• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it dead? i cant belive it happend to me, please help! i'm not sure if its dead,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fog

Registered
is it dead? i cant belive it happend to me, please help! i'm not sure if its dead,

damn, i got my wbk38 today and rusht to install it, btw-i dont know how about you guys, but i recived the wbk38 heatsink with a freaking hair driyer on it!,
anyway, after i install it, system wont post, damm that clip mayb crackt my chip?? althou i cant see any craks in it!
i tryd the usual stuff like clearing cmos and stuff, still no post, i thought its because i mest alll of my artic silver2 on my chip, so i washt it, and dryd it, still no post!

how can i tell if its dead? maybe i F***t up my a7v133 somehow? please help people!!!!

Check your CPU in a different motherboard if you can. Also, check a different (working) CPU in your motherboard and be very careful when you're installing it. If your CPU doesn't work in a friends' computer, and a working CPU works in your motherboard, then yeah, you killed your CPU. Those Globalwin clips can kinda be nasty - I avoid taking my FOP32 off like the plague. If a dead CPU is the case, you have my condolences. But frankly, I would be more worried about your motherboard, but I dont think you have a dead motherboard on your hands unless you scratched the traces or something when you were installing your HSF.

SickBoy

thanx for reply,

unfortenatly all my freinds are stupid intel gay lovers, so i cant test it, and it will cost me 15$ to test it in store,
actuly i puted it the first time it workt, then i removed the heatsink to do the pencil trick, then when i reisntalld it, it wouldnt post,
actuly i was very carefull, so i dont think my motherboard fried or som

I hate the clips on those. I killed my 700 with it. No signs of any physical damage. I can only put it down to INTERNAL crushing.

damm, so i think i propobly crakt it :(
i'm gonna rma it, and then, i'm gonna try to use my stock heatsink's "clip" instead with the one that came with the wbk38,

what do you overclockrz think of that?

what kind of motherboard do you have?

make sure your RAM is in the motherboard enough

I have a Iwill ka-266-r and nothing would post and thin someone told me that the board is bad and you need to push the memory in REALY hard so I did and it works=]

hope this helps.........

coolme! (Apr 27, 2001 01:40 p.m.):
thanx for reply,

unfortenatly all my freinds are stupid intel gay lovers, so i cant test it, and it will cost me 15$ to test it in store,
actuly i puted it the first time it workt, then i removed the heatsink to do the pencil trick, then when i reisntalld it, it wouldnt post,
actuly i was very carefull, so i dont think my motherboard fried or som

UN-do the pencil trick... who knows, might be able to keep your new gadget...

like i said, i washt the hole chip!!
tryd to remove the memory couple of times, and pci cards, still nothing,

AGP card can often be a culprit as well... if I were you, the $15 to test it in the store would be worth it, as opposed to X hundred dollars to replace it. I'm lucky enough to have 7 friends here at school with socket A systems.... :)

SickBoy

try using pilers(however u spell that word) to install the fan....i did....but it was very dangerious.....i almost stab the mobo hard with it.....by accident of course.......and i m still using the original clip.......although the clip has too much tension....i first tried to install without any tools but i pushed so hard and the clip won't even touch the socket.....so i got pissed and tried pilers....that worked for me

I don't know about you guys, but I think the GlobalWin heatsinks are just about the easiest heatsinks out there to install-- you just have to do it right! ;-)

Don't use pliers or anything like that, just use a standard screwdriver (phillips or flat head, it doesn't matter). Set your computer on its side so that you are looking down onto the heatsink. Then attach the back of the clip. Next, use the screw driver to push down on the CLIP. Yes, the clip itself, not the actual attachment thing at the end. While pushing down on the clip with the screwdriver, use your other hand to attach the holder over the socket lug.

I've never had a problem attaching my heatsink this way. I've never come close to crushing or damaging anything, and I've taken my heatsink of A LOT!

BTW, it sounds to me like you just did a bad pencil job (if you crushed the core, it should be pretty obvious). Erase the pencil, and see if it posts up. If it does, then np! If not, then try another working CPU in the board to reset everything, and then try the stubborn CPU again after that.

take the board out of the cpu, lay it on a piece of foam covered with antistatic sheet on a flat surface and use a flathead screwdriver to put the heatsink on- this is by far the absolute safest way to put one of those things on

Back