• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar A770E and Phenom II x4 945 OC possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

networkproblems

I just ordered a Biostar a770e mobo (newegg link) and a Phenom II 945 3.0 ghz x4 (newegg link) and was wondering if any amount of overclocking is possible with the lack of mosfet heatsinks. I downloaded the user manual while waiting for it in the mail and was unable to find any FSB setting, so this may keep me from being able to OC my not unlocked cpu.

3.0 ghz X 4 is enough for me, so I don't necessarily have to overclock, but I would like to tinker with it if recommeneded.

Other specs of my build for Tuesday:
Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (for lots of airflow)
BIOSTAR A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
8GB of cheap DDR2 800 (ripped from my Lenovo K230)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
XFX 5770 1GB
640 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Blue Ed.
1 TB Samsung 5400 RPM

FSB is a term that is incorrectly applied to AMD CPUs in the last few years, but is still commonly used. AMD now refers to the system bus as the "HT Reference". And as redduc900 explained, it is alluded to in most bioses these days as "CPU frequency".

Mosfet heat sinks are always a good idea when overclocking but probably not essential except with heavy duty overclocking as long as you have good case air flow.

Last edited:
Get some aftermarket heat sinks off of Newegg. They run about 10 bucks. You should be able to get up to 3.4 with no issues. I probably wouldn't go much farther. But that 945 is a C3 so that helps. My unlocked 545 runs at 3.37 with no issues at stock voltage. Temps are all very good. Just keep the box clean (free of dust). It's when you start raising voltages that the lack of VRM cooling really comes into play.

Here's a link to those heat sinks but I know that the Egg has them as well...

http://www.tilatech.com/products/En...-Mosfet-Heatsink-Multi%2dPack-(10-Piece).html

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably get one of the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler since it's only $22.99 today with promo code EMCYTZT82. However, this cooler might be overkill (but better than not enough cooling). Also will buy the mosfet heatsinks if needed. I didn't know there was such a thing. Everyone here is very helpful :)

With that cooler you should be able to overclock to ~3.4 if you desire. We are all glad to help but thanks for expressing your appreciation.

Networkproblems the AC Freezer 64 Pro does a descent job and keeps my 955BE at 3.4 around 52C (fan at full speed) at 100% load and 24C ambient. If you want a better cooler for a bit more you may want to check into the Enzotech Extreme-X Rev.A, I have this on another 955BE and it gives me about 5C cooler temps. running at 3/4 speed under 100% load, I bought the additional mount and would recommend it also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708046

Last edited:
Well I found the Corsair H50 mini water cooler for $60 at my local Bestbuy if ordered online, so I just grabbed it instead. Hopefully it will work with my motherboard since the CPU is extremely close the the RAM slot. If not, I might be buying a different mobo. Any thoughts on this?

Also, should I use Arctic Silver 5 on my H50, or is the included paste good enough?

Last edited:
The H50 is a good choice and at $60 is a bargain. You should like it. :)

On the TIM question I'd use the TIM that's there. I doubt Corsair skimped on that ...

Well, I finally got a chance to play around with my build. The H50 does a good job of cooling. At stock 3.0 ghz I'm idling at 22-23 C and peaking at 30-31 C.

Since it's my first time overclocking, I'm doing it very gradually. My mobo wouldn't boot at 260 frequency, so I dropped down to a conservative 240 and have been gradually raising the multi from 12.5. Once raised to 13.5 (3240Mhz), I got an error on prime95 after 5 minutes, so I set the CPU over voltage to +0.05 (or was it 0.5?) per Dolks guide. That seemed to do the trick; I've been running prime95 for about 15 minutes with no errors. Temps are 27C idle, 40C highest so far.

Also I set my 800mhz memory to the 667 limit so it runs at 800 with the 240 frequency. This was easiest since manually setting the timings confused me.

Any tips on how much higher I can safely go without wasting too much electricity?

Every CPU is different so it's hard to say how far yours will go. Personally I wouldn't raise the vCore any farther without putting some heatsinks on your power chips (that's the line of small chips between the CPU and rear ports). Once you start pushing any power through those they can heat up quickly and without good cooling you could easily blow one out ...

Every CPU is different so it's hard to say how far yours will go. Personally I wouldn't raise the vCore any farther without putting some heatsinks on your power chips (that's the line of small chips between the CPU and rear ports). Once you start pushing any power through those they can heat up quickly and without good cooling you could easily blow one out ...

Ok, those are called mosfets, right? I'll go ahead and order some of the mosfet heatsinks that were discussed earlier.

I got it up to a stable 3.3ghz before I checked the thread, but going back to stock until I get the heatsinks. Right now I'm wishing that I bought one of biostar's quality boards like the TA890FXE with the power heatsinks built in or at least one with a higher TDP than 95W. Live and learn

I have the A770E, as well, as a holdover until I start building my new ones in a few months here.

Voltages, I've found, are pretty limited with this board. I've gotten a stable 235HTT on mine thus far (with an X3 710), and it's absolutely stable, but I'm going to bump it up a bit again I think. I still haven't found the HTT cap, but max voltage for the CPU is quite low - much lower than one may need to get above the 3.4-3.5GHz range...

Back