• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 results : not quite as good as I was hoping for..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well i just got my xp-90 (yesterday) and im not very pleased but hopefully its just its not settled in yet. My pold temps were idle around 48 and load around 63 (stock heatsink)....Now they are idle 46 and load 59.....Whats up with that? I didnt have any as5 so i couldnt use that. I had to use some white crap that came with my vga silencer....I did a nice thin even layer on the heatsink and cpu. I dont know if i can re-do it thoughh just because i dont have much left.... Do you guys think its the thermal paste or what? I just have a 80mm fan on it that i had laying around. You think i should get a new fan?

Do you guys think its the thermal paste or what? I just have a 80mm fan on it that i had laying around. You think i should get a new fan?

Yes..:)

Arctic Silver 5 is optimized for use between modern high-power CPUs and high performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions. It is available in a convenient 3.5 gram syringe,

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/arcticsilver5.html

Specifications: 92x92x25mm, 68.8 CFM @ 3450 RPM, 43.0 dBA, 5.16w, 430 mA, 12v DC, 3 pin Panaflo Tail to 3-pin Molex connector. Note our current stock of this model does not have a tachometer output.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa92ulhisp.html

PLOBBY said:
Well i just got my xp-90 (yesterday) and im not very pleased but hopefully its just its not settled in yet. My pold temps were idle around 48 and load around 63 (stock heatsink)....Now they are idle 46 and load 59.....Whats up with that? I didnt have any as5 so i couldnt use that. I had to use some white crap that came with my vga silencer....I did a nice thin even layer on the heatsink and cpu. I dont know if i can re-do it thoughh just because i dont have much left.... Do you guys think its the thermal paste or what? I just have a 80mm fan on it that i had laying around. You think i should get a new fan?

All thermal pastes will lower the temps with time.
They settle into the tiny valleys and imperfections and thus will lower your temps.

But AS5 will give you much lower temps than the white stuff.

Well my AS5 has definitely settled in on my XP-90. Using a P4 EE, (during the test, @ 3.81 ghz,. 1.60v)

Had a stress test with UT2004+UT2003 this afternoon, with the IC7 max3, which reports load temps 13C too high, and around 1 PM (when I started the matches), temps slowly rose and then stabilized around first, 35 C case, 55C CPU, 35C PWN, and then 35C/56C/35.5C.

I then left for 2 hours (To go to the bank, and then to vote), came back, and my room was -very- warm at this time, with the sun's heat coming in through the window on the west (there are blinds up, but some heat still gets through), plus the heat the system is putting off,

And, despite my room feeling warm (it felt like it was (at least) close to 85F (dont know F to C, sorry), after 2 1/2 hours of the UT2003+UT2k4 botmatches, the temps read: case: 36 C, CPU 56-56.5C PWM 37C. And no crashes :) I then closed the games down.

I was pretty impressed with how well the XP-90 was working... with my room that warm, it would have probably had 57.5C-58.5C with a fresh AS5 application, so that temp drop (2C) is very nice to have.

The AS5 probably has caused a bigger drop, but the warm ambient temps are probably skewing the results a bit.

Back