• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX-6300 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your HDD was really in no danger, just the rising temp on it is a good indication of poor air circulation in the case. Moving it up might actually take away from the air getting to your cooler. Is there a fan in the front of that case?

There are no additional fans on the case. Only the cooler, psu and gpu fans. At least now the sound coming from the HDD is more dull and feels more silent.

There is an open slot on the front of the case for a floppy where air could get in and above it is the hdd.

Last edited:
I switched my hdd place, it was located on the bottom, now I've moved it at the top. The bottom part really felt hotter than the middle/top part. It's right next to the EVO 212.
I don't know what you meant by saying "the contact between the cpu and the heat sink is OPTIMAL". There's thermal paste under the cooler, which came in the box.

I will try stress testing with my left panel open tomorrow.

Sometimes the thermal paste is not spread evenly across the contact area. Sometimes the cooler mounting screws are not tightened evenly in the sense of an "X" tightening pattern, going back and forth between the four screws tightening each one a little at time. This can cause the thermal paste to squeeze out to one side or the other. Sometimes other components (like memory modoles) get caught under the heat sink fin stack and keep the cooler from seating properly. Various things. We've seen it all.

It's really hard to get any info at all on that case, is there any place you could put a fan, Is there one mounted in the back at least for exhaust?

I'll open it again tomorrow since It's late here and will take a picture of the left panel removed.

So what should I do? Remove the cooler and screw it again? More thermal paste? There's a bit left in the tube and was wondering if i should use it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot I took one before moving the hdd.

100_6545.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, dude there is no exhaust fan on the rear panel of the case! No wonder some of your temps are high. There's a place for a fan right behind the CPU cooler. Why didn't you put one there? Is there one in the bottom of the front panel? Here's a diagram of how case ventilation should be, in general terms at least:

Attachments

• case_air_flow.jpg
    case_air_flow.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 932
This is how the front of the case looks like. The red square is the floppy hole which I was talking about.

Also, I still keep my stock cooler that came with the CPU. Should I put the small fan at the back If I can screw it to the case, or should I just buy 1 or 2 120mm fans(If possible I will get cooler master ones). And I am not too sure about putting a fan at the front since the case is solid and the front panel can't be removed without unscrewing it.

As for the top, there is just no empty place to screw a fan there.

I did remove the whole cooler and applied what was left of cooler master's thermal paste(which was like a 1/4 of the whole tube) and tightened it as much as I can.

Please excuse the monster sticker.

100_6546.JPG

Be careful with paste if you get way too much it can cause issues as well. Personally I'd still put a fan on the front and one in the bak , full size fans. Any air it can get in and push out will be an improvement

Get a fan for that rear panel that has some bite to it. You need all the ventilation help you can get.

And it sounds like you should redo the thermal paste. Clean the old off both the cooler base and the CPU with paper coffee filters (they leave little or no lint). Finish the clean with a filter moistened withe some 90% isopropyl alcohol. Let surfaces dry thoroughly and then place a no bigger than pea sized blob of TIM in the center of the CPU lid. Carefully lower the cooler onto the CPU and start tightening the screws in an "X" pattern a little at a time. Don't try to spread the TIM before you place the cooler. The pressure of the mount will spread the blob between the two flat surfaces. This is the proper way. It avoids air bubbles and contamination with skin oils.

I got 2 120mm case fans running at different speeds.

Back one is at 1200 RPM blue 'Raidmax' cooling fan. Front one is a 1600 RPM 'Spire' cooling fan.
My HDD is right behind the front fan.

I didn't know the running speeds of the fans, because they weren't written on the box. Should I put the Spire 1600RPM one at the back?

1.png

Last edited:
Have you tried it out yet? It might work fine but it does have more to do with CFM and pressure than speed.

It was more expensive than the spire one and the person that sold it to me said that it'd be better if i put it on the back.

Oh well, I'm gonna keep it that way.

100_6553.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have any model numbers? Those fans may not be spinning at full speed.

From what I can tell it probably isn't going to matter a whole lot, it's not easy finding any info o the raidmax fans . Just give it a shot , it has to be an improvement over what you had.

Back