• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd phenom ii 970 be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if you still have the volatge set a 1.48125 Cpu V and look at Hwmonitor in Post #38 you're getting some pretty good voltage droop. The goal with the LLC is to have it compensate for the voltage droop without overshooting the set voltage by too much. If you adjust the Cpu LLC to where the voltage stays closer to the set voltage. You may find you'll be able to lower the set Cpu Voltage because when you were running prime the Highest your Voltage went was 1.476 V lowest 1.44 v. Some where in between is what you'll likely need to get it stable at 4.0 again, though it will take some playing around to find stability again.

Excellent, now if you want start working on the Nb Freq, same theory applies. Raise Nb freq to 2400 run blend, pass raise NB freq again, fail add Cpu Nb V till it passes while watching temps.

Successful 4 hour plus at 2400 cpu-nb, i did increase my cpu-nb up .01. Should my next move be to increase the cpu-nb again?
prime 4h plus.PNG

I find the sweet spot for my 955 be is 2600 on the Nb freq so I would say yes.

I am about 1 hour 20 minutes into 2600 cpu/nb and so far so good. I did have a fail and had to increase to 1.3v cpu/nb. The temp has been fine max is 53* and remains fairly steady at 51*.

My CPU vcore still hangs around 1.44 during most of the testing, should i be concerned about that?

****update**** it failed somewhere between 1 hour 40 minutes and 2 hours. I came back down and my pc had restarted. i will increase the cpu/nb voltage to 1.31 and re run.

****update2*** started getting warnings at about 25 minutes in. Increasing cpu nb voltage to 1.32 and restarting

Last edited:
Ok, you may have a chip that just doesn't like having the Nb freq at 2600 but only testing will tell.

As far as the voltage that goes back to the LLC. That a lot of V Droop but it's stable as is at 4.0 with the Nb freq at 2400, you can try to find the best setting that keeps the voltage closer to where it's set in the BIOS. You may find if you do adjust it you can lower the set voltage in the BIOS.
You may also want to read this guide directly from AMD there is also recommended "safe" voltages on I believe page 19.
View attachment AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

My guess is having the RAM at 1600 mhz is now the cause of failing Prime. Try putting the RAM back to 1333 or at least relax the primary timings. Those Thuban core CPUs often were not quite stable when running RAM at 1600 mhz.

My guess is having the RAM at 1600 mhz is now the cause of failing Prime. Try putting the RAM back to 1333 or at least relax the primary timings. Those Thuban core CPUs often were not quite stable when running RAM at 1600 mhz.
He already passed 4 hours with the ram there with the Nb Freq at 2400 Mr T. Though, raising the NB Freq to 2600 with the ram at 1600 could be putting too much stress on the IMC and causing to be unstable.

I will read through the guide while the tests are running. I looked at page 19 it seems like my voltages are fine according to the sheet.

I have have never messed with the LLC, if it is set to auto do I set it to enable or disable?

The test has been running for almost an hour at 2600 cpu nb frequency with the increased voltage, temps are still fine 52*C currently and no errors.

- - - Updated - - -

He already passed 4 hours with the ram there with the Nb Freq at 2400 Mr T. Though, raising the NB Freq to 2600 with the ram at 1600 could be putting too much stress on the IMC and causing to be unstable.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's still a system and the various components affect one another. He's already bumped the CPU/NB voltage up pretty high and it could be getting too much for that component on this piece of silicon.

Just hit the 2 hour mark and no errors. Max temp was 53*C.

What is your recommendation for where to go next?

You have a few of choices:

See if you can get the LLC to compensate for the voltage droop a little better, this may entail reworking the set Cpu voltage though.
See if maybe you can get the timings on the Ram a little tighter maybe they'll do 9-10-9?
Leave it be and call it good?

What I missed was post #48 where you had started a new stress test after that small bump in CPU/NB voltage. I think our posts crossed on the net.

So, are you still at 4.0 ghz for the CPU? These threads can get pretty drawn out and it's easy to lose track.

What I missed was post #48 where you had started a new stress test after that small bump in CPU/NB voltage. I think our posts crossed on the net.

So, are you still at 4.0 ghz for the CPU? These threads can get pretty drawn out and it's easy to lose track.

9.30.PNG 9.30a.PNG
Please let me know if you would like to see any of the bios settings.
Thanks again.

So i just noticed something in the bios that I dont understand. i have typed in 1.49v and to the right it shows 1.476 which is similar to what cpu z is showing as well for my voltage. I dont know what this means.

CPUV.PNG

Last edited:
If you look back at post #17 i posted a picture of the bios and it looks the same. I have 1.48 entered and it shows 1.46

Currently whatever i type into the manual part it stays at 1.476

If you look back at post #17 i posted a picture of the bios and it looks the same. I have 1.48 entered and it shows 1.46

Currently whatever i type into the manual part it stays at 1.476
A few things we need at this point. Please create a signature such as myself, Blue and Mr T have. It helps us know what exactly is in the setup without having to go back to the first post. Second I'd like to know the exact motherboard you have, I know it's a M5A97 but would like to know exactly what we're dealing with.

As far as the drop in Voltage I'm with Mr T, that it's V Droop. Like I posted previously you may be able to take care of this with the LLC. Additionally you may want to put spot fans on the VRM section of the board. I have a M5A99X Evo board and on my board the Nb heatsink gets really hot.

Back