• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greatest Game of all time and Most Underrated game ;Your nominations needed:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleboy77

I thought that with the popularity of the worst game thread we should have one of these.

This is not for flame wars just nominations, you may discuss the greatness/underrattedness of games but don't flame ppl for their nominations.
OC Noob said:
A few ground rules:

1) you must have played said game(s)

2) this is inclusive of all console, Handheld (nintendo, sony, sega or system like lynxx/zodiac/N-gage/anything mainstream) and PC games (no cell phone, flash, etc. games)

3)(didnt apply to this thread)

4) if its very old or obscure feel free to give a little info on it

5) feel free to tell us why you voted the way you did

6) remeber if you vote ET you must have played it

Thats about it. I'd really, really like to find out what the consensus here is on these, so have at it and thanks.

format

1) greatest game
2) most underrated

~My vote~

greatest - Half-Life 2
underrated - Clive Barker's Undying

Greatest Arcade -Baby Pac Man. It was a video game Pinball hybrid machine... LOVED IT!!!

Greatest Console - Tie- The GTA 3 series (GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas) and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (not part II, it kind of sucked).

Greatest PC-- The Leisure Suit Larry series

Most Underated --All the 2K series sports games. These games are far better than their EA counterparts yet EA still gets all the press.

Greatest game ever...I am going to have to say Diablo II, coupled with the LoD expansion. That game was my life for who knows how long. I don't really know about underrated. I guess maybe Super Mario Bros. 2....I really liked that one, but it's kind of treated like the "bad kid" in the Mario family.

Quake 3 Arena must be up there as possibily the best game ever as it revolutionised online gaming and even though it was released in 1999 it is still popular which must be evidence of how good this game is.
How many games do you know that people are still playing that are as old ?

half-life came out in 1998...and cs is still the only good online game that is played everywhere

I thought rainbow six was really good, but it seems like I'm the only one

Last edited:
Greatest game...Final Fantasy 3...maybe it's just all the nostalgia, but I loved it.

Underated game...Rainbow six/ghost recon series. They're popular but not really the smash hit they deserve.

This is a good topic, because there are so many great underrated games out there.

I flip-flop on the greatest every now and then, but as fo right now my vote goes to:

Super Mario Bros.

Most underrated (this is much tougher):

Adventure for the Atari 2600

While severly limited by technology, its was the first console action-rpg with a free roaming world, interactive items a semi-plot/real end game in a time when twitch gaming was to overwhelming norm.

Although its certainly not the first dungeon crawler, it deserves to be a household name and a AAA franchise right now rather than a cult classic/footnote in gaming.

e.g. if Link ever was a single pixel he was in Adventure as I can see its influence in early Zelda games as well as action-rpgs today.

Greatest: Red Alert 2
Underrated: Tribes: Vengeance (Seemed like a great game, but died out very quickly?)

whitebloodcell said:
best game, Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. + Expansions. Just started playing it again. No strategy game has ever come close to its brilliance IMO.
Blah! I've completly forgotten about that game, as much as I like starcraft, Red Alert 2 wins in its complexity :p

Last edited:
Greatest..too many to list...

Most underrated..Eve Online...its the learning curve that scares alot of people but man, the playerbase must be one of the most friendly and mature of all current online games. They definetly deserve more attention for a game that offers such a broad variety of play styles.

Greatest would be Secret of Mana, FF3/6 (depending on what you want to call it) or the Fallout Series.

The most underrated...tough call. There's a lot of good games out there that aren't/wern't really popular.

shadowfire1 said:
greatest: final fantasy 7(ps)
underrated quest64(n64)

i'm kind of an n64 enthusiast, and i must say quest wasnt underrated, it sucks. Not only could you not save on the cart but there was almost nothing to the game. Random spawn enemies, no inventory beyond the stuff you pick up(usable items only, no equip), no money, nothing... the game i love, but it's far far from the most underrated.

Personally there are so many i can't say. however i will go for
SNES- Secret of mana
N64- Hybrid Heaven
and some others... lol

Back