• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a whole PC, like to have some advice as well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well the overclocker in me only sees a 6300 and 6600 out of all the conroes available sorry.... the other just dont even exist

Rattle said:
same chip bro and no its not faster, test it and you will see.

actually they're not... the theory is that they are produce on the same batch... but when tested they'll go down the line... in the case of the E6300s they did not pass the intel tests as a E6400... the matter of supply/demand also comes in effect and there are batches where the chip pass E6400 test and still get put out as E6300 in that respect then those 2 chips are the same... this rarely ever happen due to the properties of items such as CPU...

as you can see, the top records are hold by people with X6800 or X6700... the top of the line chips... other factors are included in because people who buy these chips are loaded and normally they would go for the higher chip money can buy... but that doesn't change the manufacturing process of these chips. further more i've had my share of bottom end chips. they OC well but they tend to fall in a pattern. the chips of the higher lvl generally hit the same speed with less work or they hit a higher speed.. the difference is subtle but it still present.

I just ordered some of the Ballistix DDR2-800 from ZZF, although I was tempted by the SuperTalent kit at Newegg. I guess I'm a MIR junkie ;). Ill be getting the rest of the system in a few weeks or less so I can't test it right away I hope it works out well I've seen a few reports here and there of bad sticks from Crucial a little more so than other brands but of course they have a good warranty, I expect that 900MHz+ at 4-4-4-8 like Rattle got will be more than sufficient and if I get that I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM

Okay this is the setup I picked out including the hardware from my first post except the cpu and motherboard. Will this set up work enough for me to run games and applications better than the am2 4200+?

Games will be more dependent on the graphics card unless you run lower resolution and quality settings. But yes it has more potential all around especially for more CPU-dependent apps.

I agree with Rattle about the vid card, in the $250-300 range the ATi offerings are better all around. Either an x1950xt 256MB or a used x1900xt 512MB. The advantage of the 7950GT over the x1950xt 256MB would be for games that *require* 512MB for high quality textures but this range of cards don't always provide playable speeds with all the options set high in the few such games anyway. xbitlabs.com has a recent review that shows this.. The advantage of the x19xx cards is better image quality options.

Yeah but what about the ram and motherboard for that Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

yes I changed it to a duo e6600

MadMan007 said:
Games will be more dependent on the graphics card unless you run lower resolution and quality settings. But yes it has more potential all around especially for more CPU-dependent apps.

I agree with Rattle about the vid card, in the $250-300 range the ATi offerings are better all around. Either an x1950xt 256MB or a used x1900xt 512MB. The advantage of the 7950GT over the x1950xt 256MB would be for games that *require* 512MB for high quality textures but this range of cards don't always provide playable speeds with all the options set high in the few such games anyway. xbitlabs.com has a recent review that shows this.. The advantage of the x19xx cards is better image quality options.

yesser for a madman we see eye to eye

Back