• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II OC - Advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frizzer

I've read the Dolk's Guide that is by the way great.
But before I start tweak again I'de like if someone can look at my settings that are oc'ed already but something escape me because when in games like GTA V or CS after some minutes the system crashes and reboot, and tell me if is something wrong or that may be changed.

My system
Asus M4A89GTD Pro
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz (2x4gb)
ATI HD6850 1Gb

IMG_20151026_003910[1].jpg IMG_20151026_003849[1].jpg

Welcome to the Forums Frizzer.

First what cooler are you using to OC the CPU?
Your motherboard looks more than capable to OC that chip so no worries there.

Since you are looking of stability while gaming I would recommend downloading the free versions of Prime95 and HWMonitor so we can stress your system while monitoring temps and voltages. Also download Free CPU-Z.

Reset your system to stock settings and run P95 for about 20 minutes with HWMonitor and CPU-z open to monitor things. Then post a screen shot like the one below. This will help determine how much headroom you have to work with.

P.S. the image is a little dated but still relevant

screen shot OCF.jpg

Welcome Frizzer, a few questions. What have you used to stress test the OC? What are you cooling the chip with? Post up screen shots of Hwmonitor after you run 20 minutes of prime blend as well as the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory.

:snipe: by Blaylock

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm using the cooler master hyper TX3.
I forgot to mention that the temp ingame never passed the 55ºC @3900mhz.
I didn't test with prime while oc'ed. With default yes and was stable.

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm using the cooler master hyper TX3.
I forgot to mention that the temp ingame never passed the 55ºC @3900mhz.
I didn't test with prime while oc'ed. With default yes and was stable.
55c from which sensor, Socket or Core? 55c while gaming is getting a bit warm, these PII chips will sometimes get a bit wonky around that temp. I imagine if you're getting to 55c while gaming prime is going to blow it sky high. Most here will not consider an Oc stable unless it can pass 2 hours of Prime blend. In order to really have a peek under the hood so to speak, we still need to see the screen shots asked above.

To add to Mandrake's post also large voltage peaks and valleys can cause instability along with ram timings etc.

Also verify that your TX3 fan is running at full speed. It's not a great cooler but might be ok for a minor OC. The Standard "budget" cooler that we recommend is generally the Coolermaster 212 EVO. You can see from this review that your cooler runs about 5C warmer. Likely because its smaller with a smaller fan. Obviously the larger the heatsink with more heat pipes and increased air flow produces better cooling.

a quick way to test the cpu clock is to reduce the cpu ratio a good bit and retry.
we need to know about your psu also.

55c from which sensor, Socket or Core? 55c while gaming is getting a bit warm, these PII chips will sometimes get a bit wonky around that temp. I imagine if you're getting to 55c while gaming prime is going to blow it sky high. Most here will not consider an Oc stable unless it can pass 2 hours of Prime blend. In order to really have a peek under the hood so to speak, we still need to see the screen shots asked above.

As you asked I've run prime95 and was stable as you can see.
cpu_z_cpu.JPG cpu_z_mem.JPG cpu_z_spd.JPG hardwmonit.JPG

What you can say me?

What you can say me?

Would desire better cooling. With current cooler 3.6ghz would be pushing the thermal limits if you're not already.

where's your region?

shrimps, what do you think about lowering his cpu/nb voltage, it's at 2000 clock, back to default and using that heat overhead for the cpu core?

I thought 2000 was stock for Phenom. Or was it 1800? Either way no extra volts should be needed for NB or HT at low NB HT clocks. (Keep stock volts ** 1.1v)

The cooler is 3 heat pipes. OP claims 55c during gaming. At a full load it would be heat soaked in no time.

The values are all default.
I'm in europe.
Maybe i'll try to buy a watercooling for the cpu. But for the time i'de like to put some oc on this if possible.

just try setting your cpu/nb voltage back to something like 1.1, or at least back to auto.
the cpu/nb is on the cpu and this voltage will add heat to your cpu.

yea, I see what you mean, it's a 92mm, a 212 evo or all in one water is his better bet.

Back