 SCs blownout card as a result of the MB and matched the other working EVGA GTX 480 SC with a GTX 760 SC.)
16108531118_fd67fc28ab_o.jpg

Corsair AX1200i - (Replaced the original PSU that had OCP disabled by default in the old firmware with a new PSU with OCP enabled by default in the newest firmware.)

16110214527_e90a176331_o.jpg

And a Corsair Link Mini was replaced as well. Too lazy to take a pic of it.
001_tt2.gif

Things seem to be on the up side for once jack i hope there are no snags on installing these new parts, and yeah they sure look pretty enjoy my friend. :clap: :salute:

Ajay.

Wow, both companies replaced their products! Was it hassle free? And how long did it take?

Things seem to be on the up side for once jack i hope there are no snags on installing these new parts, and yeah they sure look pretty enjoy my friend. :clap: :salute:

Ajay.

Thanks, AJ. :salute:

Wow, both companies replaced their products! Was it hassle free? And how long did it take?

I guess I could say it was hassle free. The inconvenience I will say is how long everything took, which was in months. I took apart the PC in the end of sept. of last year and had the blowout in Oct. I still don't know if my CPU, RAM and other GPU were unscathed. I am finally planning to test the bare bone components today.

EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked (2GB) (x2) - (Replaced one of the two EVGA GTX 480 SCs blownout card as a result of the MB and matched the other working EVGA GTX 480 SC with a GTX 760 SC.)

^Major "props, if you will" to EVGA for this. 760 is equivalent to about 580, so you got an upgrade. Also, being thoughtful enough to replace the other 480 so you could have SLI again was quite thoughtful. I don't see why they didn't just give you a single 970 instead though. That would have been better. Probably would have worked out cheaper for EVGA too.

Ajay.

Well i shall not say i told you so Jack, i feel your "PAIN" after what has been said in the other thread about FCPU i must have placed my order just at the right time! ;) :thup:

Going in the Morning to pick it up from the Depot.

Thank you Lord! :grouphug:

Ajay.

Well i shall not say i told you so Jack, i feel your "PAIN" after what has been said in the other thread about FCPU i must have placed my order just at the right time! ;) :thup:

Going in the Morning to pick it up from the Depot.

Thank you Lord! :grouphug:

Ajay.

:fight:

Its never ending for me. lol I don't know if I should laugh or cry atm.

Last edited:
May i ask have you killed any BLACK CATS or done something to have such a bad run of luck JACK!! :attn: :shrug:

Ajay.

Last edited:
May i ask have you killed any BLACK CATS or done something to have such a bad run of luck JACK!! :attn: :shrug:

Ajay.

:rofl:

I do have a cat but she isn't black.

Actually, a long time ago (15+ years ago), we actually saw a black cat in the bowling alley's parking lot on Halloween. My friends old BMW atm had a problem starting and we needed to wait for a ride. I think something else happened after that.

I went under and across a ladder once testing out the theory and my mother took the bastketball to her head there after. Not sure if those two instances were relatable.

Yeah its just so unusual so many things happening like that one after another hmmm!

I've read through in sympathetic agony, but I don't know what's happened after 1-19!

It's like I've read a horror story, but the last page is missing! :popcorn: :popcorn:

I get the funds for an upgrade maybe once in 2 or 3 years, and I'm always nervous about this kind of result. I "build" systems for "friends" (acquaintences who realize I can help them) all the time, and I'm never concerned about their builds...and it always works! When it's my cash on the line, and I know what a hassle it would be, it just takes me through a dual sense of dred and excitement to put the thing together.

Even when they've been working hard for 2 or 3 years and something suddenly happens, I get that sinking heart feeling of dred because I depend on my machine for work.

So? Wassup at this point?

I've read through in sympathetic agony, but I don't know what's happened after 1-19!

It's like I've read a horror story, but the last page is missing! :popcorn: :popcorn:

I get the funds for an upgrade maybe once in 2 or 3 years, and I'm always nervous about this kind of result. I "build" systems for "friends" (acquaintences who realize I can help them) all the time, and I'm never concerned about their builds...and it always works! When it's my cash on the line, and I know what a hassle it would be, it just takes me through a dual sense of dred and excitement to put the thing together.

Even when they've been working hard for 2 or 3 years and something suddenly happens, I get that sinking heart feeling of dred because I depend on my machine for work.

So? Wassup at this point?

Oh, to summarize as best as I can, I had everything power on nicely to the BIOS once all the RMA's came in. Updated BIOS and had issues getting the Samsung XP941 to work as my boot drive via UEFI. Windows 7 + X99 Classified wouldn't bond together well at all. Lock ups during installation screen etc. Most folks had the same issues and had told me to go with Windows 8. I can't stand Windows 8.1 but ended up buying Windows and now it works. A couple of folks said they got Windows 7 to work with their X99 Classifieds but majority of the folks had other boards.

16366816246_b743362bde_o.png

Started doing a leak test last week and noticed a fitting that was leaking that I've been using no problem for the last few years. Tried replacing that fitting by putting up a purchase order to FCPU and than this happened.

I think I can breath now.

Oh, to summarize as best as I can, I had everything power on nicely to the BIOS once all the RMA's came in.

So the CPU survived? The RAM too?

(It's like I'm asking about the survival of characters from the end of a season cliffhanger) :clap:

Now I can make dinner!

Thanks.

I loathed moving to Windows 8.1. Get Classic Shell (free download), in case you haven't already.

CAREFUL on some of the older versions of hwinfo64 and tools like that. Seems to hang the OS. Win 8 is touchier about running older software; use the compatibility mode troubleshooter (right click from explorer - even installation exe's).

DVDFab wouldn't install on mine. Locked up...I have it in a VM anyway.

Best of.....

..best wishes...

(yikes)

So the CPU survived? The RAM too?

(It's like I'm asking about the survival of characters from the end of a season cliffhanger) :clap:

Now I can make dinner!

Thanks.

I loathed moving to Windows 8.1. Get Classic Shell (free download), in case you haven't already.

CAREFUL on some of the older versions of hwinfo64 and tools like that. Seems to hang the OS. Win 8 is touchier about running older software; use the compatibility mode troubleshooter (right click from explorer - even installation exe's).

DVDFab wouldn't install on mine. Locked up...I have it in a VM anyway.

Best of.....

..best wishes...

(yikes)

CPU and Ram did survive fortunately. Still have a GTX 780 Ckassified Hydro Copper to test since I am unable to have a proper loop now as you can see. lol

I thought about Classic Shell but I think I read that it might come with some annoying background software if I recall correctly.

I have Classic Shell, I think during install I simply deselected something, perhaps it was one of those typical free McCaffee offers, but otherwise it appears clean here.

Back