• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700x help (cache failure, high latency, etc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You pretty much have to use 2 and 4 on this platform. I don't think it's a board thing either, getting 4 sticks stable at higher speeds on Ryzen takes some works. If I have time I'll pull the timings from my 3200 set and post them here. You have that higher speed RAM which could be throwing off some timings

Since you are using Samsung you might want to give this tool a try. Should get you a good starting point https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...tor-ryzena-1-4-0-1-overclocking-dram-am4.html

Last edited:
You pretty much have to use 2 and 4 on this platform. I don't think it's a board thing either, getting 4 sticks stable at higher speeds on Ryzen takes some works. If I have time I'll pull the timings from my 3200 set and post them here. You have that higher speed RAM which could be throwing off some timings

Yeah that's pretty disappointing to me. I'll probably just run the 4 at slower speeds since at times my memory usage approaches 20GB... I did however get the computer to boot at 2933-14-14-14-34 with the "unoptimized" slots.

Just for fun I threw in the 3200 CL 14 G.Skills that I have in those two "unoptimized" slots and I'm stuck at that same 2933MHz limitation. What's funny is the system boots and seems to run fine at 2933 but if I do 3000 it won't even boot regardless of timings.

Well I can't get any of the sticks (old or new b-die) to boot over 2933MHz in the two slots. I'm back on 4 sticks at [email protected] and will test it overnight. If it's stable then I'll be fine with that. After that I will try some ocing...

That makes me think board thing even more now. Bios support for memory speed/stability is the thing most frequently updated for by most manufacturers lately.

Yeah I'm on the latest bios from MSI. I mean the G.Skill 3200MHz CL14 ram should be the thing for Ryzen but it doesn't like it in those slots either. In the others it works just fine. I dunno if it's a MB thing or a CPU thing but it's annoying, lol. Too bad MicroCenter was out of Asrock X470 Taichi boards when I was there getting this CPU.

Don't feel horrible about AMD and picky boards / cpu / memory things. Pretty common. Here's an example....
Ryzen 1400 with A320 (non oc chipset) runs memory over 1500Mhz. My Ryzen 2700X can only pull of 1333Mhz on a B450M-A oc chipset board.
Fancy stuff. So the B450 is newer and I still wait for a bios update for better memory supportage.
Both systems are running 3000Mhz Corsair vengence CL15s. I'd have to look a little closer, but believe they have the same timing JEDEC and XMP packages too.

If that was my system and everything else ran fine, I'd just straight ignore AIDA64 guessing the cpu has a cache error lol......

If the system doesn't blue screen at clear cmos or set system defaults, I wouldn't worry about it. You are running the system beyond it's intentions.....

The occasional BOSD was what prompted me to run AIDA64 to test for stability. Prior to that it was 12 hour prime95 small FFT and 4 hour blend stable. The cache is the only thing that had errors. Still odd that the memory was "stable" in AIDA64 and lots of SuperPi testing. Oh well I think I should be good to go now. I'm not sure what you mean by running the system beyond it's intentions?

Well when you post a stock configuration, that was set up as factory specified running parameters. No alterations needed.

When you take anything off of "auto", you may as well consider that overclocking and potential to break warranty agreements.

Ah yes, the occasional random blue screen. I've seen 7 day Prime95 blend tests pass, but fail in gaming.

So who's idea of stable do we believe in? The factor parameters or somebody's Prime95 run for 6 hours?

I'd say test with stock parameters for your daily usage. If you have a random bluescreen, then you would have a real issue that would need to be addressed.
I've had 2 random BSODs when encoding videos.

This. try it stock just to be sure you have a stable system.

Hah I mean the memory is "stock" 4000MHz so in all reality I'm running it lower than "stock". The only thing I've touched are memory and SO voltage to try to get it stable. I'm not sure what you're getting at still. My idea of stable is 30 days without a BSOD for any reason, a mark I've hit with all of my builds prior to this one. So far this AMD system is my least sable system since probably the Barton days...

So tell me what stock settings are for this and I can try it, but after all I did buy a 1700x, x470, and Samsung B.Die memory... And I'm pretty sure I didn't break any "warranty agreements" by putting the system together, lol.

System Memory System Memory Specification
2667MHz
System Memory Type
DDR4
Memory Channels

And you can find the specs for that here.

Never has AMD suggested to run 4000 kits.

Your motherboard supports .

1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667 Mhz by JEDEC, and 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 Mhz by A-XMP OC MODE

Which can be found here.

So I bet when you clear cmos, you'll be booting @ 2667. In fact mine too, and everyone elses..... Stock.

AMD doesn't support user overclocking.

Oh and from here.
55931 Rev. 1.0 March 2, 2017 AMD Ryzen Processor Overclocking User’s Guide
Guidance Terms and Conditions 7
Chapter 1 Guidance Terms and Conditions
This AMD Ryzen Processor and AMD Ryzen Master User Guide (“Guidance”) and the AMD
Ryzen Master application (“AMD Ryzen Master”) are provided subject to the following terms and
conditions:
 The Guidance in no way modifies, alters or supersedes AMD’s officially published specifications
for any AMD product (the “Specifications”).
 Operation of an AMD product outside of the Specifications or outside of factory settings, including
but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of the Guidance), may result in
damage to an AMD product and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to, damage to
the AMD product-based computer system components (e.g. the motherboard and components
thereon); system instabilities (e.g. data loss and corrupted images); reduction in system
performance; shortened product, system component and/or system life; and in extreme cases, total
unrecoverable system failure.
 AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD product
outside of the Specifications or outside of factory settings and Recipient assumes any and all
liability and risk associated with such usage
, including by providing motherboards or other
components that facilitate or allow usage outside of the Specifications or factory settings.
 THE GUIDANCE IS PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THOSE ARISING FROM CUSTOM OR TRADE. AMD DOES NOT
WARRANT, GUARANTEE, OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS AS TO THE
CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF THE GUIDANCE (INCLUDING THE
PERFORMANCE OF THE AMD PRODUCT) AND MAY MODIFY, AMEND, DELETE OR
RETRACT THE GUIDANCE AT ANY TIME. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY
LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL AMD BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY
DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS OR OTHER
INCIDENTIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHICH MAY ARISE OUT OF OR
RELATE TO THE GUIDANCE.

From AMD's OC guide none the less.... Warranty voided ^

lol

That's quite the cute post. So what you're saying is don't buy AMD because they suck? All your quote says is that AMD is not responsible for damages, my warranty isn't voided by trying to run memory at less than its rated speed. I haven't damaged my AMD CPU, it simply sucks from the factory. Stock it tries to boot my memory at 2400MHz with two or four sticks. Please go post on NON-OCforums.com or something if you don't feel like being helpful. Oh by the way, 4 sticks is still dual channel...

It should be said that overclocking an Intel CPU also technically voids the warranty. That doesn't mean in either case the CPU can't be overclocked. And that's what we do here.

That's quite the cute post. So what you're saying is don't buy AMD because they suck? All your quote says is that AMD is not responsible for damages, my warranty isn't voided by trying to run memory at less than its rated speed. I haven't damaged my AMD CPU, it simply sucks from the factory. Stock it tries to boot my memory at 2400MHz with two or four sticks. Please go post on NON-OCforums.com or something if you don't feel like being helpful. Oh by the way, 4 sticks is still dual channel...

The real issue is some dude is using a single benchmark to determine that his cpu is bad.

There is no helping you.

A big part of the problem IMO is trying to run memory that's no where near supported on this platform. You'd stand a much better chance taking that kit you have for sale at 3200 CL14 and working with it.

The real issue is some dude is using a single benchmark to determine that his cpu is bad.

There is no helping you.

Please tell me where I said my CPU is "Bad." I've said it's crap and that I've lost the silicon lotto. I'm sorry you don't have faith that a stability test is truly for stability, it also wouldn't pass realbench stress tests if that makes you feel better. This CPU was NOT stable at 3200MHz. I've only been working on computers for 20 years or so though (both as a hobbyist and professionally).

A big part of the problem IMO is trying to run memory that's no where near supported on this platform. You'd stand a much better chance taking that kit you have for sale at 3200 CL14 and working with it.

I did put the 3200MHz G.Skill in there and had the exact same results with those two slots. It's either the board or the CPU that doesn't like them. It ran AIDA64 cache/memory tests for 10.5 hours without erroring at 2933MHz so I guess I'll call it good.

Could just be some settings in the board, if it has it you can try changing the ProcODT to 53 or 48 this sometimes helps

Please tell me where I said my CPU is "Bad." I've said it's crap and that I've lost the silicon lotto. I'm sorry you don't have faith that a stability test is truly for stability, it also wouldn't pass realbench stress tests if that makes you feel better. This CPU was NOT stable at 3200MHz. I've only been working on computers for 20 years or so though (both as a hobbyist and professionally).

I did put the 3200MHz G.Skill in there and had the exact same results with those two slots. It's either the board or the CPU that doesn't like them. It ran AIDA64 cache/memory tests for 10.5 hours without erroring at 2933MHz so I guess I'll call it good.

Crap... Bad... Whatever.

I call bull**** it wasnt stable at 3.2ghz. Also call bull**** it tries to post stock 2400mhz also.
:bs:

Crap... Bad... Whatever.

I call bull**** it wasnt stable at 3.2ghz. Also call bull**** it tries to post stock 2400mhz also.

Lol you're questioning me on the fact that the system wasn't stable with the ram at 3200MHz? It also posts at 2400MHz or do you need me to show you a video or something.
Get out of here, you've instantly become the most annoying person to me on these forums, and I've only been here 9 years longer than you...

Crap... Bad... Whatever.

SB,

Couldn't you be a little more diplomatic about your reply? CustomGT isn't exactly a rookie on this stuff.

Relax guys, can we restate our thoughts a little?

Back