• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greatest Game of all time and Most Underrated game ;Your nominations needed:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
UnseenMenace said:
Quake 3 Arena must be up there as possibily the best game ever as it revolutionised online gaming and even though it was released in 1999 it is still popular which must be evidence of how good this game is.
How many games do you know that people are still playing that are as old ?

I agree with you, Quake III is still used for tournament play to this date, it has more than proved it can stand the test of time. Aside from the tournament aspect of the game, Quake III offers flexibility to mappers and modders alike so that each may implement their own ideas into the game whether it be in the from of a map,model,skin,mod, etc...

(If you want to see the full beauty of Quake III maps, check out http://worldofpadman.com he is one of the most noted mappers for Quake III Arena.

Greatest~ The Sims 2

Most Underrated~ Laura's Happy Adventures. Amazing and jaw-dropping graphics for it's time!

Greatest Game- Half Life 2, I think was better than the first one.
Most Underrated - CounterStrike, there is utterly no game I have logged more hours on (and I was cal-m, back when it counted!)

UnseenMenace said:
Quake 3 Arena must be up there as possibily the best game ever as it revolutionised online gaming and even though it was released in 1999 it is still popular which must be evidence of how good this game is.
How many games do you know that people are still playing that are as old ?

I got one Starcraft/Broodwar (and it's older 1998) as already mentioned. There is still 10,000+ people when you log onto B.net. I think this has to be one of the top IF not the top PC game of all times.

Most underated: Final Fantasy II (Final Fantast IV) for snes, my most favorite rpg of all times. I like the story line and how it plays out, especially for such an old game.

Greatest game : Xenogears(not xenosaga)
most underrated:Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel(pc)

FT:BOS was a great game but was put down becouse it was made before fallout 3. It had great graphics for a turn bace game, great story, great game play(combat, charater creation/ leveling).

I cant just mention one, they are too close IMO.
Best Games ever:
Total Annihilation (!)
Warcraft II (!)
Starcraft / Brood War
Command & Conquer (the original)

most underrated: Total Annihilation

agreed that the Greatest of all time is Starcraft

a purely single player, solitary experience, got to give it to Chrono Trigger

both were pure gaming ecstasy at the highest order. Starcraft with the perfect battle system and balance and eternal replay value takes the crown. Chrono Trigger the first time around was game heaven.

outstanding :beer:

hmmmm...

Operation flashpoint: Cold war chrisis, -i only ever really played multiplayer, but loved it, at the time of its release nothing matched OP for realism and playability (especially with the patches installed), HUGE maps, able to drive/fly vehicles, enter buildings, great AI, i would still be playing it now if i hadn't warn out my cd! :(

none of my friends had ever heard of it or wanted to play it because of the the slightly dated graphics... the only reason i bought it was cos i couldn't afford ghost recon!

best game ever: Ultimate doom, i remember being an 8 yr old kid staring out into the vast mountainous ranges of mars believing i had truely been transported to another world... *nostalgia*:drool:

I'm going to vote by series

Best: Half Life series (too hard to decided which is better, the second is definitely awesome in it's story telling, acting, sound, visuals, physics, etc etc etc... But HL1 also had great story telling, great visuals, for the time (I remember playing it on my Voodoo2 card and thinking it was absolutely beautiful), it was an awesome game.

And underrated. I'm not sure how underrated these games are, but I never hear of people playing them, and I loved them.

The Theif Series.

It was hard choosing between HL and Quake (especially Quake 2, which for me was one of the best games ever, the multiplayer held me for years. And then Action Quake 2 kept me for much longer. I think if people still played it, I'd be playing too :)

Back