• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 results : not quite as good as I was hoping for..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

I got my new XP-90 about 4 days ago, but i didn't have internet so I couldn't post anything. This is more of a suggestion thread, but here are the results!

BEFORE (stock cooling)
System : 30c
Idle : 46c
Load : 65c

NOW (XP-90 with full blast enermax fan and as5)
System : 26c (its alot colder in my room)
Idle : 42c
Load : 57c

Judging from results OTHER people got, i was expecting a load of maybe around 45c, maybe even 50c or so, but 57c?

The fan is blowing onto the heatsink, i used about a BB size of AS5 in the middle, and it's been running nonstop (for the most part) for the last 4 days.

Anyone got any ideas why it's still so high? My mobo reads over by like 10c, but I still want it to "say" 50c load or so...because this is kind of rediculous if i only lost about 7c total.

is this with default Vcore?

your temps(63C) looked pretty high. Also, thanks for posting. I was thinking about buying a XP-90 but have been considering just replacing the stock HS fan.

No, it's with 1.55v (in bios)

Well, I did another test about 30 mins ago on prime (the results are from the night I got it), and my load is now only "51c" (so basically, it's around 39-40c for real). I guess I should have waited a while to test temps =D. The idle temp is still the same though

Npetune3000 said:
is this with default Vcore?

your temps(63C) looked pretty high. Also, thanks for posting. I was thinking about buying a XP-90 but have been considering just replacing the stock HS fan.

XP 90 is worth it. Big time. :)
It dropped temps from my SLK-947U, by about 5C. (more if I have it sucking air). All temps with case open.

archilochus said:
Thermal cycling is recommended for the AS 5 to align itself...Turn rig off, let cool to ambient room temp ...Restart..

I honestly dont know that, will try that today :) im glad im in the forums :)

I ordered an XP-90 the other day, shoulde be here tomorrow. Ill tel you my results

btw, my temps are case/cpu 29/32 :) from 37/39 using vantec aeroflow :)

DamienKC said:
Anyone got any ideas why it's still so high? My mobo reads over by like 10c, but I still want it to "say" 50c load or so...because this is kind of rediculous if i only lost about 7c total.

You lost 8C on the load.

Things to try.

Thermal cycling.
Remount.
Fan with more CFM.

no i didn't lap it, i hear it's not very good for them (90 and 120 version).

I'll remount tomorrow

I honestly dont know that, will try that today im glad im in the forums

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Source link: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

**"break-in" period = when 1st applied...

DamienKC said:
no i didn't lap it, i hear it's not very good for them (90 and 120 version).

I'll remount tomorrow

I lapped my XP-120 and got rid of the nickel base as well as made the base perfectly flat. If you look at the pics you can see the concave that the base had when I got it.

JustStarting.JPG

Getting_there.JPG

AlmostDone.JPG

FinishedLap.JPG

The temps dropped about 1 to 2 C

The bare copper against the CPU die is a much better conductor of heat then nickel plating.

Up to you though.

Never again will I install a heatsink without lapping it first. My XP120 was so warped it barely spread the little blob of AS5. After lapping I was able to reduce my vcore from 1.625 - 1.575V, while keeping the same overclock.
Its an excellent heatsink. Great performance even with a super quiet fan.

Back