• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2 - A real dissapointment!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

I wanted to get BF2 for awhile now and from what I heard it was very good and considering how much I loved BF1942 I went out and got BF2.

Don't care for it that much. Where did the fun go in this game? It's pretty frustrating. You can quickly find yourself in a loop of death when it comes to just spawning. Spawn.. die.. spawn... die.. spawn ... die.. ect.. Okay that I can deal with but, where did the neat stuff go like the C-130 (in bf1942 we had a bomber) we had different kind of planes like bombers, torpedo's, and attack planes.. Where did the battleships go? Where did the submarines go? i miss being able to take cars/trucks in desert combat.. That was fun :).

I miss being able to fly along the enemy air carrier with my plane and pick up a ton of kills =).. Oh and some of the vehicle collisions are total crap in this game (i.e unfun). Even with desert combat the Black hawk was a challenge to fly. Oh was funny I got into a humvee last nite and I could barely make it up a hill on the road.

Ahh, well guess I just miss the old game being more fun. This feels more like rainbow6 with vehicles..

Same here, I miss the anti infantry guns that the pilot could shoot from in the helicopters

I miss cruise missles

I miss artillery for everyone, it was awesome back when you could just spot with binocs and call in artillery from the boat or nearby rocket truck

I miss how hard the helicopters were to fly, because once you could fly them they were so menuverable

I agree BF2 is missing things out of Desert combat, an even 1942

This game is more team oriented than 1942 was. I love the changes they made in gameplay with the squads, and orders that can be given/received. I don't have much fun by myself, but when my friend and I play at the same time its a BLAST!

I hated 1942 because, IMO, it felt like a tank/plane-fest. DC was cool, but the physics and FPS portion were still clunky.

They seem to have taken the emphasis off vehicles, and fixed up the FPS portion. I only play a select few of the maps though. (Sharqi ftw!)

Atari said:
I wanted to get BF2 for awhile now and from what I heard it was very good and considering how much I loved BF1942 I went out and got BF2.

Don't care for it that much. Where did the fun go in this game? It's pretty frustrating. You can quickly find yourself in a loop of death when it comes to just spawning. Spawn.. die.. spawn... die.. spawn ... die.. ect.. Okay that I can deal with but, where did the neat stuff go like the C-130 (in bf1942 we had a bomber) we had different kind of planes like bombers, torpedo's, and attack planes.. Where did the battleships go? Where did the submarines go? i miss being able to take cars/trucks in desert combat.. That was fun :).

I miss being able to fly along the enemy air carrier with my plane and pick up a ton of kills =).. Oh and some of the vehicle collisions are total crap in this game (i.e unfun). Even with desert combat the Black hawk was a challenge to fly. Oh was funny I got into a humvee last nite and I could barely make it up a hill on the road.

Ahh, well guess I just miss the old game being more fun. This feels more like rainbow6 with vehicles..
They tried to turn it into a more infantry based game. Too bad it takes 0 skill to be good at infantry in this game, though. Actually, the only thing I would say that takes any amount of skill is piloting a helicopter correctly.

No armor only maps, no air only maps, no infantry only maps, no water battles, lame artillery. What happened? They ruined BF.

It used to be somewhat better pre-1.03, but i agree the whole thing feels unfinished. But this is what we have mods for. I think i pointed out two good looking mods in a thread awhile ago, DCON and POE.

One thing you have to remember is the Battlefield: 1942 was pretty much remakes of famous battles from World War II. So they knew what kind of vehicles to give each side, and approximately how many. In Battlefield 2, they really have nothing to go on. The most recent real war that the US participated in is the current Gulf War. Before that was the Gulf War from the early 90's, and after that was Vietnam (and there already is a BF:Vietnam). There are no real famous battles that have gone down in history, like from World War II.

Oni said:
One thing you have to remember is the Battlefield: 1942 was pretty much remakes of famous battles from World War II. So they knew what kind of vehicles to give each side, and approximately how many. In Battlefield 2, they really have nothing to go on. The most recent real war that the US participated in is the current Gulf War. Before that was the Gulf War from the early 90's, and after that was Vietnam (and there already is a BF:Vietnam). There are no real famous battles that have gone down in history, like from World War II.
it should be fairly obvious how to balance the vehicles properly even without a real war to work from.

Oni said:

so my wuestion is why didnt they also base of european wars and stuff
azian whatever
can you only play as a american?
cause i might get it tomorrow

i want to play as a brit thats what i like over bf2 you can play as brit russian japanese american german italian

you have more fun like that
i do know that you can play as sas (like my dad:) ) and spetsnas and alot more kinds of special forces which i love

Last edited:
BF2 is okay but it gets old FAST, little reply value. In the first few months I had BF2 i was totaly addicted. One week I had 90+ hours of BF2 in, now I get maybe 1 hour a week.

Sounds to me like you miss all the cheats and free loading way of play in BF42. Skill goes a long way in any game. Low ping is the real key to BF2 and being able to have a positive kill/death ratio is better than dying over and over just to get a flag point. They went with asia vs america because in case you dont read or watch the news it possible that it could be a future theatre of war. The Ex pack coming out should have brits in and night maps.Oh and if you want the large scale maps you have to play the 64 man servers. BF42 didnt have weapons to be unlocked when you gain a new rank just the same old crap.I'll take my M95 sniper rifle,I can shoot down a chopper with it. I enjoy hammering opponents from afar with my G3 assault rifle. You can still call for an artt strike if you u know how.

Oni said:

Korean War???

mage, he's referring to the original poster's reference to spawn bombing / camping the carrier in bf1942.

however, he also complains about being spawn camped in bf2.... obviously an issue of the shoe being on the other foot, i would say

koontz946 said:
mage, he's referring to the original poster's reference to spawn bombing / camping the carrier in bf1942.
yeah, spawn bombing+camping=cheating right?

I miss all the empty space in the maps of 1942 and DC,I mean yeah there were plags, but the maps had tons of extra space, for for flying planes around or trying to sneak in the back way. Yes you can set the maps to 64 person size, but there just not the same as maps like bocage

I also miss No Fly Zone, that was a fun map, I liked a lot of the orginal 1942 maps as well, they were a ton of fun to play on, the BF2 maps just arnt as good imo

and there should be more boats than just the carriers, I want battleships with big artillery guns of doom on tem and Cruise missles back

Back