• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T and 790FX-GD70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

Anyone using an MSI 790FX-GD70 and a 1090 or 1100T ?
I have heard many horror stories about this chip burning up the power phases on these boards.
On the other hand, I have heard from plenty of people getting these chips to 4+ghz without issue?

Anyone care to share there experiences?

The way I see it, my 965 is rated at 125W, and the 1090 is rated at 125W so there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Well, so far so good with my 1090. This chip is awesome, reached 3.9 and 2.6nb on stock volts. 4.0 took 1.375. Runs cool as a cucumber, with a +14*C offset on coretemp.
Booted into windows easily at 4.3 with 1.45 volts and did some benchmarking.

My question now is, what is a safe temp for my VRMs? Right now the square things under the Dr Mos heatsink are sitting at 77*C when Im running intel burn test. They back down into the 50's at idle. I have fans screwed onto the dr mos heatsink, so hopefully that will help.

Whoa! :eek: That's pretty warm even for MOSFETs and doubly so if you've got some active cooling going on. It's no wonder others have burned out their boards. What are you using to measure that?

Nice clocks, though! :thup:

infared thermometer.
From what I can remember the mosfet temps on my 4890's were well into the 100's, but perhaps they are made to tolerate a higher temp?

I have the same board and have not had any problems with overclocking so far. It hits a "wall", so to speak, around the 4.0-4.2 ghz area from my testing(I have a 1055t). To get any higher you need a lot more voltage on everything, so much voltage that it is not worth it to run 24/7 on those settings.

From what I can remember the mosfet temps on my 4890's were well into the 100's, but perhaps they are made to tolerate a higher temp?
Don't know - I'm just going by my past experience, though I admit my newest board is getting a little old, now. I've never had (motherboard) MOSFETs that were hot to the touch as 70°C most surely is. A little warm maybe (50-55°C?) but not hot.

Those newer MSI chips are there own thing, anyway. Dr. MOS is not the standard chip with a different name, it's MSI only, so my experience (or anybody's if it's not newer MSI) may not count for much.

I had a 790FX GD70 and found it worked very well with the 1090T. Was able to easily get up to 4200GHZ though trying to push it that extra little bit to 4300 wasn't a good idea and something on the board didn't like it ...... The board is now dead.

LOL too high voltage and power draw probably caused the VRMs to burn up. Thats what I am afraid of. Trying very hard to stay content at 4.0ghz

Back