• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd phenom ii 970 be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Manny, I have this board... It's a 4+2. Asus even says it is 4+2... Could explain the vdroop. Also, the board has meh LLC controls. On/off/auto despite the in bios description saying otherwise. It works, but the OP's experience has mimiced my own. Ugly voltage solutions (too much via LLC or too much vcore to compensate for meh LLC controls). I can pretty much say with confidence that the OP would have better results with a m5a99x pro or better due to the 6+2vrm section.

Ultimately, OP, just be aware your board is probably being stressed pretty hard at this point. Mine took me beating on it with my 955BE for 3+ years, but as always, YMMV.

For example CaddiDaddi did a moonshot on this board (or the R2.0 version) which resulted in the death of a 965BE iirc.

Either way, nice work on the OC! :)

Great insight on the MB thank you. I have already had this system for 3.5 years so I am not too concerned with longevity. I am just trying to squeeze whatever performance I can get before having to upgrade.

I tried it at 4.1ghz last night and had it running stable for about 3 hours it did not get over 55C* so i let it run and it reset somewhere in the next couple hours.

I was able to lower my ram timings to 9-9-9-24-40 @1600 but any lower i cant get the system to boot.

I also had a successful run at 2800 cpu-nb for 5+ hours. My question is, is that overkill or is it worth having the cpu-nb as high as i can get it?

I was able to lower my ram timings to 9-9-9-24-40 @1600 but any lower i cant get the system to boot.

I also had a successful run at 2800 cpu-nb for 5+ hours. My question is, is that overkill or is it worth having the cpu-nb as high as i can get it?
Depends on what you're doing with it, if benching yes in most cases you'll see an increase in performance with the Nb freq turned up. For everyday computing, unless you're rendering or doing large calculations in most cases you'll never notice the difference.

Wn
Depends on what you're doing with it, if benching yes in most cases you'll see an increase in performance with the Nb freq turned up. For everyday computing, unless you're rendering or doing large calculations in most cases you'll never notice the difference.

I use it exclusively for gaming and watching tv/movies while gaming. Currently World of Warcraft, Borderlands 2 and battlefields 4. Battlefields is the one that gives me the most grief.

Well see if you notice any difference while play if it helps there isn't any reason not to leave it there. What kind of voltage you giving it to get there?

Well see if you notice any difference while play if it helps there isn't any reason not to leave it there. What kind of voltage you giving it to get there?

I had it at 1.3625 for the CPU-NB at 2800mhz.

Changing the ram timings helped alot, I'm not sure if they are perfect but much better than they were.

Watch for random reboots at unexpected times when you aren't loading the machine much.

Watch for random reboots at unexpected times when you aren't loading the machine much.

Would the cause of that be the CPU-NB frequency or my ram timings?

I used it last night for a few hours and didnt have any reboots.

Currently World of Warcraft, Borderlands 2 and battlefields 4. Battlefields is the one that gives me the most grief.

World of Warcraft and Borderlands 2 shouldn't give you any grief even at highest settings at 1080p, wife plays them with a FX-4300 and MSI 660 Ti at stock and they run fine ?

Either or. The ram interfaces with the cpunb so problems at either section could behave the same symptom wise.

So far no problems with the cpu-nb or ram timings causing any restarts.

There is still one thing that is off to me. On my second monitor I usually watch a movie/tv. While gaming the video sometimes gets blurry and I have to reload. It did not do that prior to me changing the graphics card. I was running an EVGA 550ti and I had a slight OC from the FSB that i was running at 3.8ghz.

Have you tried changing the GPU back to the original? That would differentiate between it being a CPU or a GPU issue, though the work in decoding streaming video is done mostly by the CPU.

Have you tried changing the GPU back to the original? That would differentiate between it being a CPU or a GPU issue, though the work in decoding streaming video is done mostly by the CPU.

No I haven't tried the old one. The old one was a evga 550ti the new one is a gtx 960 its quite a bit more powerful i cant imagine the card would be the issue.

Here is a picture of my cpu usage while watching tv and playing battlefield. It seems like when my usage goes up the stream on the other monitor gets fuzzy.

bf capture.PNG

Last edited:
So you're playing Battlefield and watching TV at the same time? I'm speculating the Cpu is having a tough time keeping up with the more powerful Gpu as opposed to the 550 ti.

So you're playing Battlefield and watching TV at the same time? I'm speculating the Cpu is having a tough time keeping up with the more powerful Gpu as opposed to the 550 ti.

Yes, i was able to do it on low settings with the other card without too many issues.

I am going to try the old card again tomorrow and see if it runs better.

Last edited:
Yes, i was able to do it on low settings with the other card without too many issues.

There's more issues then blurred video + restart ?

Edit : apologies not restart, reloads.

Last edited:
What I'm speculating is the cpu is having a hard time keeping up with the game and video running at the same time, even with the Oc. If you didn't have 16g of ram that is where I'd be pointing but, it doesn't seem to be the issue.

What I'm speculating is the cpu is having a hard time keeping up with the game and video running at the same time, even with the Oc. If you didn't have 16g of ram that is where I'd be pointing but, it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Well this is embarrassing... I only hve 8 GB of Ram I dont know why I typed 2x in front if it. Possibly because i stole the layout from Trents :) and just typed the model in.

Last edited:
Back