• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX-6300 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghost P.

Registered
System setup:

Case: QS-8815C Handle PC case
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
CPU: AMD FX-6300 OC'd
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 OC'd
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 HyperX 1333MHz OC'd
PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 500W
HDD: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 32MB 7200rpm
CD Reader: HT-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bios settings:
CPU unlock - disabled
C1E state - disabled
Core 6 state - disabled
Cool 'n' quiet - disabled
Turbo boost - disabled
HPC - enabled
APM - enabled
SVM - enabled

4.4Ghz
FSB - 200mhz
Multiplier - 22X
Voltage - 1.375v
LLC - Medium

4.4.png

4.5Ghz
FSB - 200mhz
Multiplier - 22.50X
Voltage - 1.406v
LLC - Medium

4.5.png

4.6Ghz
FSB - 200mhz
Multiplier - 23X
Voltage - 1.456v
LLC - Medium

4.6 + gpu.png

Last edited:
Disable C1E, Core c6 state, and cool and Quiet.

Us Prime 95 for stress testing instead of AIDA. Post up picture of your CPU-z main, spd, and memory tabs as well as hardware monitor.

Disable Turbo mode also.

And don't rely on AIDA for establishing max temps or stability of the overclock. It's a wimpy stress tester. Use Prime95 blend mode. If your system will pass two hours of that then it's a stable overclock.

Thanks, I will use Prime95 to stress test. Which cpu voltages are safe for 24/7 running?

Also, should i enable or disable APM, HPC and SVM in the motherboard settings?

Last edited:
Your voltages will be fine, your cooling is going to run out long before you reach a dangerous voltage level. I would also suggest you leave APM and HPC enabled, HPC prevents some throttling but doesn't work unless APM is left on auto. Also set your turbo to the same level as your overclock. Not sure if this board does it but Some Giga boards will do an odd double boot if you don't. SVM doesn't really matter where you set it.

Your voltages will be fine, your cooling is going to run out long before you reach a dangerous voltage level. I would also suggest you leave APM and HPC enabled, HPC prevents some throttling but doesn't work unless APM is left on auto. Also set your turbo to the same level as your overclock. Not sure if this board does it but Some Giga boards will do an odd double boot if you don't. SVM doesn't really matter where you set it.

Thanks, I will enable these. I was wondering why the double boot thing happened, i guess i will try to fix it.

Here are my bios settings, tell me if something is not the way you explained: C7Re7Sm.png

Here is a 1 hour stress test with prime 95 with cpu voltage at 1.425v. I didn't get any errors but I don't like how high the voltage is. I will try 1.40625v or 1.41v, cause I remember I got an error with 1.4v. xCY6yVO.png

Last edited:
Ghost,

We much prefer that you attach images directly with your posts rather than link them. To attach an image to a post, just use the Go Advanced button and find then find the paperclip tool. Please crop the images to eliminate unnecessary screen real estate. This makes the images larger and easier to read. You can attach several images per post if necessary and add more by using the Edit feature. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for cropping and capturing images.

Oh, sorry about that. Note taken.

As i recalled correctly, 1.4 gave me an error and I upped the voltage to 1.41. Stress tested for an hour without errors. How are the temperatures looking? I'm not too sure about the voltage though, can 1.41v hurt my motherboard or CPU in any way, like decreasing lifetime?

Minimum temparature is 55C because I opened CPU-ID a little before I took the screenshot.

Untitled.png

Your max core voltage under load is 1.368. That's still pretty low. You might want to play around with LLC to supplement the core voltage under load.

Also, I note you are only using the multiplier for overclocking. We generally get better results when we use a combination of the multiplier and the FSB.

Your max core voltage under load is 1.368. That's still pretty low. You might want to play around with LLC to supplement the core voltage under load.

Also, I note you are only using the multiplier for overclocking. We generally get better results when we use a combination of the multiplier and the FSB.

It seems that when Prime95 is running its stuck at 1.36, but after I stopped the stress testing it went up to 1.404

LLC is set to auto.
1.png

Hey, I may be able to assist a little here with your voltage as I just built an fx-8310 + ud3P setup. When overclocking, I found that LLC worked best when set to "medium". It would give the voltage a minor boost, but wouldn't go hog wild on it. I was able to dial in a stable voltage from there a lot easier than leaving LLC at it's default setting (which would boost voltage WAY too much and cause a rapid rise in heat).

I decreased the multiplier to 20.50 and changed the FSB to 215, my current temp dropped to 52-53. What is a sweet spot for FSB for achieving 4.4-4.5Ghz?

Also, @rescuetoaster I will try that, thank you.

I decreased the multiplier to 20.50 and changed the FSB to 215, my current temp dropped to 52-53. What is a sweet spot for FSB for achieving 4.4-4.5Ghz?

Also, @rescuetoaster I will try that, thank you.
That really depends on your parts Ghost P, some CPUs really like it and others don't seem to. My 9370 I run typically around 270 but my 8320 doesn't co-operate so much and usually stays quite low.

I tried changing the LLC to medium and it bumped my cpu voltage to be around 1.4 constantly. My temperatures got higher and were around 58-60 while running prime95, which is no bueno.

So you can now drop the V_Core to 1.37 in BIOS and it should hold that under load now.

So you can now drop the V_Core to 1.37 in BIOS and it should hold that under load now.

Aha! Now It looks better. Didn't think of that honestly.

FSB: 216Mhz
Multiplier: 20.50
Core voltage: 1.375
LLC: Medium
Temperatures under load are between 55-59C
I also set my fan speed control to voltage instead of auto.

Will post 1hr stress test later or tomorrow. You guys helped a lot. Thank you, everyone.

Last edited:
That's why we hang out here. Good luck Ghost!

One last thing:

Profile 1: 210 FSB, 21X, 4.4Ghz
Profile 2: 200 FSB, 22X, 4.4Ghz

Which one should I use constantly If I am getting the same kind of temperatures?

I'd use the first one since it'll give a slight bump to the ram and CPU_NB.

Back