• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cooler for LGA 2011 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SaY

Planning to upgrade to i7-3960x next week, or as soon as cpu/mb are available in the US.
What would be the best cooler to order? Noctua NH-D14? Anything else available with better performance?

Well as this will be a 6-core / 12 thread CPU you will need a beefy cooler to take it to say above 4.5 ghz i'd say, to get the most effective I would recommend a water cooled setup

Hold off on the D14 until Noctua ships the NH-D14 SE2011. It will not only have the 2011 bracket but PWM fans as well.

The other good cooler is the Silver Arrow. It has PWM fans but you'll want to wait for the 2011 brackets as well.

Until one of those coolers ships you can use the stock cooler.

s2011 is the same physical setup as s1366... I heard its just a bit different in that the holes are threaded.

You mean Intel came out with yet another mount pattern for LGA2011? That is just freaking stupid!:mad:

How does it differ from LGA1366?

IIRC it has quad-channel memory, and that requires more leads in the socket. At least that's what I read.

Now that I think about it. That may be the explanation for why Intel went from LGA1366 to LGA1156: triple channel to dual channel memory.

Have you seen the 2011 CPUs? They are huge compared to 1366.

As an aside, I think somebody (preferably with wisdom) should develop a form factor for CPU heatsink mounts - it's only four holes for crying out loud, and is it really necessary to move them around a few millimeters every time a new platform comes out? :D

Hold off on the D14 until Noctua ships the NH-D14 SE2011. It will not only have the 2011 bracket but PWM fans as well.

The other good cooler is the Silver Arrow. It has PWM fans but you'll want to wait for the 2011 brackets as well.

Until one of those coolers ships you can use the stock cooler.

Unfortunately the chip doesn't ship with a stock cooler.

Although now according to the review the mount pattern is the same as 1366, only difference is that it has threads that may/may not work with the cooler in question.

Back